Southeast Asia forum

Fisherman pants, Hilltribe pants, Etc.

• think87

Click here to learn more about think87
    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Just curious as to the views of the posters here on these items. :-P

When you see someone wearing them, do you think "wow" or do you see "When in thailand, do as the thai's do"?

Also, do you favor keeping your own dress or try to adapt in each country you visit?

#1 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 09:34

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

When in Rome, do what is comfortable and does not offend...

Cheers

#2 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 12:28

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

*shudders*

I like my own clothes... I'm 1/2 Chinese but don't look Asian and so don't see the point in trying to blend in. Just my point of view. I haven't been backpacking (yet) but when I do I'm going to make a concious decision/attempt NOT to look like one - no offence meant at all, it's just too, ah, scruffy (??) for my liking!

#3 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 12:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The clothing styles here vary just as much as everywhere else in the world. "Traditional" clothing is dead as fried chicken. Sure, some people, esspecially in boring villages that are pointless to visit, still wear some "traditional" accouterements. And I'm sure some hill tribes are too poor to wear anything other than what they make themselves. But generally, in all the cities, people wear "normal" clothes. I wear the same clothes here I wore when I lived in Germany in the summer or Africa. Me wearing "fisherman's pants" here would look as foolish as me wearing Lederhosen were I living in Bavaria.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 19:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Normally when in Bangkok I avoid all the normal tourist locations - I go there to dance or take care of buisiness, not to sightsee (which I don't like doing anywhere). But this time I picked up a friend of mine and he had to see all the classic tourist haunts - Emerald Bhudda, Jim Thompson House... etc. I found it somewhat humorous that there were thousands of people dressed as charicatures of bakcpackers there. Do people come here and suddenly morph? I was the only anglo guy dressed in jeans (the only other jeans I saw were on Thais). And the only people wearing "fishermans pants" and the like were tourists.

#5 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 12:06

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

I prefer the short legged fisherman pants when I,m down on the islands.Cheap to buy, easy to rinse out and dry and pretty comfortable. Having said that I don.t wear them when I'm Bangkok as such.Prefer a standard pair of cotton shorts and s/s cotton shirt.Can't abide by t shirts and jeans bit too hot for me

#6 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 12:27

• fivesilver

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2008
    Total reviews: 7

Posted from within Vietnam.

We're on a long-term trip. There's been plenty of trial and error with clothing, but on a budget, when you're occasionally having to hand-wash and dry overnight, I've found purpose-made travel clothing (particularly trousers) really good.

I've got a couple of pairs. They've got plenty of pockets, which come in handy on occasion, but I don't stuff half my belongings into them and end up looking like a GI on long-haul jungle patrol.

The best thing about them is that they're light, and thus keep you cool as well as drying quickly. It's also handy to have a couple of zip pockets for security.

It's also pretty easy now to get travel clothes that don't scream "TRAVEL CLOTHES!".

To get back to the original poster's point, I did try out the FPs, and found them very comfortable, but gave up on them after deciding that I looked like a complete klutz (maybe that's just me, though ^__^).

I agree with swag, though - there's a place and time for everything.

#7 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 12:40

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

>>Do people come here and suddenly morph?

#8 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 20:23

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

>>Do people come here and suddenly morph?

#9 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 20:25

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

WHAT GIVES??? Cut off twice in a row!

I've wondered the same thing myself many, many times, especially when I used to wander KSR on the odd evening a while back. The cornbraids, the ubiquitous and monotonous tatooos, the piercings, the fishermans' pants, etc.

I'd always wonder if this is how these folks are at home, or does being away from the social restrictions of home suddenly free one up to be who they really are, or have they all just had a bit too much to drink and will regret the spiderweb tatoo now gracing their face?

Suppose this could be the subject for an entire thread, and I'm sure there would be many interesting observations, especially from those who have seen the changes over the last few decades.

But, to the question at hand, I try to dress appropriately and according to the situation. For example, I could never understand why I was always the last one sitting alone on buses and trains until I stopped wearing shorts when going from A to B. Oh ... I stopped drinking beer on the buses, too. That helped.

I lived and worked with a guy in a small village near Lopburi, and this guy figured he'd be more respected and accepted if he fit in more. So he took to wearing fisherman's pants, the dark blue cotton shirts, and a rice-picker's hat whenever he went out. People would cover their mouths laughing, and point at him whenever he walked by. Hardly the acceptance and respect he was expecting. He just looked like, as Fivesilver says, "a complete klutz," and as out of place as "wearing Lederhosen were I living in Bavaria." I refused to be seen with him. Tough in a village of less than 400.

I think that if one wanted to dress as an average Thai dresses, one would have to make a serious investment in English Premiership football jerseys of various sizes and colours, focusing on Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester, and Chelski.

#10 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 20:26

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

off-topic:
    Tilapia, did you happen to type the mathematical symbol for 'greater than' or 'lesser than'? one of them (forgot which) will result in all text immediately after it vanishing into never-never-land. be warned :)

#11 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 21:52

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, I did. That might be the problem because whenever I seem to get cut-off it is when I am pasting someone else's quotes, and I use those symbols instead of quotation marks.

Good observation, and thanks for passing it along. Mr. Somtam will take note of this.

Cheers

#12 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 22:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"...and will regret the spiderweb tatoo now gracing their face?"

This is a distinct possibility. And if it's not, it should be.

#13 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 23:36

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks wanderingcat, it looks like it was a prob with lines starting with <"

So if Tilapia was quoting someone like this:

<"I think fisherman pants are groovy

Then everything after the <" would get nuked.

As you can see it is no longer happening, but if you come across the same prob elsewhere, do let me know.

#14 Posted: 13/8/2009 - 07:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Pants ... By worldbound on 27 Feb 2011 10 3223 2 Mar 2011
Pants ... By Kayleen on 6 Nov 2009 6 3284 26 Nov 2009
Picaridin, Nets, Rabies, and long pants ... By SoloGirls on 12 Jan 2014 1 3490 13 Jan 2014
Can I buys me some mosquito spray in Thailand and do I need long pants? ... By Benjamin on 13 Jun 2006 4 2353 30 Jun 2006