Southeast Asia forum

Laos, Cambodia or somewhere in northern Thailand?

• hallf_brick

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

We're going to be in Thailand in the beginning of July and have a week that we're trying to decide what to do with.

Initially we planned on catching the overnight train up to Laos, having a few chilled out nights in Vientiane and a couple of crazy nights tubing in Viang Veng.

Now we're thinking about Cambodia, because we've heard good things. But aren't sure of the logistics of it, or where to best go.

We're basically looking for somewhere we can get to by overnight train, that will be beautiful/relaxing and a nice contrast to the rest of the time we are in Thailand when we are staying in Krabi.

Has anyone been to both Vientiane/Viang Veng and Cambodia. Or does anyone have any other good recommendations for a good place to fill a week without having to travel around tooo much?

#1 Posted: 16/6/2009 - 14:26

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

hallf_brick

You really should have posted this on SE Asia.

You can't rail it from Thailand to either Laos or Cambodia. There is a rail link to the Thai border near Vientiane.

You sound like party animals. I'm assuming you'd be seeking Siem Reap in Cambodia, if so, I doubt you'd get to party too hard: the place is for those doing temples.

Vientiane to VV needs a full day. In any event, if by rail/bus you'd be travelling for 3 straight days to get there.

If partying IS your scene, why not consider Chiang Mai, and go rafting and elephant riding in Pai.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 16/6/2009 - 18:57

• hallf_brick

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

Sorry about posting in the wrong spot.

I thought you can get an overnight train from Bangkok up to Nhong Kai, pop across the bridge to Vientiane, and then the bus to Vang Vieng? So potentially a night and a day of travel?

We're not really going for alot of partying, we just thought the tubing sounded like fun, and alot of people have recommended it.

For a bit of context, we're flying into BKK at 17:00 after a week in the islands, so catching an overnight train somewhere the same day would be ideal, that's part of the appeal of Laos.

#3 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 04:12

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

hallf_brick

Sorry about the assumption details.

For train details, go to:

http://www.seat61.com/Laos.htm#Bangkok%20to%20 Vientiane

Here you'll see that the website advises a train to near Vientiane. Elsewhere on Travelfish, contributors are saying that the link between Nong Khai is not yet operational. On that I don't personally know.

Anyway, it's the same train (#69) that goes through as goes to Nong Khai. So if you can't get a ticket to Thanaleng (Laos), at least you can get to Nong Khai.

The #69 departs at 20:00 (I don't know if the train number is symbolic).

Whichever, you'll arrive in Vientiane in the middle of the day.

As you see on Travelfish (if you look) I really like Laos. The people are 'relaxed', its not too overwhelming with touts, etc., etc.. Nevertheless, I'm wondering why people would spend so much effort to go just tubing. There's many vids of people rafting in VV on the web. Have a look and see if that is really sufficient fun to warrant so much time in travel for an hour or so of 'fun'. Personally, because bus travel in Laos is so tedious, and because the hour or so of tubing is such fun, the contrast probably heightens the 'experience'.

Just double check that the river will be OK for rafting. This is the wet season, so the river may be declared too high for such activities. I'm just suggesting you check that out as a safety measure - I don't know.

Anyway, it's your call.

ps. the train to Cambodia leaves at 5am.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 06:30

• hallf_brick

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

Cheers for the advice BruceMoon.

One of the reasons we're starting to hesitate about heading to Laos was (as you say) it kinda felt like we might be going all that way just for a day of floating down a river.

But I've been reading up on Vientiane with it's laid back vibe, beautiful sunsets, Beer Lao, cruising round on rented bikes and french food and it all sounds pretty good.

From what you've said Laos sounds really nice, and it seems to fit our itinerary pretty well. So if you think we won't be disappointed with a couple of days in Vientiane and a couple in Vang Vieng, we'll probably just stick to the rough plan of heading up there. But we're not tied down to anything really at the moment, so we can always change our mind once we get over there. Best way to be!

I've just got that pre-trip excitement/killing time while at work thing going on. Over-researching everything to the max, cos I'm so goddamn excited :)

#5 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 08:08

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

hallf_brick

The road trip from VV to Luang Prabang is great. Not as good from Vientiane to VV. But, the scenery at VV will be sufficient.

If you've got a week, from BKK, then day 1 to Vientiane, day 2 to VV (I'm told the first bus leaves about 5am, then about 7am). That would allow a half day (on arrival) and 2 whole days in VV, then return to Vientiane to cruise till back to BKK.

Also, if you are departing the international terminal of BKK, you could investigate taking a flight from Vientiane (or even Luang Prabang) to BKK and be there some hours before the big outwards one.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 09:43

• hallf_brick

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

Sounds like a pretty good plan!

Cheers for your help BruceMoon. Can't wait for some sticky rice and beer Lao!

#7 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 09:53

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Oh,

Remember to take a passport pic of yourself and money for the cross border visa.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 10:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Nong Khai has a decent nightlife as well, as does Udon Thani.

Have a good time, and keep us posted how it goes.

#9 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 18:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
27 y/o female heading from Northern Thailand thru Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Thailand ... By starseed on 4 Mar 2011 10 3496 25 Apr 2011
Video: Laos, Northern Thailand and Cambodia ... By somtam2000 on 11 Jul 2010 4 6191 4 May 2012
Itinerary Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos / Northern Thailand ... By schwev on 18 Nov 2013 0 838 18 Nov 2013
Northern Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam/Indonesia March-June 2014 ... By louiisamarie on 3 Feb 2014 3 1390 24 Mar 2014
Travel companion for Northern Thailand & Northern/Central Laos in July/August ... By msfrench001 on 21 Jun 2010 0 2930 21 Jun 2010
Getting from Northern Laos to Northern Thailand ... By Glhaskell on 12 Mar 2009 5 5719 26 Mar 2009
Northern Vietnam & Northern Laos vs. Southern Vietnam and Southeast Cambodia ... By ccalvin09 on 16 Mar 2011 6 6773 17 Mar 2011
cambodia to northern laos? ... By jasonkim8486 on 8 Nov 2009 0 3097 8 Nov 2009
Traveling from northern Laos to Cambodia ? ... By tmcderm on 3 Jan 2009 2 3464 27 Jan 2009
Northern Thailand to Laos ... By googookevin on 17 Jun 2006 1 2397 18 Jun 2006