Southeast Asia forum

30 Days Trip help for a Brazilian

• matheusvdd

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2009

So guys, i'm from Fortaleza, Brazil and want to do a 30 days trip.

My knowledge in southeast asia is close to zero, but, after quick researches, I've decided that starting in Bangkok is the ideal choice.

And that's all I've decided yet!

What I really want is to really LIVE the trip, not just bounce around the whole continent without having time to, as someone said in another thread, "smell the flowers".

So I guess two countries would be the ideal thing for me.

Thailand and Cambodia, probably. Because i'm really interested in Buddhism and not really interested in BIG CROWDS(aka. China).

Any help will be heartly welcome, because I have extreme difficulties in planning things, especially travel routes and places.

(I know it's not really the subject of this board, but do you guys have been to Egypt and north africa in general? That's my Plan B. Mainly because airplane tickets to Thailand cost 3.000 US dollars)

#1 Posted: 28/8/2009 - 23:24

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

It's hard to know where to start!

Have you tried skyscanner to see if there are any cheaper flights? $3000 sounds really expensive!

It might be worth having a look at prices of flights to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) as well as Bangkok.

I say this because Kuala Lumpur is the main hub for a good and cheap airline called Air Asia (that big red ad on the left of the screen).

If you flew straight to Angkor Wat (Cambodia) from Kuala Lumpur, it would save you a day's journey on a bus, and also all the hassle at the Thai/Cambodian border crossing. Tourists who arrive by air are subjected to far fewer scam artists. Since you'll no doubt want to see Angkor Wat anyway, there's nothing really stopping you being original and spending your first week getting over jet lag in Siem Reap rather than Khao San Road!

That's only an idea of the top of my head ... it's very hard to suggest anything concrete until you say a bit more about what you want to do!

So far all we know is that you like Buddhism and you don't like crowds. Do you want to spend the whole time looking at Buddhist temples and/or meditating or do you have other interests? When are you thinking of coming? Unless you say people can't tell you what the weather will be like or how busy things are likely to be.

Might be easier if you have a look at some of the info already on this site to see what the options are as you don't seem to know very much about SE Asia.

First, look at a map to get an idea of where the countries are.

Then, click on the names of the different countries at the top of the page to get an idea of what there is to see and do in each country.

You can also find suggestions for itineraries in the scroll down bar in section called "before you go" at the top of the page.

#2 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 04:47

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

matheus

You will have to use hubs to get to SE Asia from Brazil: maybe Phillipines, Australia, US, or Singapore. LAN codeshares with QANTAS, American Airlines & BA.

An alternative is to London (Stanstead) and AirAsia to Kuala Lumpur. There are also other discount airlines from London to Bangkok.

I think the entry point to SE Asia will determine your journey route.

As for where to go in SE Asia, it's perhaps best that you fashion out a possible journey (that suits your interests) and ask for comments.

Also, go look at this site:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/idlebanter/6976_helping-the-prospective-travel-planner

And work out where you want to spend each week (or so) per which region.

So, get your air tickets organised, then with a place of entry, go fashion a route.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 08:03

• matheusvdd

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2009

Bruce and SBE, thanks so much!
    Really, you guys are so helpful it almost seems untrue.

I guess it must have got something to do with the traveler's ethics.

Anyway, I'll gather up some information and make a more organized post in this thread!

See you!

#4 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 08:33

• mariespurlo-
    ck

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2012
    Location United States

You are from Brazil.. :) Brazil is a beautiful place.. I'd like to travel to brazil someday.. :)
    There many great places to visit in South East Asia.. Try Indonesia you'll never regret..

#5 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 02:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.