Southeast Asia forum

30 days for Thailand, Laos, Vientnam, Cambodia... Too much?

• starrchild

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2009

I am heading to SE Asia from mid November to mid December and would like to do all four countries but think i might might biting off too much for 30 fays. Has anyone done this and have reasonable route? Or should I narrow down my trip? and what should i cut? I was looking st the travelfish route but it looks like a would need to cut a lot to do that in 30 days. I don't mind some flights to save time.

thanks

#1 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 09:36

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

starrchild

The simple answer is 'is it just to say you've visited 4 countries as the focus?

Or, would you actually like to experience places/activities/people along the way?

I wrote elsewhere about the trade-off between trying to do too much and trying to enjoy yourself. Go read this:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/idlebanter/6976_helping-the-prospective-travel-planner

The essential point is that to really enjoy yourself, try not to travel too much. For me, I suggest choose to visit one place/region/city/etc., for about a week. And, aside from the capital city, 'do' at least 2 other (out of capital) areas per country.

To my way of thinking, max for a month is two (2) countries.

So, say you were heading to Thailand for the first time, plan for time in/around bangkok (about a week), plan for time (about a week) in the north of Thailand, and plan for time (about a week) in southern Thailand. That gives you a good introductory understanding of Thailand, a range of possible experiences, and at a pace you can enjoy.

For the fourth week (or so), you can either spend in in another area of Thailand (eg. south-east, or Isaan), or another place in a nearby country.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 11:26

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

First answer: no
    Second answer: why?

Unless being on transit is your idea of a vacation, I'd say no.

#3 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 12:57

• krisim

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 8

With just 30 days I wouldn't pick more than 2 countries. I think it's better to be able to see a few different things in a country than just rushing it to be able to do all of them. It's also a vacation, isn't it? It can be nice to chill out and just relax for a day or two.

#4 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 13:23

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

30 days for four countries -- I wouldn't do it, but if someone wanted to, assuming they're looking to do the highlights and were happy to pony up with the flights, here is my four country in 30 days Travelfish extravaganza!

For the sake of simplicity I'm assuming a Bangkok arrival and departure point

Day: 1 Arrive Bangkok
    Day: 2 Bangkok
    Day: 3 Morning flight to Trang, pick an island and doss.
    Day: 4 Doss
    Day: 5 Doss
    Day: 6 Doss
    Day: 7 Drag yourself out of hammock, return to Trang for flight back to Bangkok & night trian to Chiang Mai
    Day: 8 Chiang Mai
    Day: 9 Chiang Mai then flight to Luang Prabang
    Day: 10 Luang Prabang
    Day: 11 Luang Prabang
    Day: 12 Luang Prabang then flight to Hanoi
    Day: 13 Hanoi
    Day: 14 Hanoi
    Day: 15 Ha Long Bay
    Day: 16 Ha Long Bay
    Day: 17 Hanoi then night train to Sapa
    Day: 18 Sapa
    Day: 19 Sapa
    Day: 20 Sapa then night train back to Hanoi
    Day: 21 Flight to Da Nang , transit to Hoi An
    Day: 22 Hoi An
    Day: 23 Hoi An
    Day: 24 back to Da Nang and flight to Saigon
    Day: 25 Saigon
    Day: 26 bus to Phnom Penh
    Day: 27 Phnom Penh
    Day: 28 bus to Siem Reap
    Day: 29 Siem Reap
    Day: 30 Siem Reap with an afternoon flight back to Bangkok and exit

The above strieks me as pretty nuts, but people do it, and I've seen people do much crazier trips -- I met a Japanese guy in Kathmandu once who was on a four day holiday -- to Thailand, India and Nepal ... he said next time he's only do two countries! So you could be trying to do more LOL

So the above starts with a "relaxing" island period, but as it progresses you get less and less time in each place and you spend more and more time travelling and less time laying around smelling the flowers.

If you are serious about doing something like this, you should look into Bangkok Airway's Discovery Airpass (story here)

At the end of the day, I'd say you're better off seeing less and slowing down, but if you want to take in the highlights on a whistle-stop tour, it is certainly possible.

Good luck!

#5 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 14:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Also, the above takes no account of flight timetabling etc -- I just made it up -- you'll need to check all that kinda thing.

#6 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 14:21

• buecax

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2009

it should be doable if you concentrate on just one area in each country.

start of with a few days in bangkok
    fly to hanoi and stay in the area (including halong bay) for ~1 week
    fly to luang prabang and make your way by bus to vientiane (also ~1 week)
    fly to siem reap, explore angkor, then bus to phnom penh (again ~1 week)
    fly back to bangkok

#7 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 14:35

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I think you would find it quite tiring to do all 4 countries in 30 days - even 3 would be too much. You want to be actually enjoy your time there, and have some days dedicated to just chilling out.

I spent 6 weeks in Thailand and Cambodia last year - one week in eastern Thailand (2 islands); one week in Cambodia, then the rest of the time spent travelling from Chaing Mai down to Railey/Krabi, and Koh Samui/Pha Nang and Koh Tao. We spent at 2-4 nights in all locations (except the odd overnighter while in transit). We flew to/from Cambodia, and Bkk-Krabi. The rest of the travel was by bus, car or ferry.

I don't have any regrets about the amount of time spent in each place as it gave us a good taste of the different areas. Having said that, I'm heading back on a much, much longer trip, and will enjoy discovering new areas as well as revisiting old favourites.

Four countries - no. One or two countries will give you a more meaningful and relaxed experience that you will actually remember. There would be nothing worse that having all your memories rolled up into one big blur!

Good luck!

#8 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 14:57

• starrchild

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2009

thanks everyone, I will let you know the route i pick. I am going to narrow down the countries and go for some thing with that is not too relaxing but not to stressful and bus filled. I'll stick with two countries, if i have to. I am spending the month before in India and being from the USA i don't get many opportunities to travel for this long so i want to see and experience a lot.

#9 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 20:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"so i want to see and experience a lot."

Generally speaking, as Bruce was trying to point out, you will either experience a lot, or see a lot, but not both. Those two things are mutually exclusive. To experience a place takes some real time. I have a friend who is visiting me in Mukdahan, Thailand, and he's been here 30 days and still hasn't seen all the points of interest - and this in an area that isn't terribly interesting.

#10 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 01:44

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

John (MAC)

Now that starrchild tells us he's a yank and he'll have spent a month in India prior to SE Asia, I get the feeling that all the preparatory planning undertaken prior to leaving will be left in India.

Given this, it may well turn out to be After India, I need a relaxing holiday, where's the nearest chill-out zone.

Cheers

#11 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 06:18

• starrchild

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2009

I like intense vacations. I spent 4 months in east Africa a year ago, and while laying on a beach is nice, there are places closer where i can do that.
    Plus i am coming home without a job, so i can relax then :)

#12 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 06:57

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

starrchild

I get your message.

When you say 'intense vacations' are you referring to much speed across the landscape, or focussing on places to get an intensity of experience?

Cheers

#13 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 09:50

• starrchild

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2009

less speed, more experience.

That being said here is a rough route that seems to be more about speed :)
    I don't have much of any experience planning these type of trips.

Bangkok Nov 15 -17
    Ayutthaya Nov 17-19
    Phitsanulok Nov 19-21
    Sukhothai Nov 21-23
    Chiang Mai Nov 23-25
    Chiang Khong: Nov 25-27 Get visa
    Huay Xai (laos) Nov 27 leave Thailand early to catch slow boat
    Pakbeng: Night of 27th leave morning of 28th
    Luang Prabang 28 - Dec3:
    Hanoi: Dec 3-6
    Sapa: Dec 6: Train to Sapa
    Sapa: Dec 7-8
    Hanoi: Dec 9 train back from Sapa
    Ha Long Bay: Dec 10-13
    Hanoi Dec 14: flight back to Bangkok

#14 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 10:11

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

starrchild, I'll comment along the proposal...

Bangkok Nov 15 -17
    Ayutthaya Nov 17-19
    Phitsanulok Nov 19-21
    Sukhothai Nov 21-23

I don't know your intentions to this point, but you may like to consider reducing time here to save for 'elsewhere'. For me, I'd just head for Phitsa and spend a day or two at Sukhothai. That being because Ayutthaya and Sukhothai have many similarities and i like the vibe of Sukhothai much better. But, as others have pointed out, if you can get yourself to Ayatthuya, you can spend time there and catch the overnight train to Phita.. (to arrive in the wee hours).

Chiang Mai Nov 23-25
    Chiang Khong : Nov 25-27 Get visa

To those that live in Chiang Khong it's a nice town. To westerners, its neither here nor there. There is a 5 hour mini-bus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong that gets you there about 3pm. It takes from a few minutes to an hour to do the journey from the mini-bus to Huay Xai (across the Mekong), get your visa and go have a drink! and be ready for the next part of your journey. So, I doubt you'd need 2 days here.

Huay Xai (laos) Nov 27 leave Thailand early to catch slow boat
    Pakbeng: Night of 27th leave morning of 28th
    Luang Prabang 28 - Dec3:

Merely out of curiosity, you're spending 6 days at LP, yet only 1 at Chiang Mai. Any reason?

Hanoi: Dec 3-6
    Sapa: Dec 6: Train to Sapa
    Sapa: Dec 7-8

I'm assuming you are flying LP - HaNoi. Why leave for Lao Cai [for SaPa] on a Sunday? Did you read about BacHa??? Maybe read this post for better options.

Hanoi: Dec 9 train back from Sapa
    Ha Long Bay: Dec 10-13

HaLong Bay is a great experience. But, absolutely wonderful when in fine weather. December may be wet (keep an eye on it with this site ). If so, you might pre-pay your money and find you're left at the wharf twiddling your toes. So, keep an eye on the weather, and don't book till you know it'll be OK. Also, if you have the inclination look at Columbus for your 'tour' - read here and for the website .

Hanoi Dec 14: flight back to Bangkok

Cheers

#15 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 12:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Where in East Africa where you? I used to live in the Ogaden and spent considerable time in Somalia as well.

#16 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 17:29

• starrchild

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2009

i was living in kampala uganda

#17 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 21:42

• matheusvdd

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2009

So guys, i'm from Fortaleza, Brazil and want to do a 30 days trip like our american friend over there.

My knowledge in southeast asia is close to zero, but, after quick researches, I've decided that starting in Bangkok is the ideal choice.

And that's all I've decided yet!

What I really want is to really LIVE the trip, not just bounce around the whole continent without having time to, as someone said in this topic, smell the flowers. So I guess two countries would be the ideal thing for me.

Thailand and Cambodia, probably. Is that even possible? Do Thailand even has borders with Cambodia?

#18 Posted: 28/8/2009 - 00:26

• starrchild

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2009

Hi Bruce Thanks so much
    As for the the six days in LP, i was thinking that I could add two or three of those to another stop, but not sure where yet.

#19 Posted: 28/8/2009 - 00:32

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

starrchild

May I suggest a little quicker to Chiang Mai (ie delete a day or more en route and 'use' that time to head up to Pai.

Similarly, en route from Huay Xia, instead of the river route check out the Gibbon Experience (look here for the TF story, and for the site .

From there, there are several ways to get to LP: boring boat via Huay Xai; road via Luang Nam Tha & OudomXay; or road and boat via Luang Nam Tha, OudomXay & Nong Khiaw.

As an aside, you wrote I like intense vacations . May I suggest two days on a boat down the Mekong is the total opposite. I really like boat travel, it's slow, if one chooses the right journey the scenery can be great, etc. The Huay Xai-Luang Prabang is not a journey I'd recommend. It's 2 days cramped on a boat. Unless you like (largely) bare banks, the scenery is god-awful boring, and there's nothing to do other than sit squashed up on wooden seats and be bored! How's that for a subjective, opinionated statement!!!.

Cheers

#20 Posted: 28/8/2009 - 05:54

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

matheusvdd

May I suggest that your post really needs to be a fresh one. This is because everyone will be able to see and you may get better answers.

In the first instance, go here:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/topic/indochina

Then, scroll down to the bottom and make a (new) post.

ps. maybe you can cut'n'paste from above to the new post.

Cheers

#21 Posted: 28/8/2009 - 05:58

• matheusvdd

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2009

Thanks Bruce!

#22 Posted: 28/8/2009 - 23:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand/Laos/Cambodia 25 days HELP ... By abbyroad on 8 Jan 2013 7 1816 13 Jan 2013
Laos Cambodia and Thailand in 30 Days ... By wormann on 4 Oct 2013 6 721 4 Oct 2013
Thailand - Burma - Cambodia - Laos possible in 4 days? ... By adammcintyre on 18 Feb 2014 8 686 19 Feb 2014
Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - cambodia in 30 days? ... By WelshGem on 20 Mar 2011 5 4441 20 Mar 2011
Best route Thailand, Laos, Cambodia 65 days ... By marianwarren on 12 Mar 2006 6 2924 13 Mar 2006
10 days - Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam? ... By LordGordo on 13 Apr 2010 11 5675 14 Apr 2010
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in 45 days? ... By tandbjo on 9 May 2013 12 2112 5 Jun 2013
Budget and Itinerary for 65 days in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia ... By Floppy on 2 Oct 2012 0 2023 2 Oct 2012