Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

from Hanoi to Bali

• alekk

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2010

Dear All,

I will spend a 2 months in Hanoi this summer, but I would also love to visit Bali (or any other Island in the neighbourhood) - unfortunately, a quick search reveals that the plane tickets from Hanoi to Bali are extremely high in July (~1000eur/2people/2ways).

Any experienced expat with suggestions on how to get from Hanoi to Bali - I don't mind staying a few days in Singapore, Thailand, or anywhere ... if it is on the way

Thank you very much!
    Alekk

#1 Posted: 15/6/2010 - 06:54

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I did the reverse cheaply at the end of last year by doing the following:

- Flew from Bali to Singapore on a cheap Air Asia flight.
    - Bussed from Singapore to KL. (I actually detoured via bus to Melaka and stayed there for a few days, and then bussed to KL, but you could bus direct from Singapore to KL - maybe 4-6 hours?
    - Flew from KL to Hanoi on another cheap Air Asia flight.

This suited me as I was happy to do some sight-seeing in Malaysia on my way through, and I wasn't in a hurry.

Sorry, I can't remember how much I spent on the Air Asia flights but I got them when the cheapie deals were being promoted. I think the Singapore to Melaka bus was SGD$25 and it would be similar from Singapore to KL.

#2 Posted: 15/6/2010 - 08:04

• alekk

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2010

thanks - sounds great!
    Is Hanoi -> KL much cheaper than Hanoi->Singapore ? I am quite surprised actually?

#3 Posted: 16/6/2010 - 05:53

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Air Asia don't (or didn't at the time) fly from Singapore to Hanoi, hence the decision to fly out of KL.

I think I looked at flights out of Singapore, but AA were discounting the KL-Hanoi ones at the time. So I saw it as a low-stress, low-cost opportunity to revisit the southern end of Malaysia at the same time.

#4 Posted: 16/6/2010 - 07:24

• 40PlusTrave-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010
    Location Australia

Tiger airlines fly from Singapore to Hanoi. Should be able to pick those flights up for $20 - $50 each

#5 Posted: 3/10/2010 - 21:14

• 40PlusTrave-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010
    Location Australia

Actually, so does Jetstar (vietnam). bit more expensive upfront, but some luggage included

#6 Posted: 3/10/2010 - 21:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.