Southeast Asia forum

Travelling South East Asia with a 4mth old Baby?

• Violett23

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2010

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to gather anyone's thoughts on traveling with a baby. We are planning to do most of the major tourist places in central and southern vietnam, cambodia and laos over a period of about 6 weeks. We will be heading off in November and will hopefully have a healthy 4 mth old to tote along with us (my husband and I).

We plan to have a daily budget of $100 AUD. Obviously, with the baby we would prefer to take a more flashpacker approach.

We would like to travel some legs overland and are prepared to fly some of the longer ones (we have extra money for this)

We don't really plan on doing a lot of shopping, but would like to do a few tours and some other touristy things.

So, Just interested in any thoughts or advice for traveling with the bub? If our daily budget sounds realistic? and any suggestions for legs that would be best to travel overland??

Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 17/1/2010 - 16:43

• Advertisement

• Jeffreyjho

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2010

Bus travel in northern Laos (Luang Prabang, Vientiane, Vang Vien) is very slow and uncomfortable. Your baby will not enjoy it. Plan to fly in and out of these destinations if you can.

#2 Posted: 17/4/2010 - 22:16

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Violett
    I don't want this to sound wrong - but I have a three year old myself and brought her to Thailand when she was nine months old. We arrived in Bangkok, spent two days recovering from the flight, then drove via rental car to Yaso, my wife's home province. This was extremely stressful. Little children generally require a lot of time and care, they are not easy to travel with. If they get sick (which they do often), you will want to ensure you can acquire quality health care quickly. They are fragile and helpless at that age. Everyone here will love the child and want to touch it and poke it and so forth - which is sweet, but is also a vector for bacteria. Laos and Cambodia are developing countries, and the quality of hygiene is not always the best. Frankly, I would not take an infant on a tour running from place to place around this area. I love it here, and I love the people - so don't get me wrong. But infants are delicate things and when you first become a parent, your instinct (quite rightly placed) is to protect them. I live here, and I would not do what you are proposing. Small children with developed immune systems are a little different. But infants... different kettle of fish.

#3 Posted: 19/4/2010 - 01:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travelling South East Asia in September ... By Eldwyer90 on 23 May 2013 3 3574 12 Jun 2013
Travelling South East Asia in August, September and start of October ... By bryliesmiley on 6 Mar 2012 0 3289 6 Mar 2012
Travelling south east asia July 2013 (Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia) ... By michelled on 9 Jun 2013 3 1121 10 Jun 2013
irish girl living in london travelling South East Asia Jan- April 2011 ... By soloirish on 26 Jul 2010 18 4889 18 Feb 2011
South East Asia - Dec & Jan ... By Greatlookinguy on 3 Nov 2012 5 1307 11 Nov 2012
4 Minutes In South East Asia ... By worldlynomads on 9 Sep 2012 0 2245 9 Sep 2012
Dressing in South-East Asia ... By flipflip on 20 Mar 2011 2 4944 20 Mar 2011
Working in South East Asia ... By sarah7196 on 14 Apr 2011 12 3886 15 Apr 2011
July in South East Asia! ... By Goodmango on 17 Apr 2012 11 4947 2 Dec 2012
South east asia travel ... By journeyingasia on 7 Mar 2012 2 2175 9 Mar 2012