Southeast Asia forum

Planning stage - please help with a few questions

• joanne1981

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2009

Hi, I have been using the site lots over the last couple of months and found all the information so valuable in helping me to plan my trip next year. I was originally planning a 3 month trip but due to circumstances I can now only go for 4 weeks.

I know the general rule is to not try and cram too much in and to enjoy a place and I have tried to do that as best as I can. I have already compromised Thailand and Malaysia so I really hope what I have planned is possible. If anyone can give me a few tips and suggestions it would be much appreciated. The itinerary I have planned so far is as follows:

Fly into Siem Riep Via bkk (4 nights)
    bus to Phnom Penh (2 nights)
    bus to HCMC (2 nights)
    fly to Phu Quoc (4 nights)
    Fly back to HCMC and then up to Hanoi (4nights - including Halong Bay)
    Fly to Luang Prabang (4 nights)
    bus to Vang Vieng (2 nights)
    bus to Vientiane (2 nights)
    fly to BKK (2 nights)

Does anyone suggest somewhere we should stop instead or anything I should cut out? I still have 2 nights to play with so could extend time somewhere if it was needed? Was also thinking we should do the Mekong on the way to Phu Quoc? Or should this be saved for another trip?
    Lastly, (sorry for all the questions) would anyone suggest an alternative beach in any of the areas we are visiting? I wanted to visit somewhere a bit different and less touristic than your usual Thai beaches.
    Thanks in advance to everyone that helps me out on this one - it is much appreciated.
    Joanne

#1 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 04:50

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Looks doable -- what time of the year would this trip be? If you had two more days I'd give them to Hanoi as of the places you are going, it has just about the most to see.

#2 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 10:37

• joanne1981

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2009

Okay,I have finally got my flights booked into BKK. We have decided to travel over Christmas and New Year which means I will have to book my internal flights and most of my accomodation in advance. I have been looking at internal flights and they are quite pricey so i am trying to keep costs down and trying to fly with Air Asia as much as I can.

I have come up with the following itinerary and would really appreciate any suggestions/tips. I realise we are trying to pack a lot in but I really do want to get a taster of the region as this may be my last opportunity to travel there for a long time. I do like to be on the go when travelling and have saved lots of time for relaxation towards the end of the trip.

03 Dec - depart LON, arrive in to BKK on the 4th at 1545. We will overnight at the airport and take early morning flight to Hanoi with Air Asia.
    04 Dec - 08 Dec - Hanoi/Halong Bay. We will fly to Luang Prabang early eve.
    08 Dec - 11 Dec - 3 nights and 2 fully days before setting off on bus to Vieng Vang.
    11 Dec- 13 dec - 2 nights and 1 full day before setting off on bus to Vientiane.
    13-16 Vietiane - 3 nights and 2 full days, take morning flight to Siem Reap
    16- 19th Dec - 3 nights and 2 full days temples and bus it to PP.
    19-21st - PP - 2 nights and 1 full day and bus to HCMC
    21-23rd - HCMC, take eve flight to Phuket where we will overnight.
    24th Dec - Make way to Koh Lanta and wherever else we fancy to chill for 6 nights.
    30th Dec - fly to BKK from Krabi and spend last 3 nights
    02 january - Fly back to London.

Looking at the itinerary it does look a lot but I am finding it really hard to cut it down. I don't know if I should forget beach at end to give more time for rest of trip but do want a bit of beach in there (close to BKK) and I definitely want to visit Laos. Maybe I should cut out Vietnam for another trip??

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Joanne

#3 Posted: 28/2/2010 - 23:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Quick Pre Planning Questions ... By olibigoli on 29 Oct 2010 6 1548 4 Nov 2010
Planning a trip to SEA and have some questions ... By Solius on 8 Mar 2013 10 1593 21 Mar 2013