Southeast Asia forum

Quick Itinerary

• jclarkson

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2009

I am planning a very quick trip (3 weeks) and really want to hit Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. I'm looking for some fun party spots as well as some more secluded rural areas as well as the must see temples and nature related sights. Any tips on places to go or how to get around quickly and relatively cheaply (with the emphasis though on quickly) would be greatly appreciated. I know it's a short time to spend in that part of the world, however, unfortunately I just don't have the time to spend any longer there. Thanks a ton for all the help

Cheers

Josh

#1 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 02:24

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Josh

What you may want to do/see versus what you actually get to do/see will[/b be two quite different concepts.

If you've read a little of Travelfish, you'll see that I advocate about a week per place/city/area/region. For a fuller expose, go look at:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/idlebanter/6976_helping-the-prospective-travel-planner

Also...

Once you start to move any distance in SE Asia, the whole process can be very time consuming. For example, a flight from A in one country to B in another requires about an hour to get to the airport, 2 hours wait (minimum) and say the flight is an hour, and exiting at the other end plus another (say) hour to accommodation, then you've just blown 5 hours - which also means you've blown a day's sightseeing/partying, etc.

My usual suggestion is one week per per place/city/area/region, and one city & two non-city week-places per country.

So, you choose which country. If Laos, one week Vientiane and travel to Vang Vieng, one week Luang Prabang, and one week to Huay Xai & Gibbon Experience.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 06:16

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Josh

I replied to all three of your posts. somtam removed two.

In each I offered different observations. I'll repeat.

- - -

What you may want to do/see versus what you actually get to do/see will be two quite different concepts.

If you've read a little of Travelfish, you'll see that I advocate about a week per place/city/area/region. For a fuller expose, go look at:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/idlebanter/6976_helping-the-prospective-travel-planner

Also...

Once you start to move any distance in SE Asia, the whole process can be very time consuming. For example, a flight from A in one country to B in another requires about an hour to get to the airport, 2 hours wait (minimum) and say the flight is an hour, and exiting at the other end plus another (say) hour to accommodation, then you've just blown 5 hours - which also means you've blown a day's sightseeing/partying, etc.

My usual suggestion is one week per per place/city/area/region, and one city & two non-city week-places per country.

So, you choose which country.

If Laos, one week Vientiane and travel to Vang Vieng, one week Luang Prabang, and one week to Huay Xai & Gibbon Experience.

If Cambodia, one week Siem Reap, one week Phnom Penh & Sihanoukville, one week beach/islands.

If Vietnam, 10 days HaNoi (including 3 days HaLong Bay & 3 days BacHa & SaPa), 3 days Hoi An, 2 days DaLat, and 5 Saigon (including maybe 1 or 2 at Vung Tau or Long Hai).

Cheers

#3 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 07:03

• jclarkson

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2009

I'm not getting into this "suspend brucemoon or not debate" but thank you a ton for the advice. I really want to hit at least two of those three countries and would appreciate any advice on which ones to visit. Honestly, I'm looking for a blend of partying and off the beaten path scenes that will be overdeveloped in a few years. I definitely plan on returning to the region to take in all of the awesome culture it has to offer. However, I figure I can do that once I've got the wife and kids people debate bringing to VV. Basically, I would greatly appreciate any tips on how to party and see some unique spots in a couple of weeks in Cambodia, Laos and/or Vietnam.

#4 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 14:48

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Which aiport are you flying into? For three weeks I would suggest choosing two countries at most.

I don't know enough about Vietnam but I can give good advice regarding Cambodia.

Lets say you decide to stay in Cambodia for 10 days. For some partying you could have a good time in Sihanoukville and Siem Reap. To get off the beaten path you could see Battambang and Kampot/Kep. That could all be done in 10 days and give you the other week and a half for whichever other country you choose.

#5 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 22:58

• jclarkson

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2009

Not sure on airports yet, I was kind of starting to think about doing mostly Vietnam with a side trip to Laos, (gotta get that tubing in VV tank top). Any suggestions regarding that idea would be great and thanks for the tips about Cambodia, its definitely still a possibility

#6 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 08:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.