Southeast Asia forum

22 Days in Asia July to Aug

• Gatti_LDN

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2009

I have a bit of a dilemna. My GF and i are looking to go traveling in july (mainly because of her job as a teacher and my need to be in work in august :( )

We're thinking of visiting Malaysia / Borneo in this time, but we're worried about the monsoon / typhoon season. Is it still as worth doing as say October / November.

#1 Posted: 3/6/2009 - 16:51

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Gatti_LDN

The weather is ever only a problem if the things you want to do are best achieved in the dry.

The monsoon is a season. As is the case where you now live, the seasonal weather patterns dictate rain/sun/wind, etc.

Generally, there are two distinct weather experiences in the monsoonal season: constant rain for days on end (often associated with a monsoonal depression or typhoon/cyclone), or sunny days with sporadic heavy showers +/or thunderstorms (generally in the afternoon).

Also the higher up in elevation you go, the wetter it will be.

It is possible that you will hardly inconvenienced by rain, or you could go home looking like drowned rats.

But, isn't not knowing a fun side of travel?

Cheers

#2 Posted: 5/6/2009 - 05:33

• Gatti_LDN

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2009

Your right on that one i think.

OK so how's this for a plan...

Fly to Bangkok and make way to islands or the north (depending on what the missus would prefer) for a week, then on to Malaysia and Borneo.

22 Days long enough ?

#3 Posted: 5/6/2009 - 15:57

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Gatti

When everything is great, there is never enough time. Conversely, when it's a disaster, it's more a case of 'lets go back to work'.

I suggest you look at it this way, 22 days (or 3 weeks) is better than 2 weeks, is better than 1 week, etc.

Personally, I'd either go for Borneo/Kalimantan, or Thailand (not both).

Coastal areas are more prone to showers, mountainous areas can be 'drowned' in low level cloud. But, so what!

If BKK is your destination (due to airline pricing, etc.) I'd suggest your question might be "what do we want to achieve over these 22 days?".

Clearly, only you can answer that.

But, when you answer that question, I suggest destinations start to fall into place.

- - - - -

Turn this same question on its head.

So many tourists look at destinations (in travel mags / blogs / etc) and fall in love with the romance associated with the destination (in the travel mag / blog / etc).

So, instead of getting hooked on a destination, get hooked on what you want to achieve and then look for destinations that will produce.

For example, if swimming in tropical beach locations is your desire, then Indonesia or far north Australia would meet that desire in July.

If just being able to go home saying you'd been to ABC, MNOP, and XYZ is the goal, then climate doesn't matter.

I hope this helps in your planning.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 5/6/2009 - 18:04

• creativeguy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 85

Hey Bruce, good advice above. I just came across this link while looking into a possible trip to Borneo in January or February. This trip started by me thinking about what kind of experience I wanted to have (lots of nature, animals, forest, etc) then what part of the world I'd like to have it in.

What I'm learning from browsing around here it I could easily take a month, even more, just to explore Borneo. I'm thinking of doing that then having a week or two to re-visit Bali seeing friends from my past trip and visiting a couple healers. I'm now checking in flights to arrange all that.

Cheers....

#5 Posted: 17/7/2010 - 06:11

• shahed

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2011

Hello!
    I am Shahed from Bangladesh. I want to travel in Asia(any city) on July for 2 weeks.
    Please can any body help me to guide which city i travel. I don't like hot that much.
    Please please advice me as soon as possible.
    Shahed

#6 Posted: 8/6/2011 - 13:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You don't like the heat but want to travel to Asia - in July?! Forget Asia and come on down to New Zealand! There are cheap fares on Air Asia from KL to Christchurch. Trust me, you won't feel the heat!

#7 Posted: 8/6/2011 - 15:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
40 days in S.E Asia from July 14, starting in Bangkok. Suggested itineraries please ... By turab on 10 Jul 2008 0 2615 10 Jul 2008