Southeast Asia forum

High risk places people should avoid

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

We had some discussion on this recently reference southern Thailand. I recommend giving that area a miss - especially if you want to go hiking or hang out on remote beaches. The level one insurgency there has claimed over 3,000 lives since 2004.

I also recommend avoiding hiking along the Burmese border area (particularly on the Burmese side - but also the Thai side). There is consierable drug smuggling along this border, the Thai Army runs patrols on its side and there are active insurgent groups on the opposite side.

Any other areas folks recommend avoiding for security risks or other hazards?

#1 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 12:20

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

John (MAC)

Staying out of harms way is a central precept in travelling. On that I have no qualms.

However, one also needs to balance reality with fear driven campaigns.

A couple of years ago, I was at a village aside the upper Mae Nam Moei and it was quite disconcerting to be under the watchful eye of a Myanmar machine gun post.

But, that post doesn't necessarily mean anyone will get shot anytime soon.

Similarly, I was wandering along the border area near Ban Thoet Thai and was at one stage prevented from entering an area by Thai Army due to their 'activities'. That I was in a car and accidentally reversed into the guard post with a loud bang, bringing out hordes of rifle toting militia from the nearby bunkhouse, merely made for a good story. I never worried that they'd take aim.

For mine, the Thailand gov't knows the issues along the border with Myanmar. Where tourists or locals may be involved with conflict, I suggest the Thai gov't is very mindful of the circumstances and will prevent entry to those 'conflict' areas.

There are some tourists that read fear driven Travel Warning statements from their (originating) nations' foreign affairs dep't (or whatever its called in each country), and decide not to go anywhere near a cited area (like 100's of miles). To me, that's dumb (but I do like the absence of dumb tourists in these remote regions, so maybe there is merit).

As I contributed above...

Staying out of harms way is a central precept in travelling. On that I have no qualms.

However, one also needs to balance reality with fear driven campaigns.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 13:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Of course, today in the news three backpackers were just arrested by Iranian border security for straying across the border...

I agree you shouldn't let fear dictate what you're doing, just apply common sense and do your homework. I would include in that avoiding places with active insurgencies.

There are doubtless some places with other hazards that are not human generated. Anyone know of any?

#3 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 14:07

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"There are doubtless some places with other hazards that are not human generated. Anyone know of any?"

I was out snorkelling on my own when a tsunami hit. Does that count? ;-)

Other hazards, not man made ...hmm...snakes?...I found a king cobra on the floor of my beach hut once and almost stepped on a green pit viper on the way to the restaurant one evening.

Not hiking on the Burmese border reminds me of a guy I met who was working in a GH in Burma. I asked him why he was limping and he showed me his leg, or rather lack of one. He'd stepped on a land mine on the Thai side of the border when he'd tried to get into Thailand illegally to find work.

#4 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 15:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best places to meet people? ... By Chewy1 on 5 Feb 2014 7 1318 6 Apr 2014
Yoga, ayurveda, vipassana, permaculture - looking for places and people ... By gajasa on 22 Jun 2014 5 635 29 Jul 2014