Southeast Asia forum

Cambodia, Laos and/or Vietnam

• jclarkson

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2009

I realize hitting all three in only a few week is pretty much impossible. I would love some advice as to which two of the three to do and why, thanks.

#1 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 15:20

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Best place to start is the suggested itineraries section, that will help you to get an idea of how long it takes to get around etc. A sample four country trip is here: http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1

Give a few a look over and come back with any questions.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 15:47

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

jclarkson I saw on another thread where you wrote, " while I appreciate seeing a nation's real culture, I do like to have a drink or two and chase some girls (skinny backpackers, or fat if I'm drunk enough" probably helpfull for folks to know what you're looking for, no worries, no appellate court to kick it up to here.

I'm probably not a very good source of info (old, monogamous, married for ever)but I'll do my best.

I notice every time at Vang Vien a lot of the age is early twenties to very early 30s weighted towards the younger end. Sometimes I'll see three or four young English/Swedish/Australian/etc women together that seem to have one objective in mind on vacation.

Also when my wife and I stayed at some bungaloes in Koh Samui in 03 we kept thinking we were the only ones staying there until we happened to be around in the aftenoon the third day and all the young folks started to wake up. They would go for a quick swim, do some ealy evening eating and touristing, then get down to serious clubbing until the sun came up.

One word of warning, and no it's not about protection, you say backpackerettes but you wouldn't be the first to head east and succumb to yellow fever, beware.

#3 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 19:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Man, Somsai and I are finally in agreement.

Avoid the backpackerettes, succumb... that's the only point we'd disagree on.

It's tough to advise where to go before we know what you want to do. Why are you coming out here? A lot easier to give intelligent advise. Otherwise I'd be saying "Well why aren't you going to Thailand - it's a lot nicer than the other three." But some people have specific reasons why they would prefer Laos or Cambodia or Vietnam. For ME Thailand is preferable, for others maybe somewhere else is. For someone who hasn't been here before, then the way to narrow that down is to look at why you want to come here.

#4 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 22:15

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

The last time I was in SE Asia I totally stuck to Travelfish's suggestions. Was in Koh Samui and stayed on the best beach (according to Travelfish).

What I realized that what Travelfish regards as the best beach is the one that would be best for a couple. Or someone a little older looking for quiet.

Now don't get me wrong, I still think Travelfish is the best and only use it when I travel to SE Asia. But you have to keep in mind that when travelfish says an area sucks (due to over-development, noise, etc.) that is usually the area where a young guy will have the best chance of meeting a nice young traveler girl.

#5 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 22:45

• jclarkson

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2009

Thanks for the tips, with regards to Thailand, I was just there and loved it! I kept running into people that had been to Thailand, Cambodia and Laos (or at least one or two of them). They all absolutely loved it and it sounded like a great trip, so that's why I'm planning on heading there for winter break.

#6 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 02:40

• jclarkson

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2009

Sorry that should have said Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, and yea maybe I succumbed once or twice.

#7 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 02:52

• jclarkson

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2009

And mostly I'm there to party and take side trip or two off the beaten path and see the obligatory temple or two.

#8 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 02:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

From what I've heard from people who've been there, Sihanoukville might be OK for you, Saigon - a bit pricey but fun, VV in Laos (which everyone likes to dump on)... unfortunately getting from one of these places to the next would be a pain.

#9 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 12:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.