Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Best island/location for surfing? any ideas?

• Tomhamish

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2010

Hello

im heading to Thailand and Vietnam in july and then hopefully on to indonesia late july early august for a week.

all i really want to do is relax in one place and get some decent kite-surfing and surfing in and chill on a beach!

just wondering if anyone knows which island and location is best for this? or any decent budget hostels in the right locations?

if someone has some first had knowledge it would be great to hear from you!!

many thanks

Tom

#1 Posted: 19/4/2010 - 23:51

• Advertisement

• kungltg

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2009
    Location United States

Try checking out Global Surfers. Couple friends went on a SEA surfing trip and used it to plan it out. It has reviews as well as a surf forecast. From what they told me it's really a hit or miss but when the surf is up it was one of their favorite places they've surfed..Little to no crowds much of the time.

Vietnam: http://www.globalsurfers.com/country_details.cfm?land=Vietnam

Thailand: http://www.globalsurfers.com/country_details.cfm?land=Thailand

Cheers

#2 Posted: 20/4/2010 - 00:10

• Tomhamish

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2010

sorry i wasn't very clear! i meant just surfing in Indonesia for a week...
    but i will check out the website! thanks alot

#3 Posted: 20/4/2010 - 00:26

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'm not a surfer, but I know that most people head to Bali. There is also a small island just off of Bali called Nusa Lembongan that attracts a fair few surfers. It's a lovely quiet island without all the crazy hustle and bustle of Bali.

It's also an ideal place to learn to ride a motorbike as there are virtually no cars, and a relatively small number of bikes. Lots of places to go exploring on motorbike or bicycle. You can also ride the bike across the suspension bridge to Nusa Cenginan.

I found the people here incredibly friendly. There are a quite a few guesthouses and restaurants along the main beach in Jungutbatu, and further along in Mushroom Bay. I stayed at the Secret Garden guesthouse in Jungutbatu - highly recommended.

If you are looking for somewhere quiet then this would be a good place to go. You need to check out the suitability for surfing - as I said, I'm not a surfer, but saw a few people coming over with boards.

#4 Posted: 20/4/2010 - 03:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ideas for a birthday island? ... By wemaybesometime on 14 Mar 2007 1 1265 18 Mar 2007