Southeast Asia forum

help with route planning...problem being the 30 day max stay in Thailand!!

• jenmoore

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2009

On the 8th October I am heading out to Bangkok. My plan is to travel around Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Loas and also Malaysia. I have given myself 12 weeks in which to travel, 5 of which I wish to spend exploring Thailand.

I understand the max time in Thailand is 30 days, so I was thinking would it be better to:

1) Travel northern thailand, laos, vietnam, cambodia, then come back into thailand and travel the southern section and then over to malaysia

2) OR to travel cambodia, vietnam, laos the travel down thailand and into Malaysia. However since i want to be in thailand for 5 weeks where would it then be best to travel across a border so that I dont expire the 30 day limit!

If somebody would be able to help me out with this that would be amasing!!!

thanks Jen :)

#1 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 22:25

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Jen,

Read this ...

"Tourist visas last for 60 days and the maximum number of entries you can apply for is 3 – giving a total of 6 months in Thailand. You have a 6-month period to use this visa, so your final entry must be before the expiry date. You must leave Thailand for a period of 48 hours at the end of each visa but the final entry can be extended by a further 30 days in Thailand, without leaving the country, at the discretion of Immigration officials."

On June 25th the Thai gov't started waiving the cost of this particular visa. This will last until early March of 2010. So, it would seem that the best thing you could do to make life very easy for yourself, and to give yourself a lot more freedom, would be to get your visa before you leave for Bangkok. Hurry!

#2 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 23:34

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Definitely get the 2 month tourist visa as Tilapia says.

Two reasons.

1. It solves you 5 week stay problem. Thai consulates are issuing tourist visas for free at the moment though there may be some handling charge.

2. It (probably) solves your getting on the plane to Bangkok problem.

Unless you show a proper tourist visa in your passport or an onward flight ticket out of the country within 30 days it's quite likely the airline will refuse to allow you to board the flight to Bangkok.

In my experience a 2 month tourist visa is sufficient but it depends on the airlines how strict they are. There was a recent thread about Emirates requiring an onward air ticket even if you have a visa. Check with your airline.

#3 Posted: 5/9/2009 - 03:14

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

jen

You posted this thread with two different headings. SBE and Tilapia have answered your visa queries (as I per the 'visa' thread). That Q is solved.

On this thread, you've asked "help with route planning".

I noted on the 'visa' post...

You've listed a heap of nations you want to visit in that 12 weeks. My hunch is that unless you've done a lot of preparatory planning and are focussing on a couple of places in each country for a couple of weeks (or so), you may be biting off more than you can chew.

I wrote a piece to help those more fascinated by the wonderful options of SE Asia and less oriented to how to actually do it. Have a look at the post here .

On another Travelfish 'thread' a prospective traveller sought help with a proposed journey. He also wanted to see it all without focussing on the real issue of travel time. It's an interesting 'thread' because the traveller has recently returned from the journey and provided an interesting observation towards planning for the journey. Go read it here .

Cheers

#4 Posted: 5/9/2009 - 06:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Planning and Route Help ... By Samjeans1 on 1 May 2013 6 1153 7 May 2013
Planning a route, money involved. ... By UKTravels on 25 Nov 2013 2 763 25 Nov 2013
Doing Bankok, Phuket and Ko Samui, need help planning route ... By shore9 on 18 Oct 2007 1 3203 19 Oct 2007