Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Mekong Going to Heck in a Handbasket

Posted by somsai on 19/12/2009 at 08:14

Sounds like the reporting is from the Golden Triangle on the Thai side, also Laos down by Khone falls, and the delta in Vietnam, with a phone call to Milton Osborne thrown in to add authenticity. Hope the link works.

By Thomas Fuller NYT December 09

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/18/world/asia/18mekong.html

My only quible.

>>The cargo +(boats)+ passes through increasingly populated areas, erstwhile sleepy cities in Laos that are now teeming with tourists and defying the economic downturn with swinging construction cranes

Don't know about which cities the Chinese cargo boats pass by, don't they go from Sop Ruak up to Jihong? Maybe Xiengkok during that market day I've never seen.

Good photos too, worth clicking on the link.

#1 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 567

Posted by MADMAC on 21/12/2009 at 00:35

The warter level still depends on the seasons. I watch it rise and fall with the rain from my living room window. While certainly the dams are a concern, many environmentalists overstate their case - I guess they feel they have to or no one will listen.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.