Southeast Asia forum

21 days Saigon to Chiang Mai

• 21days

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

My friends and I are planning a 3 week trip from Saigon to Chiang Mai.

Plan is to spend about a week to get to Hanoi and we want to go to the gibbon experience (that being the real issue getting there) we will overnight train in Vietnam to get around fly to laos and possibly fly to the houy xai for the gibbons as i think a 2 day slow boat will consume too much time and I get sea sick.

Just wanted to know which places we should stop at along the way are for how long? Also how hard is it to get a flight to houy xai?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 05:54

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

I suggest you need to give us more details.

In the grand scheme of things, 21 days is not very much.

You can 'waste' a lot of your journey on travel, thus seeing much but experiencing little, or get focussed and enjoy much.

Until there is more detail from you about where/when/etc., I doubt anyone can make an objective observation.

Personally, I wouldn't be allocating just a week from SaiGon to HaNoi. And, I'd like to know more about your expectations regarding the HaNoi to Huay Xai part of the journey.

Try reading here to plan for your journey, and then determine what you want to do/see.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 08:12

• 21days

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Really aren't to many expectations. There are 6-7 of us going. want to see the tunnels in saigon halong bay go to luang prabang in laos and tubing and the gibbon experience. I have read alot of this site but its just a real backpacker early 20s trip, i like doing things more than just taking in towns which is not like most on this site. It a quick trip but we like to be busy so going hiking swimming that sort of thing appeals.

#3 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 09:44

• 21days

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Sorry the grammer was really bad in that

#4 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 09:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

21 days - no worries. This isn't an English class.

"I have read alot of this site but its just a real backpacker early 20s trip, i like doing things more than just taking in towns which is not like most on this site."

You're going to love it here then. Group is a little big for my tastes. Will require some flexibility on everyone's part. Like you I am a city boy who wants to do - not see. Looks like you picked some good locations to do though... have fun.

#5 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 11:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.