admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Regular readers will know I occasionally give a plug to blogs and websites I reckon are worth reading. So, read on.

First, one of my favourite Asia travel blogs is Travelhappy. Written by British diving dude Chris Mitchell, he also pens a bunch of other websites including Dive Happy which is a diving guide to SE Asia. If you've got a thing for diving in SE Asia, give it a read.

But, back to Travelhappy, anyone heading to Bangkok, ought to read 12 Ways To Seriously Injure Yourself On A Bangkok Sidewalk -- yes Bangkok pavements really are that bad. Secondly, check out what McDonalds sells in Asia - I particularly liked the Seaweed shaker... Lastly, they've got an excellent KoLanta beach guide, that, well, puts our humble Travelfish coverage to shame...

There's a bunch of other excellent stuff over there, so grab your self some Thai Spicy Fish McDippers and give it a read.

Next is the Matador network of websites. While this began with all the content piled into the main MatadorTravel.com site, they're now spinning the material out to a variety of networked sites -- it sounds confusing (it confused me), but once you get the hang of it, the result is much tighter niches of stuff to read -- and there is a LOT to read -- you will need to set aside a weekend.

The sites are not strictly Asia focussed so you're just as likely to read something about travelling through Baja as a guide to Nan in Thailand, but there is a surprising amount of SE Asia travel related stuff in there. Be it trekking in southern Laos, wandering northern Laos or general advice on how to get off the tourist trail in Asia you're bound to find something to your liking.

But there's a lot more to it than just the travelogues. Consider this cultural heads-up for those visiting Thailand or these tips on Asian food blogs worth reading.

I'd keep on linking, but go check it out yourself as there's another couple of site I want to slip in here.

Phil Lees' Phnomenon has long been at the top of my bookmarks when it came of Cambodian food reading, and it was with great disappointment that I read a yeqar or so back he was pulling up stumps and leaving. So, it was with considerable delight when I read he had returned -- albeit not permanently. So, if you want to learn something about Khmer food and what is happening in The Phnom Penh food scene, give Phnomenon a read.

Phil's blog reminds me of another outstanding foodblog -- Eating Asia -- and by the time you've waded through a few entries on this one, you'll want to eat Asia too. Authored by Robyn Eckhardt, this Malay focussed blog does cover other destinations but the entries are concentrated around Malaysia -- and the pics are brill too! If you've got some favourite blogs or sites you like to refer to, please mention them in the comments below.

#1 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 09:48

• Advertisement

• c1ee

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Just checked Travelhappy out and it was awesome. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW, do you know any similar sites for New Zealand?

#2 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 12:33

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

SomTam

I suggest that comments like c1ee and mine be deleted (periodically), but not those that have a reference to an applicable blog site.

AND, MAKE IT STICKY

Sorry for shouting, its a long way to indo.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 14:55

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Some of my favourite places that I visited in Thailand were inspired by the TravelHappy site. Some of them never featured a mention in LP - or Travelfish, for that matter.

#4 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 14:57

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yet again I stumble on a useful thread by accident! My priciple raison d'etre is snorkelling so thanks for the heads up for the Travelhappy diving guide Somtam.

I can confirm Travelhappy's diving experience with snakes in the Bandas... I even saw sea snakes on the beach of an island near Banda Neira, some were actually climbing the cliffs.... wee ones though, think they'd just hatched and didn't know which way the sea was.

Here's a picture of Gungung Api he was talking about.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8675349@N06/2102884006/in/set-72157600304257236/

As you can see it's a beautiful region of Indonesia but very few tourists go there...probably because getting there is a bit time consuming and uncomfortable.Perfectly safe though,ignore all the travel warnings on your own govt's advisory websites. I always do and I haven't been killed once yet.

PS. I've got a few more pics showing the lava flow from Gunung Api's most recent eruption too ....but no more room on flickr alas!!! *sigh* ;-)

#5 Posted: 17/6/2009 - 18:00

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Somtam thanks for the info. As a diver who loves the chance to eat local as much as possible when I travel to s.e.asia these are great links. good stuff
    swag

#6 Posted: 18/6/2009 - 12:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.