Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Family accommodation

Posted by deborahkytic on 7/3/2010 at 11:01

We are a family of 5 - two adults and three small children. Does anyone have recommendations of good places to stay that don't cost a fortune because you are forced to get ajoining rooms. In Europe it is is easy with lots of small apartment hotels which can easily accommodate five - what is the Asian equivilant? Seems most places insist on at least two rooms and no self contained faciltiies - we don't want kids club resorts but authentic places where our whole family is welcome.

#1 deborahkytic has been a member since 7/3/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/3/2010 at 08:39 admin

There isn't really an Asian equivelant to what you're describing. I can count the places I've seen with a kitchenette on probably two hands and one foot. Generally you'll be looking for what are referred to as "Family rooms". On the beach these may be an extra sized bungalow, or a bungalow with two rooms, while for hotel/guesthouse style rooms it will be a single rooms with three or four beds in it.

If you're kids are comfortable in the one bed, getting a double room in Chinese style hotels will generally get you two massive double beds -- that can sometimes work.

Hope that helps!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by MADMAC on 10/3/2010 at 10:38

I've seen self contained suites in Bangkok - but they're pricey.

Even normal apartments here (the authentic ones that locals tend to stay in) have no kitchens. People cook on small cook stoves and wash plates and silverware in the bathroom sink.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.