admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes I know, we said it would never happen. But as someone famous once said, never say never.

Partly as a result of the ongoing political dramas in Thailand we're going to start adding coverage to parts of Indonesia to Travelfish.

Given there's 17,000 islands and we've still got quite a bit of work cut out on our Malaysia section, we're not promising comprehensive coverage anytime soon, but we will be trying to cherry pick some of the destinations you'll more likely be heading to.

We'll be starting with some central Java and Bali coverage, but we'll look to add destinations as we can.

Now a call out to the Travelfish community -- and the greater travel-blogging community at large -- if you're travelling in Indonesia, can write, are reliable, are slightly batty and would like to earn some money to keep you travelling, get in touch.

We're not looking for professional travel writers as we don't pay top Rupiah, but rather people who Love To Travel and would like to have an opportunity to prolong their travels in Indonesia. You can see general information regarding working with us here http://www.travelfish.org/jobs.php

If you're interested or have any questions please either comment below or drop me a line at stuartmcdonald@travelfish.org

Cheers

#1 Posted: 24/4/2010 - 07:54

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

That's great news. My wife and I are certainly starting to look at Indonesia more closely for diving snorkelling etc so any info is going to be a bonus
    cheers

#2 Posted: 24/4/2010 - 08:15

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Oh, you don't know how tempting that is!!

Alas, it won't be me - but big cheers to you for getting it under way! Maybe I can volunteer to be the first to put the new guide into use, instead?

Awesome stuff, Somtam...

#3 Posted: 24/4/2010 - 11:38

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

It's been a decade since I visited, but Indonesia was a seriously good time. There's great food, fascinating culture, excellent quality and variety of handicrafts, and probably the best value for money from any of my travels.

I wish I could help research too, but until that happens, I'd be particularly interested in learning if the backpacker area of Jakarta centered around Jalan Jaksa is still humming as well as what's the latest on Bali and Lombok.

Best wishes with the new effort. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 24/4/2010 - 23:41

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

About time Somtam!!! ;-)

It's a few years since I was in Jalan Jaksa too exacto, but I wouldn't have described it as "humming" last time I was there! The road was totally deserted apart from a few degenerate expats on the piss ... at 9am in the morning. Mind you, it was the first day of Ramadan and tourist numbers were still down then because of the Bali bombings.

Things have changed since then. These last couple of years have seen a definite increase in the number of tourists to Indonesia. Prices have risen a lot too!

#5 Posted: 25/4/2010 - 15:20

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Anything on my site you think may be useful you are welcome to Stewart - no payment except maybe that beer if we ever meet up.

#6 Posted: 26/4/2010 - 17:55

• divejunkie

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

This is a good news!

Cheers,

#7 Posted: 19/6/2010 - 23:17

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

As a Dutch-Indonesian, I'm also very happy about this.

#8 Posted: 20/6/2010 - 00:25

• travelkat88

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

What a great idea. There are bound to be loads of Bali lovers who could help out with such a forum. I've been there a few times, but tend to wander off to other parts of asia too often to become an "expert" on any particular destination - rather just have scraps of info and tips for various places.

Travel is so addictive.

Travelkat

#9 Posted: 20/6/2010 - 14:56

• laverysean

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2013

Indonesia......ah, Indonesia:)

I'm traveling to Lombok next week to climb Rinjani, then down to Gerupuk for a week before hitting Nusa Penida in search of the fabled Bali Mynah bird and some camping at Crystal Bay.

Before I have even left home, I'm planning the next one....

Indonesia; endless possibilities on any budget.

Sean

#10 Posted: 16/6/2013 - 22:52

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.