Southeast Asia forum

Best way to travel by land from Bangkok,Laos,Cambodia and Malaysia?

• cij

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2009

For our 4 weeks of our holiday we want to travel from Thailand to Laos,Cambodia and Malaysia I know we wont have a lot of time in each place but was wondering if anyone knew the best route to take by land aside from airflight to each place? And travel time scales from each place to another?

if anyone has any info they could share, that would be very much appreciated.

thanks,

cij

#1 Posted: 11/10/2009 - 01:23

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Was this posted in "competitions" because someone is holding a competition to see if it's possible to travel overland from Thailand to Laos to Cambodia (back to Thailand) to Malaysia in four weeks? Even if you spent ALL of your time in transport, is this possible?

I suggest you read a bunch of info on this site (i.e. itinerary suggestions, etc.), do a little re-thinking, and consider the facts that these are not small countries and the land transport systems are very slow (especially in Laos and Cambodia).

Once you do some research come back with some more specific questions.

#2 Posted: 11/10/2009 - 10:59

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As per DLeuk, trying to cover Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia in four weeks without flying is a bit unrealistic as you'll be spending the majority of your trip travelling.

Take a look at the suggested itinerary section to get an idea of how long it takes to get around. If you still want to cover four countries then I'd suggest doing a lot of flying and look to use KL as your hub, flying all over the shop with AirAsia.

(I've moved this from competitions to a more relevant branch!)

#3 Posted: 12/10/2009 - 08:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It is possible to travel by rail from Paris to Kamchatka, and I'm sure you can make it through these four countries too. The question is, why would you want to?

Fly to KL, Malaysia. Take the train to Bangkok (that should be a fun ride). From Bangkok take the train to Nong Khai (or Vientiane), then bus it down the Laotian panhandle, cross into Cambodia and fly out of Phnom Phen. You will see little and experience nothing but buses and trains and bus and train stations - but I suppose it's possible.

#4 Posted: 12/10/2009 - 12:02

• cij

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2009

Hi,

Thank you Dluek,somtam200 and MADMAC for your reply.
    Im doing some readings and asking some common friends too.
    Dluek, im sorry if i posted it in competitions branch,i just joined the site and im not quite familiar yet. Somtam, thank you very much for moving my post in more relevant branch. Im checking airasia now also.
    Thanks too MADMAC, I will check trains and buses or any transport going from one place to another.
    I know that 4wks is not enough to see those countries, we will try to see if we can extend our days for another 4 weeks.

THANK YOU again guys, I do much appreciated it.

cij

#5 Posted: 12/10/2009 - 12:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"I know that 4wks is not enough to see those countries, we will try to see if we can extend our days for another 4 weeks."

Four months isn't enough to see those countries... I've been living in Thaland two years and I still need to see and learn a ton.

#6 Posted: 13/10/2009 - 23:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best way to travel by land from Thailand to Laos,Cambodia ... By cij on 11 Oct 2009 0 3268 11 Oct 2009
Can I travel via land boarder from Malaysia to Thailand with a Tourist 30 day visa? ... By eflaherty on 4 May 2013 2 1472 5 May 2013
26/m Thailand,Vietnam,Cambodia,Laos,Malaysia Nov 1st- Dec 19, Looking for travel partners or friends ... By 0481908 on 25 May 2012 4 1151 25 May 2012
23/m Thailand,Vietnam,Cambodia,Laos,Malaysia feb 15-April 30, Looking for travel partners or friends ... By coconut_boi on 15 Jan 2012 4 1754 5 Feb 2012
Travel from Bangkok to Phuket by land (plus more) ... By emmajanegraham on 26 Sep 2007 5 19581 1 Oct 2007