Southeast Asia forum

Vietnam or cambodia......

• think87

Click here to learn more about think87
    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

My long awaited 5 month trip is coming next month and although i'm not planning much and kind of just winging it as to an itinerary as i might want to stay in one place longer than planned etc, i do want to have a rough idea of how long in each country.

I'm doing about a 5 weeks in Thailand, 6 weeks in Laos , 4 weeks in Malaysia and 1 week in Singapore.

Vietnam and cambodia are left to fill the remaining time however im not sure whether to put it towards one or the othere, both, or neither and just stay in the others longer....

any advice?

#1 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 10:24

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well, a lot would depend on the route you were planning and how easily you could wangle Vn and Kh into them.

That's a good spell in Laos, so if you're travelling at the pace that suggests, I'd suggest biting off one chunk of Vn, phaps the north for three weeks and then doing a hop skip and a jump through Kh to pick up PP and SR.

Chuck up a rough itinerary if you can, and i'll try to be a smidgen more useful!

cheers

#2 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 18:31

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

:-P

hmmmm.. OK well this isnt set in stone or anything but the rough idea is to try and cover northern/ northeastern thailand, then head to laos overland through huay xai. then try and cover all of laos working from top to bottom or bottom to top, doesnt really matter. AFter laos perhaps vietnam/cambodia in some manner, and finally ending in malaysia and spending the month of march there.

So roughly:

Nov to mid Dec. in thailand.

mid Dec. to Feb in laos.

Feb - march is time in question.

March to April in malaysia/singapore.

Hopefully you can whip me up and idea of how best to include or not include them or what parts would be best...

thanks

#3 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 21:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

OK that helps - thanks.

The most obvious route would be to take a left at the bottom of southern Laos, using the Bo Y crossing to enter Vietnam in the central highlands. From there you could pop up to Hoi An and roll down the coast to Saigon, then Delta -- could easily spend three to four weeks doing that. From there you could overland through cambodia, seeing Phnom Penh and Siem Reap then grab a cheap flight from SR to KL in Malaysia.

The other option would be to strike north from Hoi An so spending three or four weeks in the north, but then Cambodia is pretty much off the table as you'd finish up in Hanoi ... which is a long wat from Malaysia!

#4 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 07:17

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Thanks!

That actually sounds perfect, especially keeping cambodia down to PP and angkor. I through up a rough itinerary and posted it just under this topic and hopefully can get some great ideas on the entire trip, but for this seems like a very nice way to include them.

I think south vn sounds alot more reasonable route for me since malaysia is the next stop.

#5 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 07:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.