Southeast Asia forum

Angkor Wat from Singapore - advice pls?

• ronaldev

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2009

Hi everyone. Been reading some of the posts and seems that lots of people are going to cambodia. I'll be in Singapore on Dec 21, any advice how can I go to cambodia? What's the best way and the cheapest mode? Then I have to be back to Sing since I have a confirmed flight from Singapore to Phuket on Dec 26. looking for a travel buddy too!

#1 Posted: 26/11/2009 - 18:54

• Advertisement

• carlocargo

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2007

there's a direct flight from singapore to siem reap via jet star. i'm just not sure if it's the cheapest but it beats bangkok to siem reap on the bangkok airways monopoly. it gets you there faster since you have to be back in singapore in 5 days time. i think you should stay in siem reap for 3 to 4 days so that you can maximize the sights of angkor. have fun.

#2 Posted: 26/11/2009 - 22:54

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

There's absolutely no way you could get from Singapore to Cambodia overland and back in 5 days, so your only option is to fly.

Jetstar (www.jetstar.com) and Silk Air (www.silkair.com) fly direct from Singapore to Siam Reap.

It's not going to be cheap around the Xmas holiday though -- a lot of people from SG will be going for a short holiday too!

A quick check of flights departing Dec 21 and return Dec 25 results in:

Silk Air -- $1,114 SGD
    JetStar -- sold out on those dates!

#3 Posted: 27/11/2009 - 23:08

• ronaldev

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2009

hi carlocargo & idreamofdurian,
    thanks for the tips. it looks like cambodia won't be an option because of the too expensive fare. maybe i'll do it next time when I travel Asia again. reading form the posts it seems that cambodia, laos, vietnam, myanmar and others are sooo interesting places to visit. glad that i found this website. super thanks

cheers!

#4 Posted: 28/11/2009 - 06:35

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Yah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unless you're prepared to spend big bucks it's not going to work out.

From Singapore you could easily go to any of these places for a couple days:

By land: Melaka (historical city in Malaysia)
    Kualua Lumpur (Malaysian capital)

Boat trip:
    Batam or Bintan islands (Indonesia)

Budget flights may not be that cheap cuz of the holiday (it's a public holiday in Singapore), but you might be able to still get a good deal to these places with frequent flights:

Kuching (small city in Borneo, near some good national parks & orangutan sanctuary)
    Kota Kinabalu (another city on Borneo, parks & islands)
    Jakarta (capital of Indonesia) or Yogyajarta (cultural centre of Indo.)
    Medan or Pekanbaru (Sumatra, Indonesia)

#5 Posted: 28/11/2009 - 15:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.