Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Daily Cost of BKK to Siem Reap

Posted by BretW on 30/11/2009 at 07:05

I am leaving from Chicago in the States and want to know whether I should fly directly into Siem Reap, (which is a couple of hundred dollars more expensive) or arrive in Bangkok and go overland to Siem Reap. So what is the cost in both US Dollars and days in traveling overland from Bangkok to Siem Reap? I understand that there are a variety of options to traveling the route, but I am looking for a generalization. The trip will be five weeks throughout Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos. Thanks in advance.

#1 BretW has been a member since 30/11/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by mattocmd on 30/11/2009 at 09:02

Without a doubt, it's much better to fly into Bangkok and go overland. I'm not going to try to determine the price of going overland, but it's certainly less than the couple of hundred you'll spend flying into Siem Reap.

#2 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365

Posted by PDX2BKK on 30/11/2009 at 11:11

Hello!
I arrived in Siem Reap from Bangkok last week, my friends and I crossed over land in a charter mini bus and it was a breeze. The ticket price was 700 baht, roughly 20 dollars, but I'm sure it can be done for even cheaper if you shop around. After crossing the border, I would recommend hiring a taxi to take you to Siem Reap as the alternative is waiting for the public bus in poipet for up to three hours. The taxi driver might try to take you to his cousin's hotel, just insist that you already have accomodations and that you know where you are going. Safe travels!

#3 PDX2BKK has been a member since 27/9/2009. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.