Southeast Asia forum

18 says in Asia

• fiddlerd

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2009

Hello -

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for late October early November.

We are planning on 18 days in Thailand, but would really like to see Vietnam too. Do we have enough time? What should we do?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 20:26

• Advertisement

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hey

I'd suggest having a look around this site first as it contains most the information you'll need to plan/have a good holiday is SE Asia then coming back with more specific questions. You will probably end up with more helpful answers that why too! [not like this one!]

Chris

#2 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 22:22

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

i don't know if i read your question right there actually - by "what should we do?" i presumed you meant activities in which case the above holds true. However, if you meant 'what should we do' in terms of whether to try and see some of Thailand AND Vietnam then i'd probably say you'd get more out of seeing either/or as you'll be able to take your time, relax and see more of that country and hopefully enjoy it more as a result. At least this is how i've approached my impending travels...

hope that helps

#3 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 22:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

18 days - personally I would NOT do both. I would pick one and see what I could of that one. Even then, 18 days is just scratching the surface of anyplace really. I've lived in Thailand two years and am still learning things about the place all the time.

#4 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 22:42

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

fiddlerd

I'm with the others as well.

However, we really don't know what you are 'doing' in Thailand for the 18 days. If it were, for example, a week in Bangkok, and flying to spend a week on an island, then flying to spend a day or two at a holiday tourist destination in Vietnam would be OK.

However, if you are planning a couple (or more) days at several places in Thailand with travel in between, then, yes, stay in Thailand.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 04:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"However, we really don't know what you are 'doing' in Thailand for the 18 days. If it were, for example, a week in Bangkok, and flying to spend a week on an island, then flying to spend a day or two at a holiday tourist destination in Vietnam would be OK."

I agree, but what's the point? I mean, once you've found a nice play to chill why roam around? If you came to chill, then there's no point in chilling at lots of different places. Once you've found a good one, might as well stay there and not waste time or money you could use chillin' to go someplace else. Not in that short amount of time anyway.

#6 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 11:14

• fiddlerd

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2009

Here is my rough itinerary:

1 day in Hanoi
    2 day cruise in Halong Bay
    Fly from Hanoi to Siem Reap
    3 Days in Siem Reap
    Fly from Seim Reap to Bangkok
    Spend 2 days in Bangkok
    Night train to Chiang Mai
    2 nights in Chiang Mai
    Then to the beach somewhere for a week.

Questions: Is this too much to try to fit in? What beach should we go to in Thailand?

#7 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 21:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It would certainly be too much for me. Too much time, too much money...

As for beaches, pick someting on the Bay of Siam.

#8 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 23:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As per Madmac -- that's a lot of miles in a short time.

Which that much flying, why bother with the train? May as well fly that to and then fly down to southern Thaialnd for the islands -- do it that way and look into Bangkok Airways Discovery Airpass -- may save you a little cash.

Early November I'd lean towards the Andaman Coast, you may get a little rain, but both sides see some rain on Nov.

Hope that helps

#9 Posted: 18/7/2009 - 06:55

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

fiddlerd

You initially wrote:

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for late October early November..

I earlier replied on the assumption you were actually going to holiday as though you were undertaking a honeymoon, not a quick gallop across a small part of this wonderful world.

One really big negative from rushed travel is that the traveller gets tired, frustrated, irritable, and readily tends to display undesirable behaviour.

From my perspective, this holiday ought be about the two of you relaxing together and enjoying all the great things that married life has to offer.

If you really want to show each other what undesirable behaviour you can each display, the itinerary you suggest in post #7 looks like it'll achieve results.

If, on the other hand, you do want to spend your first married holiday in bliss, maybe just head for southern Thailand, maybe book a place for a couple of nights to get you started, then just take life as it goes. Move on when you feel like doing that, stay where it feels comfortable. And, make your choices as a couple...

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 18/7/2009 - 07:55

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Wise advice Bruce. Very wise.

#11 Posted: 18/7/2009 - 16:50

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I agree Bruce. Wouldn't want to spend my honeymoon on planes, trains and busses.

#12 Posted: 18/7/2009 - 21:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.