Southeast Asia forum

One week, Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam?

• RonnyK

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Hey guys !!

I'm planning a trip to one of the above mentioned countries. I'll be going in Dec ('09), and a week is all the time I have. I know it's not enough but I still want to make the most out of my trip.
    Am not sure which country to visit. I'd like to go to all three but .... Anyway, can you please suggest/recommend one of them and why?
    Thanks for making my decision easier.

#1 Posted: 26/8/2009 - 04:10

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi RonnyK,

If you can pass on a bit more info on what your interests are, I'll try to give you some useful pointers.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 26/8/2009 - 07:24

• RonnyK

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Hey !!

My interests are pretty varied...obviously, I love to travel, whether it's to a metropolitan city, for a safari/trek, or to an Island/Beach.. Recently though I've been craving places like Machu Picchu, Giza, Serengeti/Ngorongoro, Kilimanjaro, Amazon expedition, Galapagos, Easter Island etc.. Journeys of a lifetime if you will... Having said that, Angkor Wat is definitely on my list.

I am an avid photographer (love breathtaking inland and coastal scenery), like adventurous/sporty/fun stuff, like to learn the history/culture of a place and it's people, am fascinated by Wonders of the World.

In the three countries, what intrigues me most are Angkor Wat and Ha Long Bay. I've been to Chitchen Itza, and want to visit Angkor as well and ever since I saw Top Gears Vietnam special, I've been waiting for an opportunity to go. But I've heard Laos is spectacular as well.

That's about it, like I mentioned earlier. I want to make the most out of my one week. I'll definitely come back and visit the other two countries later, but for now, which place would you suggest? Could you give me some pros and cons as well.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help.

Ronny

PS: Let me know if there's any other info that you might need. I know my answer is a little vague. I just love to travel.

#3 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 04:23

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

Hi Ronny,

Given what you've posted, then I'd recommend Angkor at Siem Reap. With a week you've got enough time to also visit the capitol, Phnom Penh and perhaps one more destination in Cambodia but Angkor itself could easily eat up 3-5 days though some go for a full week's pass. The great thing is that they've altered the Angkor complex passes with more flexibility such that you don't have to use up, for example, the 3 day pass in consecutive days.
    IMO, it's even grander than Chichen in the Yucatan. The other SEA archaeological destinations that are comparable but on a much smaller scale are Bagan-Burma, Borobudor-Java, or Sukothai-Thailand.

#4 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 05:33

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Ronny

I'm with seagypsy on this too. At that time of year, Vietnam can be a bit wet.

On Angkor , go look at this weblink to read more.

One 'special' Angkorian temple site that few visit, but is very photogenic (as if Angkor itself is not!!!), is Kbal Spean and Beng Mealea. If you want to add these, they are 'outside' the Angkorian pass system, and well away from the main complex. Another day is needed just for these two (but worth it IMHO).

Despite being the capital, because it sees less wealthy western tourists, Phnom Penh is a complete contrast to Siem Reap . Also, being the capital, PP has a largest Khmer Rouge 'atrocities' museums, and also hosts the Royal Palace.

So, assuming you fly into Siem Reap and spend a minimum of 4 days there, another travelling to Phnom Penh, and a full day there, you've now spent 6 days in Cambodia. If you add an extra day to see Kbal Spean and Beng Mealea at Siem Reap, that's your week.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 06:11

• RonnyK

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Bruce and seagypsy, Thanks a ton for your suggestions. I was just wondering though, if I spend 4-6 days in Siem Reap, cover the Angkor area, then fly to Hanoi (covering Ha Long Bay) for 3-4 days there... That would just be perfect.

Obviously, it's not going to be a complete experience but for the limited time I have, can I work out something similar? Or do you think it's a better idea just to spend those 7-9 days at one place?

#6 Posted: 28/8/2009 - 05:38

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

RonnyK

In the imagination, anything is possible. It's the logistics that ruin it all.

There are three things that spring to mind.

First, while you can fly directly Siem Reap - Hanoi, at US$260, is this within budget?

Second, December can be quite wet in the Halong Bay region. If the area is too wet, or 'blown out', while you may have paid your money, the operator will just say too bad, so sad. Many refuse to refund. So, the idea of Halong Bay could turn out a big negative.

Third, there is something to be said for staying in the one language group area. You pick up on the basic language and 'engage' more. You can also get a deeper understanding of their culture. The Khmer Cambodian people are very different towards western travellers than the Han Vietnamese. At the end of the time in SE Asia, you may come away with some negative feelings.

You started off with 7 days, now you are suggesting possibly 10. If you have more time, you might entertain the coast of Cambodia.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 28/8/2009 - 06:30

• RonnyK

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009

Hey Bruce

Agreed, even though the first point is not a problem, the other two definitely are. And I completely understand the two separate language groups, definitely a difference in personality and outlook.

I did start out with 7, figured I could include a weekend as well. I'll reevaluate my travel plans and look at the possibility of visiting the Cambodian coast instead.

Though I've read that the best time to go to Ha long is from Dec to Mar. Anyway, I'll check again. Thanks once again.

#8 Posted: 28/8/2009 - 18:00

• elscapist

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2010

Thought December is the time when there is little rain in Vietnam, or rather whole of SEA generally?

#9 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 15:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos 3 week itinerary ... By fionoula on 23 Oct 2009 1 3883 24 Oct 2009
6 Week itinerary for Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia ... By langleym1 on 12 Jan 2013 4 2526 17 Jan 2013
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 3 2827 23 Feb 2010
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 2 4091 26 Feb 2010
how much would a 3-4 week trip to vietnam, cambodia, laos cost? ... By anjooo on 22 Jun 2010 3 6141 24 Jun 2010
Help on my five week itinerary through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia ... By nateyu on 19 Nov 2007 9 5921 20 Dec 2010
WHAT IS BEST ORDER TO GO TO THESE PLACES IN VIETNAM, CAMBODIA & LAOS IN FIVE WEEK TRIP? ... By dvdwilensky on 1 Dec 2009 3 2932 12 Dec 2009
10 week grand tour - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia... ... By HomerJSimpson on 18 Apr 2007 4 2891 20 Jun 2007
8 week trip to Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam in June-August...your thoughts and help please? ... By mrnice88 on 25 Apr 2010 5 4651 5 Jul 2010
1 week in Cambodia vs 3rd week in Northern Vietnam? ... By karuthless on 9 Jun 2011 5 3003 10 Jun 2011