Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary help

• NewbieC

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009

Hi

Myself and my other half are doing 70 days in SE Asia...Just wanted to get some ideas on itinerary... if you think we could skip some place/spend more time in some. We're keen for a mixed experience beaches, trekking, busy, quiet etc...and we don't mind flying a bit as some flights as so cheap and save you days (but I still need to look more into this)

Day 1-3 Bangkok
    Day 3-9 South Thailand (Beach)

Day 10-15 South Laos (fly into)Bay 1000 islands
    Day 16-17 Vietanne (maybe fly?)
    Day 18-21 Viang Viang
    Day 22-28 Luang Prabeng

Day 29-34 Head to Hanoi (fly into) then to SAPA
    Day 34-38 Hanoi and Ha Long
    Day 39-41 Hue (fly into)
    Day 41-43 Hoi An
    Day 44-46 Saigon (fly into)

Day 47-49 P Phen
    Day 50-51 Sihanoukville
    Day 52-54 Kampot
    Day 55-57 Battambang
    Day 58-60 Siam Riep
    Day 61-62 Ko Kong

Day 63-70 South Thailand then home

Any tips / thoughts would be great

Thanks!!!

#1 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 19:06

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

First question is what time of year is the trip -- as that will effect advice re southern Thai islands due to weather concerns.

Cheers!

#2 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 19:13

• NewbieC

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009

Hey

Feb to April - not sure on the order of the trip as we arrive and leave in Bangkok and we need to be in Vietnam for those days as meeting up with friends.

Thanks

#3 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 19:30

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Kampot
    When you are in Kampot you should rent a scooter and ride out to Kep for the day (or even stay the night). I enjoyed the ride just make sure you have googles or sunglasses to protect your eyes from those dusty dirt roads!

Sihanoukville
    Keep a loose schedule because you might want to stay there for more than one night. Especially if you're beach bums or you need to give the wallet a vacation (50 cent beers are the norm).

Battambang
    Glad you included this city. Enjoy the chicken fetus eggs by the river during sunset!

#4 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 19:37

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ok, that helps - thanks.

I'd do the beginning beach section on Thailand's west coast (lots of islands to choose from), and I'd have the closing break on the east coast -- probably Ko Pha Ngan if you want to lay around, Ko Tao if you want to dive.

After Island break #1, unless you're really set on southern Laos, I'd drop it and instead see a bit of northern Thailand and then cross into Laos at the northern border crossing at Huay Xai from where you could go do the Gibbon Experience, then back to Huay Xai, boat down the river to Luang Prabang then either fly to Hanoi of south via Vang vieng to Vientiane and fly from there (to Hanoi).

Vietnam bit looks straightforward.

For Cambodia. I'd suggest in this order:
    Phnom Penh -> Siem Reap -> battambang -> Sihanoukville -> Kampot/Kep -> Sihanoukville -> Ko Kong -> exit to Thailand. I suggets this route, mainly because Siem Reap to Ko Kong direct is a serious pain in the backside to do.

Once you're back in Thailand, down to the Gulf islands then Bangkok and exit!

Have fun!

#5 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 20:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.