Southeast Asia forum

Thailand, Laos, Cambodia: Another itinerary to rate!

• jonny5

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

Hello everyone,

I'm an American student currently living in Japan. This whole thing started as a glorified visa run, but I eventually decided on make a real (but too short) trip out of it. I'm a reasonably experienced traveller (probably not experienced as most of you, though!), but this will be my first time in SE Asia. As much as I want to have an "authentic" experience and meet and interact with locals, I can't help but notice my current plans are pretty much only the big tourist hot spots. Of course, my main interests are history and food, so I'm not sure it can be helped too much! Oh, and I'm going next week! (I think I should've done this earlier, but...)

I never stick to an itinerary, but this is a rough idea of the route I want to take:

27th & 28th: Bangkok
    29: Aranya Prathet
    30: Poipet to Battambang
    October 1st: Battambang
    2-5: Siem Reap
    6: Fly to Vientiane
    7: Vientiane
    8: ? (From what I hear, VV wouldn't really be my cup of tea, but I think a pit stop along the way is a good idea.)
    9 - 14: Luang Prabang and surrounds
    15: Fly into Chiang Mai
    16: Chiang Rai (I have a Thai friend I'm meeting here, and there's a night train to Ayutthaya , right?)
    17: Ayutthaya - Bangkok
    18: Fly back to Japan

Let me know what you think, please! Thank you!
    Jonny

P.S. Should I have already booked the flights to Siem Reap and Chiang Mai? I can still do that fairly cheaply in country, right?

#1 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 13:14

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Alternatively you might spend a little time in Bangkok, see the sights, then head to some place like Nong Khai on the night train, hang out there for a while and see how the "interacting with locals" goes. Then head to Vientiane.

#2 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 01:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey jonny,

wow. this looks like a crushingly busy itinerary to me. if you think this might be your only chance to visit SEA, then go for it. but if you think you might be back, i'd streamline the schedule a bit.

here's a few thoughts that may (or may not) help:

you can easily make it all the way from Bangkok to Siem Reap in a day by road or in a few hours by air, so unless you are particularly keen to visit Aranyaprathet and Battambang, i'd try to save a few days by going straight from BKK to Siem Reap.

the bus ride from Vientiane to Luang Prabang is an all-day sort of thing. personally i loved it, particularly the switchbacks through the mountains, but not everyone enjoys this bus trip. flying from VTE to Luang Prabang is also an option.

since you have the chance to fly so much (BKK to Siem Reap, Siem Reap to VTE, VTE to LP, LP to Chiang Mai ), if you haven't yet you might want to look into the Discovery Air Pass. there is info about that option on Travelfish. i think it might be a good idea to sort out your flights before you go too, since you are on a tight schedule and the number of flights and seats on those routes is limited.

are you meeting your friend in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai ? i ask because there is an overnight train from Chiang Mai to Ayutthaya and on to Bangkok but no train from Chiang Rai. Chiang Rai is about three hours by bus from Chiang Mai. also, i love Ayutthaya, particularly as a warm up to Angkor and Siem Reap. but it may be a bit of a let down after Angkor.

if you are looking to streamline your itin a bit, one option may be to cut out the Cambodia portion. limited time and money sometimes means making tough choices. i thought MADMAC made an excellent suggestion about exploring BKK a bit and then taking the overnight train directly to Nong Khai, exploring that, and then heading into VTE and continuing your trip more or less as planned from there. regards.

#3 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 04:59

• CheapCharley

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

Lots to do on that trip. 3 days Angkor Wat good do the large loop. Vientine was a waste. Luang Prabang was very cool and I would have spent another day in Ving Vang the best burger in Asia is at the Ausie guesthouse named I forget? on the strip but I am sure you will find it. Night train to Nog Kai was good advise. 2nd class aircon. book it as far in advance as you can. My advise would be fly into Luang Prabang and then travel over land to Nong Kai and catch the train to Bangkok or fly from Vientine to Chaing Mai Cheap Flights Laos

totaly agree that batembang is a waste of time one of the worst borders to cross, takes forever the guards are some of the worst for over charging . Taxi bus touts all lie through their teeth (I speak some Khmer) The town itself has no redeaming value that I can see.

Get a motorbike and drive any direction out of Chaing Mai and you will have a great time and meet lots of locals when you stop for directions and refreshments. Don't stop at the dog farms (don't ask)

Monsson should be mostly over, nice and cool.

#4 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 09:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Charlie
    Remember different strokes for different folks. I know some people who love Vientiane and hate VV. It really depends on what the individual in question is looking for.

#5 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 17:48

• CheapCharley

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

I wish I had those 4 days back the only thing that I liked was the Patuxy tower, Now of course if you like ladyboys and a fountain there is lots to do in Vientiane.

VV some of the most awsome scenery on the planet!

#6 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 18:48

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Greetings neighbor. I'm an American in Korea.

I always say this over and over but it really is too much. You have a 20 day trip and it looks like you will spend half that time in taxis, busses and at the airport.

Most of the places that you plan to visit are visited by many other travelers. You'll interact with the locals, but to the extent that they'll see you as a potential customer for whatever service they provide.

But as far as your plans go, just look at this.
    30: Poipet to Battambang
    October 1st: Battambang
    2-5: Siem Reap
    6: Fly to Vientiane
    7: Vientiane

So your only going to spend a day and a half in Battambang, then the 4 hours or so it takes to get to Siem Reap. The next three days you'll spend looking at Ankor Wat then your going to wake up and go to the airport to fly to Vientiane for only a day before you go to VV for only a day then go to LPB?

Whoa thats busy. I'd take it easy and enjoy yourself. How about cutting one country out for next time. Do whatever you want I'm just saying that time in SE Asia is precious and time wasted on travel cuts into other valuable time.

If I were you I would cut out Cambodia. That would help you geographically since you have to end up in Chiang Rai to meet your friend.

Anyway think it over. Your way is feasible but I know after long bus rides or dealing with inter-SE Asian air transport, the last thing I want to do is think about another long ride only a couple of days later!

#7 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 19:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I wish I had those 4 days back the only thing that I liked was the Patuxy tower, Now of course if you like ladyboys and a fountain there is lots to do in Vientiane ."

See there you go - some guys are into lady boys. And Rufus like Vientiane and hate VV and I don't think he's into lady boys.

#8 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 22:15

• jonny5

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

Thanks for the advice!

Point taken. I'll definitely clip a few destinations. I'm not sure about removing Cambodia entirely, though. I'm somehow attached to the idea of going there, and I can't say when I'll be in the area again.

Really, planning this trip has been murder for me. In travelling Korea and Japan (or anywhere I've been, for that matter), I usually find that I prefer backwater little towns that aren't even in the guidebooks. There's still old stuff (i.e. temples and castles) to look at, but no one's there to mess up the view, and the people are just nicer and more laid back than they are in Tokyo or Seoul. Since I lived in these countries(and they have millions of trains and busses on paved roads!), going was easy. I guess I just planned this trip by thinking up all the places I'd already heard of and then finding them on a map. I think I'm going to replan my entire trip, now.

Thanks again!

#9 Posted: 19/9/2009 - 11:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

OK, that was an important piece of info. You enjoy backwaters that are interesting - consider going to Ubon Rathathani and then to Khemerat and up the Mekong from there. Not traveled hardly at all by tourists. A stop in Mukdahan and the Phu Phra Thoep national park might interest you. Then go to That Phanom - one of the oldest Chedis in Thailand. Just a great temple. Then on to Nakhon Phanom and see Ho Chi Minh's old house. There are almost no tourists up there, and the mountain view across the river is beautiful. Then on up from NKP to Nong Khai - long drive which you might want to break up - zero tourists on that stretch of the Mekong.

Something to consider if you want to get off the beaten path.

#10 Posted: 19/9/2009 - 12:47

• Advertisement

• jonny5

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

Hey,

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the advice. I agonized over it, but I finally decided to cut the Cambodia leg of this trip and take it slow up to Laos and back around to Chiang Rai. Angkor will still be there when I make it around to SE Asia again (...at least, I hope it will). The places Madmac mentioned sound fantastic, and I still have two days to figure out how to get there! Ha! Thanks again!

#11 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 23:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

#12 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 00:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand/Cambodia/Laos Itinerary ... By luciehayes on 14 Mar 2006 4 3403 12 Apr 2006
2 month itinerary - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia - What do you think? ... By jthomps on 14 Apr 2010 11 4249 18 Apr 2010
One month itinerary - Thailand/Laos/Cambodia - Help Please ... By naaz on 7 Aug 2009 12 6499 10 Aug 2009
Thailand/Cambodia/Laos 6 WEEKS ITINERARY ... By charlottem92 on 19 May 2014 6 682 20 May 2014
Final Itinerary for Thailand / Laos / Cambodia ... By nish on 2 Nov 2011 3 1344 24 Nov 2011
Itinerary Advice - Thailand, Cambodia, Laos ... By sandy_28 on 4 Jul 2007 3 3354 9 Jul 2007
Thailand/Laos/Cambodia 6 week itinerary ... By pascal1980 on 31 Dec 2011 16 6095 2 Nov 2012
4 Weeks in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia - Critique my Itinerary! ... By guyincognito on 25 Feb 2013 4 2409 28 Feb 2013
Advice Itinerary 2 months: Thailand, Laos & Cambodia ... By andreabarbera on 22 Mar 2013 5 4073 26 Mar 2013
Yet another itinerary...6.5 weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By woodstock8 on 26 May 2010 4 4601 1 Jun 2010