Southeast Asia forum

ATM's - Vietnam / Cambodia / Laos

• angfonz

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

I am an American, but I live in Australia (actually just a few miles north of friend Bruce). As such, the money in my bank account is in USD. Unfortunately, for me to take out a chunk of USD here in Australia, I would be converting first to AUD, then back to USD - losing money with each conversion.

I would certainly like to avoid this.

My question is twofold: will the ATM machines in Vietnam / Cambodia / Laos provide USD? And, if they do, does the transaction convert to local currency and then back to USD?

Thanks in advance~

#1 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 21:37

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hmm interesting question. You've got a USD account with an Australian bank is that correct?

My initial thought would be the Oz bank would try to convert the money as many times as humanly possible just so they could charge you more!

The ATMs dispense dong rather than USD and bear in mind there is a low maximum withdrawal (I think around the equiv of US$130 from memory) which means this can be a very expensive way to access your money.

I'd suggest contacting your bank first to find out what charges they'll levy on you for international ATM access (there is most likely a flat fee surcharge, plus, depending on the bank, a percentage on top of that!) and then ask about conversion charges.

#2 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 06:37

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

For Lao ATMs, it's only Lao kip back out of the machines. Also, if you haven't read the warning in the Lao forum about BCEL's bank ATMs malfunctioning, it's important to read it.

#3 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 06:50

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

angfonz

Vietnam banks are forbidden to release US$ to travellers. You MUST have a Vietnam bank account and some long term residency status in Vietnam to open an account before you can withdraw US$. Otherwise its VN Dong.

I've only ever been issued with local currency in Laos (KIP), but got US$ in Siem Reap (Cambodia) from an ANZ ATM.

- - -

As for getting US$ into Australia without bank fees, email me at bfm@australia.edu and I'll explain how it can be done legitimately and without much hassle.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 08:49

• angfonz

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

Email sent, Mr. Moon~!

#5 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 09:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I always just carry cash when I travel. I have never had a problem, but then I don't do anything stupid like putting it in a backpack or under my pillow or something.

#6 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 11:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.