Southeast Asia forum

Visa

• jenmoore

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2009

On the 8th October I am heading out to Bangkok. My plan is to travel around Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Loas and also Malaysia. I have given myself 12 weeks in which to travel, 5 of which I wish to spend exploring Thailand.

I understand the max time in Thailand is 30 days, so I was thinking would it be better to:

1) Travel northern thailand, laos, vietnam, cambodia, then come back into thailand and travel the southern section and then over to malaysia

2) OR to travel cambodia, vietnam, laos the travel down thailand and into Malaysia. However since i want to be in thailand for 5 weeks where would it then be best to travel across a border so that I dont expire the 30 day limit!

If somebody would be able to help me out with this that would be amasing!!!

thanks Jen :)

#1 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 22:17

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Jen

For most 'entrants' flying into Thailand, they are provided a 30 day visa. If by land, it's 15 days.

So, without too much drama you can arrange your trip accordingly.

However, the Thai gov't is currently providing several other time length visa options without the 'normal' charge (eg. 60 days, etc.). So, if you think you'd like to get a (say) 60 day visa in advance, go talk to your nearest Thai embassy (look here ).

Also, you've listed a heap of nations you want to visit in that 12 weeks. My hunch is that unless you've done a heap of preparatory planning and are focussing on a couple of places in each country for a couple of weeks (or so), you may be biting off more than you can chew.

I wrote a piece to help those more fascinated by the wonderful options of SE Asia and less oriented to how to actually do it. Have a look at the post here .

Cheers

#2 Posted: 5/9/2009 - 06:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.