Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary too crazy?

• travelingch-
    inese

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2009

We will be flying in between each connection... but it just seems so tiring (I am getting tired just reviewing this itinerary). What do you think we should cut out? We only have two weeks, and will not be back in South East Asia for a while (sad):

5-Aug Chicago to Hong Kong
    6-Aug Hong Kong to Hanoi
    7-Aug Hanoi to Halong Bay
    8-Aug Halong Bay
    9-Aug Halong Bay - Hanoi
    10-Aug Hanoi - Luang Prabang
    11-Aug Luang Prabang
    12-Aug Luang Prabang
    13-Aug Luang Prabang to Siem Reap
    14-Aug Siem Reap
    15-Aug Siem Reap
    16-Aug Siem Reap
    17-Aug Siem Reap to Hong Kong
    18-Aug Hong Kong to Chicago

#1 Posted: 2/7/2009 - 22:04

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

travelingchinese

It's very tight, but (as Somtam says) 'do-able'.

However, I suggest the weather may be against you for Halong Bay. This is the wet time of year. For more on seasons, go to:

http://www.travelfish.org/vietnam-weather.php

Though it is the early part of the wet season, it MAY be sunny, showery, rainy, or some combination.

Last week, the whole area was covered by dense cloud. Today was sun everywhere early, and now the afternoon rain clouds have set in

Go see at:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=HaNoi,%20Vietnam&wuSelect=WEATHER

If you 'right click' on the small picture to the left side to open in a new tab/window, you'll see just how dense the cloud really is. Halong Bay is about where the 'g' is in Hai Phong (on the right side).

But, in a weeks' time, it may all be sunny again - that's weather.

- - - -

To be frank, Halong Bay is such a nice place when clear and sunny (even overcast), but I wouldn't waste my money if it was going to be wet, or foggy. You just wouldn't see anything to justify the expense.

Given this, I think I'd suggest that you skip HaNoi and head straight for Luang Prabang.

I'd then give at least another day to Siem Reap and break the templing up a little by heading to Tonle Sap for a day. Tonle Sap was/is the lifeblood of the Angkorian empire. Go to:

http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-siemreap-guide-other.htm

and scroll down to look especially at "Kompong Khleang".

And, in the event that you spend more time at LP, you may entertain taking the boat up the Mekong & Nam Ou to Nong Khiaw and spending a day or two in that area. You can return to LP by bus or boat.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 09:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam/SE Asia Itinerary--Are we crazy or smart? ... By tgeorge1792 on 25 Apr 2012 7 2338 26 Apr 2012