Southeast Asia forum

40 days and nights Bangkok to Hanoi?

• mandor700

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009

Hi,
    Am brand new to these forums but have been enjoying this website for the last few months of idle planning/wish-list making for a trip through SE Asia in Nov/Dec 09.

We have from the 15th of November until the 25th of December and our ideal route would take us from BK through Cambodia and up Vietnam before flying back from Hanoi .

Having read a few posts here however I'm a little concerned as to whether this would be doable/enjoyable for this amount of time.

We are both relatively experienced travellers (though not in this part of the world) and hardy when it comes to travel time and conditions. So we are fine with uncomfortable travel and aren't really looking to lie on a beach for 5 weeks.

Is this (enjoyable and) doable in this amount of time? If so which locations can be missed/which are must-see/dos?

Our (draft) itinerary would be:

Bangkok to Siem Reap & Angkor Watt
    to Phnom Penh
    Phnom Penh to Shianoukville and back
    Phnom Penh to HMC
    Make our way north (I haven't quite planned this part yet, any advice re how much time we should budget and where we should go would be greatly appreciated)
    Hanoi to Ha Long Bay (the obligatory Junk cruse)
    Hanoi to Sapa and hill area
    Fly Hanoi to Bangkok

Is this all doable, and where should we focus our attention?

#1 Posted: 26/6/2009 - 12:17

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

mandor700

The suggested route is 'doable', assuming fly BKK - Siem Reap, PP - SiaGon.

I think I'd be happier making comment if you added:

1/. what is YOUR focus for the journey. That is, (for example) to:

* experience culture in the various places,

* just to see the principle sights/stay in GH (or whatever)/eat meals/etc,

* do tours, etc.

* engage in the travel, eg. ride motorbikes, go sailing, etc.

or some / all of the above,
    and

2/. A more detailed sort of timeframe expectation in each of the various places.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 26/6/2009 - 15:25

• mandor700

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009

Hi BruceMoon,
    We are planning on doing everything bar the Hanoi -Bkk flight overland.

As for our focus, we are much happier doing our own thing than on any sort of tours, and or travel options would reflect this.

This is why I don't feel that moving around would necessarily be so bad for us, and we are hardy enough to function on long bus and train trips, but I obviously don't want to spend ALL the time on a bus.

So our mode of transport would be bus in Thailand and Cambodia, with the option of river travel depending on availability (which I hear is limited these days) and time frame. Then some combination of train and bus in Vietnam, with train being my preference as I'm a bit of a train buff.

As for time we would likely start with
    2 days BKK (arriving late night)
    1-2 days to Siem Reap depending on how lazy we are feeling
    2 days Angkor Watt etc (I know allot of people including yourself recommend more, so we will play it by ear)
    1 day travel to Phnom Penh (depending on MOT, very keen on seeing the lake)
    From here we would probably look to have a week - 10 days in Phnom Penh, Shianoukville and anywhere else we choose (still early days).
    From here getting to HCMC (once again depending on MOT but likely bus)

As I said Vietnam is where I am having trouble due to being unsure of exactly how intense the travel will be to get from top to bottom. Assuming the above schedule and a bit of a safety cushion we still have 20-25 days to make it to Hanoi and back to Bangkok with hopefully a few days there at the end also.

If we feel that the schedule is very tight I feel like we probably could loose a few days in Cambodia in favour of Vietnam.

#3 Posted: 26/6/2009 - 15:51

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

mandor700

As you say, your itinerary is still early days and subject to change - I suggest it will.

Re: Siem Reap, the passes are 1 or 3 days (the latter being advisable). Also look at:

http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-siemreap-guide-other.htm

especially note the comments re: Kampong Khleang.

The Tonle Sap journey to PP is long & from reports, just a flat water experience where you mostly see only water!!!

- - -

On another post here the traveller is going from the Mekong Delta to Cambodia. Maybe you can entertain doing the reverse:

PP > Sihanoukville > Kep > Ha Tien > Rach Gia > Can Tho > Saigon (as a route, not necessarily day by day).

This would 'save' time returning to PP, and then motoring down the Mekong.

- - - -

The VN part needs a few ideas from you.

The train largely follows Highway 1, and this IS the tourist trail. So, what you will see are the tourists, the touts, etc., etc. The real Vietnam lies where the tourists are not.

Nevertheless, are you interested in being with other tourists doing the tourist 'must see' ala Lonely Planet? Or, do you want a mix of tourist trail with beaches? Or, would you prefer just of the 'trail' a bit. If so, what do you want to do other than have your bum on a seat?

I'll await your considerations here before adding.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 27/6/2009 - 15:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I wish I could find an easy way to get from Muk to Hanoi - but it's just a long trip no matter what.

#5 Posted: 27/6/2009 - 23:21

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

mandor700

I just read another post of Vietnam, maybe you can read and consider for your journey.

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/6282_the-real-easyriders-

Especially read the last contribution by 'Jules'. I'm envious and wanting to 'do it' already.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 08:16

• mandor700

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009

Thanks for all your help.

I am particularly keen on the PP > Sihanoukville > Kep > Ha Tien > Rach Gia > Can Tho > Saigon route you suggested which does seem like a great roundabout route and potentially would be (slightly) less touristy than what we will be experiencing elsewhere.
    Any idea roughly how long this would take and a leisurely (but not crawling) pace?

I've always wanted to do a motorcycle tour but I'm not sure if we will have the time unfortunately to pull off one like this. Like you I am quite jealous however.

#7 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 06:26

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

mandor

...PP > Sihanoukville > Kep > Ha Tien > Rach Gia > Can Tho > SaiGon...

Using LP:

PP > Sihanoukville - 4 hours,
    Sihanoukville > Kampot > Kep - 3 hours,
    Kep > Ha Tien - 1/2 hour,
    Ha Tien > Rach Gia - 2 hours,
    Rach Gia > Can Tho - 2 to 3 hours,
    Can Tho > SaiGon - 4 hours,
    Rach Gia > SaiGon - 6 to 7 hours (there are night buses).

In most cities (except Siem Reap) motor bikes are available for hire and are a fun way of seeing the places. But, I'd not use in capital cities as one is competing for space with urban guerilla's - and an accident might cost you plenty if the other driver seeks extortion (less a problem in more rural locations).

Cheers

#8 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 08:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Good advice Bruce. Riding a bike in Bangkok is high adventure.

#9 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 16:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Advice for 2 Nights/3 Days near Bangkok ... By Merrianne on 16 May 2011 6 2790 27 May 2011
12 Nights in Thailand - 3 Days in Bangkok - what to do with the other 9? ... By jamtastx on 12 Oct 2014 0 451 12 Oct 2014