Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary for 4 months in SEA. Feedback and suggestions wanted.

• janime

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2009

Hi everyone!

This is my first longer trip and I´m looking for feedback and suggestions/recommendations for my itinerary in SEA trip next JAN-MAY.

This board has been very helpful for planning my trip and I have found a lot of answers to my questions but I still hope to have some info from more experienced backpackers.

Here is a preliminary plan for my route:

View Southeast Asia tour in a larger map

Map embedded by admin
    I´m flying with my friends from Tampere, Finland to London and from there to Kuala Lumpur.

I´d like feedback to my itinerary and recommendations places outside my plan.

Budget I had in mind is about 20€/30$ a day excluding flights. I think that should be enough.

#1 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 18:49

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've just embedded your map -- should make it easier for people to visualise -- looks like a great trip -- and I do have some suggestions, but I'm making dinner right now!

Will post later tonight or tommorrow.

You know you can link to Travelfish for all those Wiki links... ;-)

#2 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 19:13

• janime

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2009

Thanks.

Looks a LOT better now!

I´ll work with those links later ;)

#3 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 19:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It would help if you listed your preferences - what you hope to see, what you hope to experience, things you like to do, things you don't like.

#4 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 20:39

• janime

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2009

What I like and want to do.
    -Beaches, snorkeling
    -Take a diving course somewhere on the route(I have no previous experience) Any suggestions(I have been thinking Gili Trawangan or Ko Lipe)?
    -Nature and animals
    -Architecture
    -Culture
    -Relaxing
    -To meet other people. Backpackers and maybe locals too.

Main thing is to relax and keep low budget (20€ a day), excluding the divecourse and flights.

I don´t have anything specific that don´t want to see or experience. Maybe avoid expensive and most crowded package tourist places. I know I might have those too on my itinerary ;)

Just looking here for new ideas and your recommendations where to go and what to see or not to see.

#5 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 21:24

• janime

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2009

Something about timetables.

Arrive to KL 14.1.2010
    5-6 weeks in Thailand
    2-3 weeks in Laos
    2-3 weeks in Cambodzia
    Flight from Bangkok to Denpasar 23.3.2010
    2-4 weeks in Bali and Gilis
    4-6 weeks in Singapore, Malaysia and maybe Sumatra.

#6 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 21:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Are you a man or a woman? Are you romantically involved if you are a man. Very few man plan to spend four months on vacation anywhere and be celibate. That has to be fatored into your budget. Also, do you drink? This is a beer drinking place if there ever was one. Another budget eater.

#7 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 22:28

• janime

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2009

I´m a man. And in a relationship. My girlfriend will travel with me. And I drink too, but not too often.

#8 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 22:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

So the woman issue is taken care of. That will cost or save - I'm not sure - but it's a decided issue at any rate.

Don't drink too much. Good. That's a money safer too.

Based on what you've written that itinerary looks good to me. You have a lot of time, not too many stops (so you're not rushing around), has some flexibility in it... I think you've got it well planned out. I assume you are planning on flying the "long legs" of the trip?

#9 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 22:48

• janime

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2009

Yes, we have bought two flights, Bangkok-Denpasar and Denpasar-Singpore. Rest of it will be travelled by land or sea.

#10 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 22:59

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

What about the Laos to Cambodia leg? It looks like your last city is Vientiane and then you go from there to Cambodia. That's a LONG WAY by bus - there ain't no rail. That's a multi-day trip.

I presume (although the map outline doesn't show it) that you will be going from Cambodia to southern Thailand by sea. I assume you've checked this out already and that's feasible (I honestly don't know) because again, if that's overland, that's a multi day trip as well.

#11 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 23:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Oh, and is your budget for you AND your girlfriend? That's a bit tight in my opinion. But 20 Euro each - should be fine, excluding travel costs.

It's hard to tell from your map, but it looks like your first stop in Northern Thailand from Bangkok to Chiang Mai - which should be fine by bus or rail.

#12 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 00:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Also I've heard Singapore is pretty pricey - but I've never been there.

#13 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 00:03

• janime

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2009

There is two stops between Vientiane and Cambodia. Pakse and Si Phan Don. If you zoom the map you will see them.

In Thailand we will stop also in Auytthaya on the way to Chiang Mai for a day or two, maybe somewhere else too. Still waiting for recommendations.

From Cambodia we´ll go back to Bangkok and fly from there to Denpasar.

Budget is 20€ each.

Yes Singapore might be more expensive but we are going to stay there just a few days.

#14 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 00:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I'd stop in Savankhet between Vientiane and Pakse. That's a long trip - doable in a day, but definitely not fun. Long, hot bus ride. With emphasis on long.

#15 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 00:30

• candyman

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2009

If you take the river from Kampong Cham to Kratie, there is a nice temple on the way called Han Jay. I have made the trip by the small blue motor boats in Kampong Cham, it was about $15 round trip and the boat can hold 3 or 4 people easily. Fun way to see the river as well. Koh Bine over the bamboo bridge in Kampong Cham is worth a couple of hours--very pretty island. Also, about 25 minutes along the road to Suong from KC is a rubber tree plantation. I was surprised how pretty it was. There are better rubber tree plantations but that one is close.

These are pretty relaxing/let's you experience nature plus a little bit of Khmer culture.

#16 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 00:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

DAMN! I just lost my reply!

Here's the abridged version:

It's a well touristed trail you're doing so you'll have no problem meeting other travellers.

Consider the weather and diving conditions when you decide where to do your PADI cert Bali will be wet at the time you're there, Lipe should be fine, another option is Ko Tao north of Ko Pha Ngan

Ways to get off the trail:
    Consider stopping at Tha Khaek (between Vientiane and Pakse) and tripping out to Konglor cave

There's stacks to do between Bangkok and Chiang Mai: Here is a primer
    More islands? here are some on teh SW coast

Your budget sounds ok to me.

Cheers -- looks like a fun trip!

#17 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 15:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Consider stopping at Tha Khaek (between Vientiane and Pakse) and tripping out to Konglor cave"

I have to ask, why would you stay at Tha Khaek over Savanakhet? Honestly I think Tha Khaek is a hole. Small, boring...

#18 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 17:31

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Primarily because Tha Kheak is about 100km closer to Konglor Cave than Savannakhet.

#19 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 08:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

OK, maybe I'll check out the cave and then climb the mountain back. I'm still fit enough to do that. RON in Tha Khaek doesn't thrill me, so maybe I'll make my way back to NKP before the last ferry.

#20 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 12:18

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

someone else's photos of Konglor cave:
    http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21899

#21 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 12:47

• janime

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2009

Thanks everyone.

The Konglor Cave sounds like a place worth visiting.

Any recommendations for the Si Phan Don area?

#22 Posted: 22/10/2009 - 18:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Feedback wanted on 2 books on SEA ... By Lawoat on 11 Jul 2009 0 3156 11 Jul 2009
2 months in SÊ-Asia - feedback on trip details much appreciated! ... By Seba on 30 Sep 2009 8 2614 2 Oct 2009