Southeast Asia forum

6 country trip! Experienced traveller advice needed!

• sl

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2009

Hey everyone! Love this website been looking through some of the forums. I just recently purchased my plane tickets and will be visiting the 6 following countries from March 3 to June 2: Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, China, Jordan and Egypt (in that order).

I am starting to plan out a bit of an itinerary for this trip and since I know you guys are experienced travellers, I would love your input!

Itinerary:

1)Fly into Bangkok.
    2)Take a flight from BKK to Koh Samui where I would explore Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.
    3)Fly back into BKK from Koh Samui.
    4)From Bangkok, I would travel up through Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai.
    5)From Chiang Mai, I take the bus to Chiang Khong and then cross the border into Laos. I am debating stopping by Chiang Rai on the way, would it merit an extra stop according to you guys, or should I go straight to Chiang Khong from Chiang Mai??
    6)Take the slow boat from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang through Pakbeng.
    7)Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng.
    8)Vang Vieng - Vientiane .
    9)From Vientiane I will either fly or take the bus to Hanoi , what do you suggest? (I know that the bus is apparently terrible, but I'm still debating it).
    10)In Vietnam I am just planning on spending a few days around Hanoi and Halong Bay and then bussing or taking the train to Nanning, China. Would you suggest I spend more time in Vietnam? I don't want to travel southward there because I just don't have the time if I want to get to China, Jordan and Egypt.

If you guys know of any sidetrips or worthy stops on the way during my itinerary, let's hear em'! Or if you think I should change something about it. I appreciate all your help you guys are awesome!

#1 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 06:01

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yup I'd break the trip in Chiang Rai.

For Vientiane to hanoi it is a hard call -- it the best part of a day and a half by bus or an hour on a plane. Depends on your budget and time constraints really. But if you're not planning on breaking up the journey, and can afford the flight, I'd fly.

More time in Vietnam -- well why not? ;-) As you;'re in the region, Sapa or Mai Chau would be obvious additions.

How long are you planning on spending from arrival in Thailand till departure to China?

#2 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 11:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
advice from experienced travellers for 3.5week-itinerary needed ... By SebastianX on 5 Sep 2011 6 2339 10 Sep 2011
Solo traveller in Thailand, end of March!! Advice needed! ... By Talv on 13 Jan 2014 5 922 14 Jan 2014
Trip Advice Needed ... By famous29 on 22 Feb 2012 3 1622 13 Mar 2012
Advice needed on SE Asia trip ... By Decoy on 8 Aug 2012 6 2577 6 Feb 2013
Trip planning advice needed ... By simonmobiledisco on 16 Jan 2009 10 2665 19 Jan 2009
4 Month Trip..Advice Needed ... By AdamCarter on 4 May 2012 2 2477 6 May 2012
Last minute advice for trip needed ... By travelinchen on 19 Jul 2011 14 2952 23 Jul 2011
Hello! Advice needed :) 3 month trip. ... By 2Peas on 12 Jan 2013 6 1433 21 Jan 2013
Vietnam / Thailand itinerary - seeking advice from experienced travellers ... By prankmonkey on 9 Feb 2010 4 2358 12 Feb 2010
3-4 week trip - first timer advice needed! ... By Katie2952 on 10 Mar 2014 5 1488 21 Apr 2014