Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

island/beach suggestions, phu quoc worth it?

Posted by elizabethmary on 28/8/2009 at 22:51

Hello, I have recently discovered this site and it is so invaluable. Thank you all who post here for your in depth and knowledgeable discussions!

I am planning a short (2 1/2 week) trip with my boyfriend end of december/jan 1st time in SE asia. We will base out of Bangkok where my mom lives, so spend some time there w/her. I am trying to narrow down the many options of many things I want to see and do, considering we don't have a ton of time and don't want to spend a ton of time getting from place to place. We do def want a few days alone on the beach.

I had really wanted to go to Phu Quoc. We like beaches which are uncrowded, quiet, have some yummy local food, good swimming beaches, and maybe some exploring off the beach.

Ideally I would like to combine Phu Quoc with time in the Mekong delta, then into cambodia by boat. but i am just not sure if we will have time. Is it worthwhile to make a point to travel there from Bangkok? We would have to go through HCMC, right? Would it make more sense to get our beach time closer to Bangkok? Perhaps Ko Mak? Or Ko Wai, or both? Does anyone have a suggestion for a Thai island? Or a strong recommendation for Phu Quoc? Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it!

#1 elizabethmary has been a member since 28/8/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by BruceMoon on 29/8/2009 at 07:07

liz

If this is your first time in SE Asia, I'd suggest staying in Thailand. VN is SUCH a contrast.

As I've suggested here, in this link , it's your holiday, so don't waste it by rushing around just to say you've been somewhere.

From the various contributions here on Travelfish, there ARE many islands / beaches in southern Thailand that are less frequented. Maybe if you start by looking at this link and then use the Search Travelfish box up top to find what people are saying about the choices you are considering.

Also, go look here for answers to a request for a quiet beach in Thailand.

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/8/2009 at 07:09 admin

Hi elizabethmary,

Glad to hear you're finding the site helpful :-)

It is a pretty straightforward trip from Bangkok to Phu Quoc if you want to go along the coast -- it is explained here:
http://www.travelfish.org/feature/113

You could do that, then overland through the Delta to Saigon and fly back from there -- that's what I'd do.

Assumming you want a week on Phu Quoc Island, I'd break the trip elsewhere at Kampot or Kep and perhaps some of the islands out from Trat. Bear in mind you're be moving in peak season -- some places will be very busy.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.