Southeast Asia forum

Any Comments on Planned Itinerary?

• RichMelZA

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009
    Location South Africa

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning our first SE Asia backpack trip next year, very exciting - but also fairly terrifying! :-)

We have a total of 6 weeks exactly. We hope to get a taste for Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. We are landing in Bangkok on 7 Jan and booked into the Lamphu Treehouse hotel on our arrival for 3 nights. Splashing a bit above budget, but wanted a reasonably 'soft landing' in the region! :-)

After 3 nights in Bangkok, we plan to do the following:
    - Bus to Aranyaprathet and overnight
    - Early morning border crossing and taxi to Siem Reap (holding thumbs we make it through the visa/taxi scamfest)
    - 3 nights at Siem Reap
    - 1 night at Phnom Penh
    - Cross into Vietnam (road or boat to border?)
    Dilemma #1: Need some help planning the next +-10 days exploring Mekong & HCMC. Phu Quoc island looks beautiful, but getting to Rach Gia looks potentially tricky. Any ideas/suggestions?
    - Fly from HCMC back to Bangkok
    Dilemma #2: At this stage we will have +-3.5 weeks left.

As we both love natural reserves, we would like to leave a few days at the end to explore Kaeng Krachan/Hua Hin.

So, we are leaving ourselves +-3 weeks for beaches & island hopping.

Option 1 - Ko Tao/Ko Samui/Ko Pha Ngan
    Option 2 - Phuket/Phi Phi/Krabi
    Option 3 - Try and in squeeze all of the above.

On previous travels, we usually prefer to spend longer getting to know fewer areas well, rather than rushing from place to place. Which is my concern with trying to take Option 3 above.

Also, we are not into the raucous party scene, and are looking for the more quieter, remote, tranquil beach areas. Places with good snorkelling are an extra bonus.

Appreciate any help/ideas/suggestions. Love the website - travelfish is half the reason we are doing this trip :-)

-Richard & Melissa
    Durban, South Africa

#1 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 19:07

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi R&M,

I'm afraid I can't help with the Vietnam question above, but I do have a few comments on your itinerary.

First, the border crossing fiesta at Aranyaprathet/Poi Pet really isn't all that bad.

Second, flying back from HCMC to Bangkok you should be able to get a 30-day visa waiver on arrival, but if you are staying any longer than those 30 days, you might need to apply for a visa in Vietnam before arriving.

Third, I'd let the weather and time of year help me decide between your Option 1 vs. Option 2 choices above for Thailand beach hopping. Normally I suggest that people try to do fewer destinations, but in your case, three weeks is a good chunk of time and probably enough to see all the places you mentioned. Logistically speaking, you could fly from Bangkok to Phuket, then ferry to Phi Phi and on to Krabi, then bus to Surat Thani and Samui, then ferry to Phangan and on to Koh Tao. From there to Chumphon and a quick trip up to Hua Hin. At least you wouldn't have to backtrack. Having said all that, I'd still keep those plans fluid and let the weather be a big, last-minute factor in deciding what to do. Hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 22:30

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

On the delta part, I'd suggest getting the boat from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc then Can Tho (by bus) see the floating markets etc, then bus to Rach Gia for an overnight before boat to Phu Quoc Island .Once you're done on the island you can either fly direct back to Saigon or take another route back up through the Delta.

For your island hopping, perhaps consider option 4 :-) head further south to either Trang or Satun . See this story: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/135 for a roundup on the islands off Trang, or else off Satun you have Ko tarutao, Ko Lipe and others. all tend to be more relaxed spots that Phi Phi etc.

Glad to hear you've found the site useful!

Cheers

#3 Posted: 22/10/2009 - 06:55

• RichMelZA

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009
    Location South Africa

Thanks exacto and somtam.

We are keeping out second leg in Thailand at 28 days so we'll be under the 30 day visa limit.

Hadn't even considered the islands further South. From my travel books and research online, it seems the political issues are all quite a bit further South than Trang; the Trang area seems to be considered generally safe. Gosh: trying to pick islands to stay on near Trang is next to impossible! Thanks for the link to the article on islands in that region, they all look so beautiful it's impossible to choose...I always prefer to go with a local's advice: so, any local knowledge anyone can share on which island to choose? ;-)

Taking your advice somtan, after arriving back from Saigon, we're going to fly from Bangkok to Phuket, then make our way South from there to Phi Phi, Ko Lanta , and then either on the mainland from Krabi to Trang, or if possible directly from Ko Lanta to one of the Trang islands by boat (is this possible?).

Depending on how our timing is going, we could either fly back from Trang to Bangkok, or train back up the mainland via Hua Hin.

#4 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 02:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Have I planned too much? Itinerary review.. ... By nish on 6 Sep 2011 10 2687 5 Oct 2011
my planned itinerary for july 2006... opinions (and costs!) ... By bonbongirl on 23 Jun 2006 3 1778 25 Jun 2006
itinerary for comments! ... By xhai on 31 Aug 2009 5 2663 1 Sep 2009
Rouh Itinerary - Comments welcome ... By Mangala on 20 Nov 2009 2 2085 20 Nov 2009
Vietnam - a 60 day itinerary - comments ... By kandpfishos on 9 Jun 2011 7 3240 7 Jul 2011
Open minded for comments on Itinerary! Thanks! ... By virgingirl on 5 May 2011 5 2271 6 Aug 2011
3 week itinerary in SE Asia - Comments needed ... By randy_from_canada on 8 May 2008 2 3487 15 May 2008
Itinerary Advice/Comments Wanted - Asia ... By brothbart on 18 Dec 2009 5 3971 17 Apr 2012
Firts Trip To Vietnam Itinerary (Can someone please add their comments?) ... By gracenpaul on 29 Jul 2009 3 1922 29 Jul 2009