Southeast Asia forum

Tour of Southeast Asia..Help

• ilookold

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2009
    Location United States

hello, i am trying to plan for a 1 year trip to southeast asia. its really a diving trip. im in no hurry to go anywhere, if i like a place i would like to stay there longer than other places. i want to stay close to the beach but be in a place that i can take and go up country too. i have been to thailand a few times and love it. i would like to go back there and also the rest of southeast asia. my biggest concern would be what an estimated cost would be. im not to picky on nice hotels. sometimes i will splurge on one but most of the time its the cheap places just because i like them better. i figure the most expensive part would be the diving. i also would rather not take a bus anywhere. a train or plane would be nice just no bus. if anyone could give me some ideas or help me locate an article about someone that has already done something like this i would be much appreciative. thanks.

#1 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 18:40

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

ilookold

If I plan your journey, would you fund me to do it for you?

- - -

Seriously, there is so much info here on Travelfish that I'm thinking you've found this wonderful site, but have yet to explore.

First, there are the (popular) journey's...

In the grey box above, scroll down 'Before you leave' and choose an area. That will reveal sample journey's.

Then, above the grey area, a host of nations are listed. Choose any one, read all about it and explore the links therein.

And, if that's not enough, read the articles on the 'Stories' link (next to the countries). Each storey has an amazing level of detail that can easily inform your planning of your itinerary.

But, the piece de la resistance is the 'Search Travelfish' box in the grey area above. Just type in some words, be they places, or issues, and read what others have had to say over many years.

So, ilookold, with this info, just go for it!

Cheers

#2 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 19:23

• ilookold

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2009
    Location United States

well thank you. im not really looking for a planned trip. just an estimate on how much costs would be for trying to do this for a year, seeing southeat asia and just diving. thanks for the info though ill dig around and read more on the site. thanks.

#3 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 19:33

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

ilookold

That would be helpful.

Then, when you've got a rough itinerary in your mind, make a new post on Travelfish seeking advice / ideas. Makes it easier when contributors know YOUR intentions, motives, etc.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 07:34

• DShearer86

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Bruce

The guy has clearly stated his intentions and motives.

ilookkold, does it go a little something like this...

"I am planning a trip around South East Asia for a year. My focus for this trip is diving. It's not my first trip to Thailand, want to be near beach but also close to other activites / sights, etc. Would prefer to use bus as little as possible. Does any one have any suggestions about excellent dive locations? Could any one offer advice on how much dive tours and related costs would be?"

Perhaps then Bruce, one could say...

" Hey ilookkold, that sounds like a great trip. I did a diving tour around the South Pacific a few years ago. It was amazing, have you ever been around there?
    As for Thailand, I assume as you've been before you know about Ko Tao. It has great diving and you could fly to Ko Samui from Bangkok and catch a ferry from Samui to Tao. With out using buses though you will have to back track and use some illogical routes. For example, from Tao you could get a ferry to Chumpon and train to Bangkok, then fly to Phuket and dive from there at various sites http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/2825_diving-in-thailand or you could ferry from Tao to Samui, then connect by ferry to Surat Thani and bus it to Phuket."
    The cost of internal flights in South East Asia is minimal compared to other parts of the world, for example, a flight from Bangkok to Ko Smaui is around 2000 - 2500 BHT, so around 60 - 75 USD. Now to get the obligatory buses and ferries and taxies etc etc to do the same trip would certainly be cheaper, probably around half the cost. As for the cost of diving I do not know as I have never been diving in South East Asia, this is just an example to BruceMoon of what a constructive reply is...

I seriously did do that diving in the South Pacific though, have you been there? Stunning!

#5 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 17:39

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

DShearer86

Yes, sarcasm is the greatest form of wit.

But, tell me...

If when you are trying to help people, you are faced with the requester providing minimal information, and you give freely, only to find the person really wanted to do something else, do you get frustrated?

Essentially, this is the problem: there is so much information on Travelfish - where does one start.

I have written to so many contributors who jump on Travelfish and write seeking advice, but who haven't sought to search the great amount of information held in the website. I've come to the view that essentially, these 'vague' people are really wanting someone to fashion out the basics so that they can then refine for themselves.

To me, If I am prepared to give of my time and experience, I expect people to have done some research so that they have a reasonable idea of what they want to do.

Freeloaders...bleagh!!!!!!

Cheers (from a grumpybum)

#6 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 19:01

• gypsy75

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2009
    Location New Zealand

Hey ilookold,

There is some amazing diving spots in the Perenthian Islands just off the East Coast of Malaysia. The water clarity is superb, the dives are cheaper and apparently much better than Thailand sites.

If you are adverse to long bus trips you can fly into Kota Bahru or take a train from KL, then it is only a short trip by bus or mini-van if you prefer to get to the port of Kuala Besut.

A short and fun speed boat ride away and you're there. You can stay on either the big island - Pulau Perhentian Besar or the smaller island Pulau Perhentian Kecil depending on what kind of vibe you are after. I stayed on the smaller island as it is a little more 'backpacker' in terms of accommodation offering and crowd.

There are turtles, sharks and marine life aplenty just metres off the coast.

The smaller island has two main beaches with walking access between and then a number of smaller beaches with boat access only.

For diving etc it will be better to stay on one of the main beaches - either Long Beach or Coral Beach. It is only a 15 minute walk through the jungle to reach the other side - but make sure you have a headlamp to avoid stepping on Monitor Lizards!

Anyway, I highly recommend you check it out. We stayed for 10 days and could easily have remained there.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 13:50

• thailand_as-
    ia

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009
    Location Germany
    Total reviews: 2

try malayaysia (perhentian islands)! its a perfect destinations for scuba divers, cheap and many coulors and big fishes. i paid at spice divers on longbeach about 10 usd for each dive. koh chang in thailand i can recomended in november to january for diving, great visibilities on great diving spots. here on ko chang is "hin luk bat" my favourite dive site. On bali i went to the tulamben wreck which was till now my greatest wreck, 30meters deep and really huge. if you stay on bali try aswell the manta point, here you have nearly a manta garantee. i saw 6 huge rays on one dive, amazing!!!
    many whishes andre

#8 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 17:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
SouthEast Asia : Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam Tour Suggestions ... By jexplore on 10 Mar 2013 9 4513 14 Nov 2013