Southeast Asia forum

HELP!!thailand,malaysia and singapore 35 days

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

hello everybody
    im new here and i will be travelling on 27th of august to bangkok and stay there for 5 weeks.
    does someone has a good itinerary to recommend me about this 3 countries. because of the weather i think is better to go to malaysian beaches than thailand beaches.
    another question with a USD1000 will be enough to do this?or how much i need?
    thanks,
    matias

#1 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 14:27

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Five weeks, one thousand bucks, three countries??? Travel, visa fees, food and lodging... not to mention beer and women - not enough.

#2 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 14:31

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

matias

I'm wondering how new you are to Travelfish.

Reason?

Well, Travelfish has a heap of 'rough' itineraries for people like you.

Try looking at [url=http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/laos-vietnam-cambodia[this itinerary or this alternate offer.

Personally, I think you should go look at the countries listed at the top of the page - ie. under the blue Travelfish logo where is says Home I Cambodia I Laos I Malaysia I ...etc. - and choose NO MORE than 1 (one) region in a country PER WEKK.

Putting this into perspective. If you want to see the beaches of southern Thailand, choose to spend a week there 9and just choose ONE location). If you want to visit the north of Thailand, choose just ONE town/city in that location and centre yourself around that place.

So, if you want to see Thailand, that means a minimum of 3 weeks: One week in/around Bangkok, one week in/around a beach location, one week in/around a northern city, etc.

What you want to do for Laos and Cambodia is also a ONE week per location/region situation.

I wrote on the mix between running around trying to see everything versus experiencing enjoyment here. Go read it, it may assist.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 18:19

• CG

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

If you skip Malaysia and Singapore you should be able to do with 1k usd

#4 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 02:57

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

thanks everyone for their replies.
    ok i will bring more money to the trip.
    and about the duration of the trip i cant do it anything is just my holidays so do you think i can do it bangkok, south of thailand(including full moon party on september 4th) then malaysia and singapore and fly back to bankgok in 5 weeks? and if not what is the best i can do it in 5 weeks considering i don't want to go to laos, cambodia and vietnam. maybe this countries on another trip.
    thanks,
    matias

#5 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 12:04

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

matimulinaris

The short answer is NO.

The long answer as to why is found here.

As I said above, minimum ONE WEEK per city/region. So, 5 weeks = 5 cities / regions.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 12:22

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

thank you i read all
    so what five regions you recommend me considering in thailand bangkok and the south, malaysia and singapore.
    thanks

#7 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 12:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Bangkok, Hua Hin, Koh whatever, Phuket. If I had five weeks I certainly wouldn't try to go to more than one country. It's not enough time to learn much of the language as it is.

#8 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 13:11

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

ok thanks
    but im not interested in north thailand. this is my first trip by my own and i just have 5 weeks, i know is few time but can be possible to do one week bangkok,one week full moon party, one week south thailand, 2 weeks in malaysia including some days on a beach if possible, and 4 or 5 days in singapore.i know this is about 6 weeks but just to you to know where im interested to go, can be possible and if not what place is better to avoid.
    i know the recomendations is not more than one country but i want to visit this haha.
    thanks,
    matias

#9 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 13:35

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

matimulinaris

I wrote earlier:

1/.

Bangkok for a week or so:

That is, Bangkok, the Royal Place, retail therapy, ...

Maybe spend a day starting out early at the floating market then going to Kanchaburi (spend a night there) to see Hellfire pass etc. (look up Kanchaburi here on Travelfish for more), maybe another day at Ayuthaya (if you are into ancient ruins).

2/.

Up north, maybe Chiang Mai .

From there, you could go to Chiang Dao to go trekking, or to Pai to ride/swim with elephants.

3/.

Down south.

As JohnMac says 'Koh whatever'.

4/.

Kuala Lumpur - 3 or 4 days...

then overland to Melaka

2 days...

then overland to Singapore via Jahore Bahru. for remainder of time.

personally, 3 days would suffice in Singapore (I would spend a little more in Chiang Mai region).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 13:36

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

matias

Sorry, your last post came before I finished this so didn't see.

I get the feeling that you are into party central...

Thus...

Bangkok (as I suggested) - to Kanchanaburi, then overland to Hua Hin, then Phuket to...

Full moon party

Another island area (Koh whatever) (or reverse order)

From this, I would NOT entertain doing any beaches in Malaysia - in comparison, where you could readily get to in Malaysia you'll have seen and been to much better in Thailand.

So, either you fly to Malaysia (go check out Firefly or AirAsia...) from either Phuket or Koh Samui or similar to either penang or Kuala Lumpur, or

You train it from around Phun Phin to Butterworth (for Penang ).

Spend a couple of days on Penang - for the Nonya culture, then fly Kuala Lumpur.

A couple of days KL, then overland (by bus) to Melaka, a couple of days, then overland to Jahore Bahru (a day or 2) across the causeway and into Singapore. For me, 3 days Singapore max.

Cheers

#11 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 14:07

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"im not interested in north thailand. this is my first trip by my own and i just have 5 weeks, i know is few time but can be possible to do one week bangkok,one week full moon party, one week south thailand, 2 weeks in malaysia including some days on a beach if possible, and 4 or 5 days in singapore.i know this is about 6 weeks but just to you to know where im interested to go, can be possible and if not what place is better to avoid."

If you are flying home from Bangkok then leave any shopping and most of your Bangkok time till the end of your trip. Cities are more expensive to stay in and you may be tempted to buy clothes, souvenirs etc which you will then have to carry around with you on the rest of your trip. If you spend too much money at the beginning you may find yourself unable to do all the other places.

Spend a night or two in BKK on arrival to get over any jet lag. I presume you'll be staying around Khao San Road. Get a massage and spend the day visiting Wat Po and the Grand Palace which are near there. They are very quick and easy to get to on the river ferry from Khao San Road. Try to resist getting blind drunk on arrival in KSR. Bangkok is a safe city but being drunk on KSR increases your chances of being a victim of theft/aggression significantly. That would rather ruin the rest of your holiday.

Then get an overnight bus or a sleeper train to Surat Thani and go to Ko Phagnan. Ditto the warning about getting excessively drunk/stoned there. KSR and the full moon party on Ko Phagnan are the two places where shit happens most often in Thailand.

You sound like you're mainly interested in a beach holiday. The weather will probably be better on the Gulf coast. You may well end up spending the whole two weeks on Ko Phagnan but Ko Tao is easy and cheap to get to from there, so you could go there for your second week in the south if you want. There's more snorkelling and diving there but it's got a similar "party" atmosphere.

You can continue on to Malaysia by train or bus without going back to BKK. If you don't want to go to Ko Tao then you could stop off at Trang and stay on one of the many islands around there but the weather may not be so good at that time of year.

The bus between Penang and KL is cheap, very comfortable and only takes about 5 hours so you don't really need to fly between those two places.
    If you do want a beach in Malaysia then the Perhentians would probably best suit you. Otherwise you can spend some time in Penang, Melaka, the Cameron highlands etc.

After Singapore fly back to BKK on a budget airline like Air Asia or Tiger airways.

In BKK check out the weekend market at Chatuchak for last minute shopping and do some side trips to places like Kanchanaburi or Ayutthaya if you have enough time left.

#12 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 16:44

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

You wrote...

"The bus between Penang and KL is cheap, very comfortable and only takes about 5 hours so you don't really need to fly between those two places. If you do want a beach in Malaysia then the Perhentians would probably best suit you. Otherwise you can spend some time in Penang, Melaka, the Cameron highlands etc."

Normally you offer profoundly great advice.

I suggest here that while your advice is good, it doesn't fit this (prospective) traveller.

matias has 5 weeks.

I would have also suggested the islands on the east-side of Malaysia (in the Gulf of Thailand), but I doubt this prospective traveller has the time to organise to go there. And, given that getting to Merang or K. Terengganu isn't necessarily straightforward (or easy), I felt this party person may have preferred a straightforward 'deal'.

I also disagree on the use of bus between Penang & KL. AirAsia are offering flights often at about the same price as the bus (and heaps easier).

I don't know when you were last at the Cameron Highlands, but given I was there a couple of years ago, I'd never recommend that YUK REVOLTING NASTY place. It may have been OK once, but it's absolutely crap now. If one wants to see a semblance of British 'enjoyments' in the highlands (or at least a reflection of same) Fraser Hill (Bukit Fraser) is all that's left.

Cheers

#13 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 18:25

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Bruce, while I bow to your superior knowledge of peninsula Malaysia, I disagree about the flight between Penang and KL a lot easier and quicker than the bus!

If you fly, you have to get to the airport on Penang from Georgetown. This takes about 45 minutes in a taxi depending on traffic and will set you back about 35 ringgit. You have to be at the airport at least an hour before your flight leaves... ie it takes a minimum of two hours just to get on the plane.

The flight from Penang to KL takes 50 minutes. You get off the plane and then have to wait to collect your luggage. Then you have to catch a bus from the airport into town ...another 8/9 ringgit and that journey can take 90 minutes or longer depending on traffic.

In other words if you fly, it's going to take approximately the same time as going by bus.

Here is an example of a luxury coach which will get you directly from Penang to central KL with none of the mucking about, waiting in queues and getting to and from the airport that is unavoidable whenever you take a plane. Personally I think THE BUS is heaps easier on that particular route!! Far more comfortable seats and it gives you a chance to look at the scenery too.

http://www.malaysiasite.nl/nice.htm

PS. I took cheaper buses than that one and even they were pretty luxurious.

If you get the bus you go straight from point A to point B.

#14 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 20:21

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

I suppose I see it differently, I tend to avoid taxi's (local transport is often part of my journey), and I always have carry on only.

Nevertheless, your point is well made and relevant here.

Cheers

#15 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 05:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Bruce
    Taxis are local transport.

#16 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 11:58

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

JohnMac

Yes, taxi's are 'local transport' for the affluent.

Cheers

#17 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 12:26

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Well Bruce, in that case you know that a bus that goes past (but not actually to) the airport from Georgetown takes an hour or more to get there. You may have to wait quite a while for one at Komtar as they don't run very frequently.

I allowed 2 hours to get to the airport by bus once and almost didn't make my flight!

#18 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 14:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Yes, taxi's are 'local transport' for the affluent."

Ahhh Bruce, that would include you.

#19 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 16:22

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

I stand corrected!

matias, if you intend to travel between Penang and Kuala Lumpurperhaps your best option will be to take a direct bus!!!.

Cheers

#20 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 09:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Well Bruce, in that case you know that a bus that goes past (but not actually to) the airport from Georgetown takes an hour or more to get there. You may have to wait quite a while for one at Komtar as they don't run very frequently.

I allowed 2 hours to get to the airport by bus once and almost didn't make my flight!"

What's with you guys and busses? They suck. God made air conditioned taxis for getting around these sorts of cities.

#21 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 12:43

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

hi im back again
    i land on bangkok on 27 th staying there for 4 days and then going to FMP on kho phan ghan for a week. what accomodation do you recommemd me also in bangkok and in kho phan ghan.i dont exactly what visiting in bangkok.
    then 2 weeks in malaysia(penang, kuala lumpur, melaka perpentian,cameron highlands maybe) and 4 four days in singapore before caming to bangkok for the last three days. u think this is ok?
    thanks,
    matias

#22 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 08:24

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

i found the best way to go to full moon party is a train from bangkok to surat thani then a shttle bus that connect me with the ferry station. the ferry takes me from surat thani to ko sumai and then a boat to kho pahn ghan. i plan to take the train night on sunday 30 th august arriving to ko phan ghan on august 31 th 4 days before full moon party. u think this is a good idea?
    thanks,
    matias

#23 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 09:04

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

matias

A plug for Travelfish. If you have to forward book accommodation, use the Travelfish 'accommodation' section for the city/town/place you want to stay. Otherwise, just use Travelfish accommodation to locate places that offer what you want.

- - -

May I suggest that you will be grossly disappointed with Cameron Highlands. It really is very much past it's 'use by date'.

- - -

You write perpentian. I'm assuming you mean Palau Perhentian (the islands off Kota Bharu.

After southern Thailand, I have a feeling you may be disappointed. Not because they aren't quite up to the southern Thai islands/beaches, but because to get to them is quite a way out of your way. So, after making such an effort, I suggest you'll be saying to yourself What's the big deal about this place!!!

- - -

Penang, KL, Melaka would need at the minimum. You are considering 2 weeks. If you want a contrast experience, try considering Taman Negara (from KL). Go here to see the way to get there.

Taman Negara is perhaps the best jungle left in SE Asia, and the river boat access is one of the last remaining jungle/river options left in Asia. Unless you've got something against jungle, this provides a glimpse of what much of SE Asia looked like a century ago.

Cheers

#24 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 13:11

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"What's with you guys and busses? They suck. God made air conditioned taxis for getting around these sorts of cities".

The taxi to the airport costs nearly as much as a flight and more than some decent buses that go all the way to KL. A local bus to the airport costs about 2 ringgit.

This site is supposed to be for backpackers and I'm a backpacker Madmac ...a SCOTTISH backpacker to boot! ;-)

#25 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 14:26

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Goooo, SBE.... Go tell him, love!!!

hehehehe.

I love it...

Cheers

#26 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 14:30

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

so in malaysia after kho phan ghan i arrive to penang, and then do kuala lumpur and melaka and then taman negara you think is the best i can do? and then from taman negara can i take a bus to singapore?or is not in the way?
    thanks,
    matias

#27 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 16:31

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

matias

Please consider Taman Negara when you are in Kuala Lumpur.

You will need 4 or 5 days.

day 1 - travel to Jerantut (stay Jerantut).
    day 2 - travel from Jerantut to Kuala Temberling, then take boat to Kuala Tahan.
    day 3 - Explore Taman Negara
    day 4 - Explore Taman negara (or go back to KL)
    day 4/5 Return Kuala Temberling. to Jerantut, to Kuala Lumpur.

To get to/from Taman Negara, you must depart/return to Kuala Lumpur.

If you go to Taman negara, and then return to Kualal Lumpur, you can then take a bus to Melaka.

After melaka, you can take a bus to Jahore Bahru, then take another bus to cross over to Singapore.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#28 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 16:49

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

yes it really helps me.
    so the better way is to do first penang, then kuala lumpur, taman negara, kuala lumpur again to to go to melaka and from melaka take a bus to singpaore. is this correct. how many days tou think it will take me this?
    thanks,
    matias

#29 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 17:11

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

matias

Penang ? days for enjoyment.

day X - Penang - KL (5 hour by bus [thanks SBE])

Kuala Lumpur ? days for enjoyment.

For the Taman Negara route go look at what I wrote for detail...

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/malaysia/7100_taman-negara

- - -

Essentially, though, you take a bus to Jerantut. This takes 3 hours.

If you can get the bus early, and be in Jerantut by (say) 10am, then...

From Jerantut, there is a bus that goes to Kuala Temberling. This bus takes about 3/4 hour.

You have to be in Kuala Temberling by 12;30pm (at the latest, I remember) to get the boat to Taman Negara.

Then spend one or two days (or more) at Taman Negara.

The boat actually takes you to the village of Kuala Tahan, where you stay. Taman Negara is on the other side of the river.

So, if you get to Taman negara in one day, and you return to Kl in one day, then say 4 or 5 days.

If it takes you 2 days to get to Taman Negara, then 5 or 6 days.

- - -

Kuala Lumpur to Melaka - about 4 hours.

Melaka to Jahore Bharu - about 4 1/2 hours.

From Jahore Bharu to Singapore, about 3/4 hour.

- - -

So, Penang - Kl - 1 day

KL ? days

KL - Taman Negara - (say) 5 days

Kl - Melaka - 1 day

Melaka ?? days

Melaka - Singapore - 1 day (but start early)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#30 Posted: 5/8/2009 - 17:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"The taxi to the airport costs nearly as much as a flight and more than some decent buses that go all the way to KL. A local bus to the airport costs about 2 ringgit.

This site is supposed to be for backpackers and I'm a backpacker Madmac ...a SCOTTISH backpacker to boot! ;-)"

... from city of ghosts:

"Just last week a couple of tourists were kidnapped... backpackers with no money" (said with disgust).

#31 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 23:31

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

hi mates
    thanks for all the help
    this is how my itinerary is going
    august 27 th i arrive to bangkok and take a bus to khao san road, i read about the bus somewhere but is this true?
    then i stayed in khao san road for 2 or 3 nights. what are the best places to visit near there in those days?
    after that i move to kho phan gan for FMP.I found the best way to go to full moon party is a train from bangkok to surat thani then a shttle bus that connect me with the ferry station. the ferry takes me from surat thani to ko sumai and then a boat to kho pahn ghan. i plan to take the train night on sunday 30 th august arriving to ko phan ghan on august 31 th 4 days before full moon party. u think this is a good idea?
    i will look for acomodation once im there, u think i can find something? and i bangkok i wll do the same.
    i stayed there for a week and move to malaysia to visit penang. i think in a train from surat thani is this correct? i stay there for a couple of days and move to kuala lumpur by bus. then i visit taman negara( 5days as how is wrote above) then back again for kuala lumpur stay there for 3 or 4 days and start my way down to melaca(2 days) and singapore ( 4 days). from singapore i take a flight to bangkok.how more expensive is singapore than the 2 other countries? becos in lonely planet said US$40 a day and US$15 for malaysia and thailand.
    what do people think? sorry for the lenght of the text
    thanks,
    matias

#32 Posted: 8/8/2009 - 13:11

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

matius

august 27 th i arrive to bangkok and take a bus to khao san road, i read about the bus somewhere but is this true?

look on travelfish for ideas (go to Thailand, then Bangkok, then accommodation, etc.

then i stayed in khao san road for 2 or 3 nights. what are the best places to visit near there in those days?]

Royal Palace is tourist heaven.

after that i move to kho phan gan for FMP.I found the best way to go to full moon party is a train from bangkok to surat thani then a shttle bus that connect me with the ferry station. the ferry takes me from surat thani to ko sumai and then a boat to kho pahn ghan. i plan to take the train night on sunday 30 th august arriving to ko phan ghan on august 31 th 4 days before full moon party. u think this is a good idea?
    i will look for acomodation once im there, u think i can find something? and i bangkok i wll do the same.
    i stayed there for a week and move to malaysia to visit penang. i think in a train from surat thani is this correct?

Yes, but try and book when you arrive at surat thani.

i stay there for a couple of days and move to kuala lumpur by bus. then i visit taman negara( 5days as how is wrote above) then back again for kuala lumpur stay there for 3 or 4 days and start my way down to melaca(2 days) and singapore ( 4 days). from singapore i take a flight to bangkok.how more expensive is singapore than the 2 other countries? becos in lonely planet said US$40 a day and US$15 for malaysia and thailand.
    what do people think? sorry for the lenght of the text

It's OK. It's YOUR journey.

Have fun.

When you go home, write and tell us how it all went.

Cheers

#33 Posted: 8/8/2009 - 14:11

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

yes for sure i will write here when its finish
    but what about the best way to reach kho phan gan and then from there penang?
    and have you been in singapre? is more expensive than the other 2 countries?
    please reply
    thanks,
    matias

#34 Posted: 8/8/2009 - 15:04

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

matius

I haven't been to Ko Pha Ngan, so I can't comment.

SBE would possibly know better.

I read that there are boats that connect from Surat Thani, but take about 7 hours and leave from the night ferry pier about 10pm. There is a fast ferry - Raja Ferry - with several departures (about 4 hours) and you have to buy tickets at Phantip Travel on Th Talat Mai. But, please, this is what I read, not what I experienced.

To penang, either a bus or train from Surat Thani. Ask when you get there.

Singapore is much more expensive that Bangkok (about 25% more) and about 10-15% more than KL.

Cheers

#35 Posted: 8/8/2009 - 17:53

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

hi
    thank you very much for the help
    matias

#36 Posted: 9/8/2009 - 04:59

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Many of the people on KSR are heading to Ko Phangan too so it's excessively easy to buy combination boat and bus tickets there... zillions of travel agents.

It's probably wiser to go to the Southern bus terminal and buy a bus ticket to Surat Thani yourself though... much less chance of having stuff stolen from your luggage in the hold. You can get a boat ticket to Ko Phangan once you get to Surat Thani if you haven't already bought one in BKK.

#37 Posted: 9/8/2009 - 05:34

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

hi
    you think is better the bus than the train? aand i suppose is an overnight bus isn't it?
    thanks,
    matias

#38 Posted: 9/8/2009 - 07:14

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I certainly prefer the train because I find it easier to sleep when fully horizontal.

This excellent site contains all the train info you need, including the online booking address which Bruce mentioned very recently.

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

I'd advise you to try and book online ASAP because sleeper trains get booked out early before full moon parties. You can buy a sleeper berth ticket yourself from the train station or get a ticket from a travel agency on KSR but they may all be sold out by the time you arrive. Buses are easier to get without prior booking.

#39 Posted: 9/8/2009 - 15:04

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

matias

While I prefer trains over buses, I use both. If you can't get a sleeper train, well bus may be better.

The train goes only to Butterworth and you have to get a ferry to go across the straights.

I think the bus goes onto Penang Island.

Cheers

#40 Posted: 9/8/2009 - 18:12

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

hi
    does someone knows which is the airline that has straight flight from ko sumai to penang?
    thanks,
    matias

#41 Posted: 16/8/2009 - 08:49

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

hi everyone
    for the ones who know me from the post i wrote form new zeland just said all is going right.
    i have this question about taman negara? its safe to just buy tthe bus and boat ticket to kuala tahan and then book the activities once there? becos travel agency here said me its not safe because maybe when i get there, there is not enough people. im alone but maybe we are two people.
    im planning to go on wednesday.
    thanks if someone can help me
    regards,\
    matias

#42 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 17:25

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Matius

I don't know anything about the 'deal' being offered you.

I know that there is a tourist bus operating from Kuala Lumpur to Kuala Temberling. From there, there is a boat that goes up river to Kuala Tahan. See my post here on Taman Negara and travel access.

Maybe your travel agent has a secured a deal where the whole trip from KL to Kuala Tahan is organised. If so, please tell us all the details: from whom did you buy, how much, what time departs, etc..

Once you have found your accommodation in Kuala Tahan, you can choose to do everything on your own. Or, there are also tours offered from there.

If you do on your own, get a small boat across the river (1MYR) to the national park (they go every couple of minutes). From there, you can go hiking on your own - the national parks people provide a map of trails to various places. Or you can join a group (if operating and have spare places).

If you want to hike, and its wet, and you have no hiking boots, you can hire at the national parks office.

From Kuala Tahan, you can join a boat going upstream or across the river into smaller rivers to villages. To organise, either go to the 'tourist help' boats on the riverbank, or talk to the boat owner.

There are so many things you can do on your own, it would take you more than a month to do them all.

Cheers

#43 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 18:30

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

i didnt buy any package and i think i will do it later, in a week maybe. after tomorrow im heading to melacca and singpaore probably.
    but then i dont have any problem on doing by my own according on what i read.
    thanks for your help
    regards,
    matias

#44 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 23:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Need a traveling buddy for thailand, Singapore and Malaysia for 10 days or two weeks! ... By blynn09 on 12 Jul 2012 0 1150 12 Jul 2012
Best of Malaysia/Singapore in Feb/March 10 days ... By meeshakar on 30 Dec 2013 0 627 30 Dec 2013
Malaysia, Singapore and Bali in 18 days? ... By cguan on 19 Sep 2014 0 320 19 Sep 2014
Highlights of Singapore and peninsular/Borneo Malaysia in 7 days ... By gogohanneson on 17 Feb 2010 4 3962 21 Feb 2010
Thailand > Malaysia > singapore ... By daniellegee on 20 Oct 2012 3 1510 2 Dec 2012
THAILAND-MALAYSIA-SINGAPORE Itinerary ... By izza27 on 13 May 2011 4 8207 18 May 2011
23 yrs old Singaporean guy. Singapore - Malaysia - Thailand ... By RECON on 5 Jun 2011 1 2178 11 Oct 2011
Getting Around - Thailand to KL, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia ... By csawala on 22 Sep 2011 0 3099 22 Sep 2011
Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia & Singapore ... By AniaKrysia on 11 Sep 2010 5 8023 15 Oct 2010
Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand in June ... By eline on 12 Apr 2010 20 3265 9 Jun 2010