Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

from Hanoi to Bali

Posted by alekk on 15/6/2010 at 06:54

Dear All,

I will spend a 2 months in Hanoi this summer, but I would also love to visit Bali (or any other Island in the neighbourhood) - unfortunately, a quick search reveals that the plane tickets from Hanoi to Bali are extremely high in July (~1000eur/2people/2ways).

Any experienced expat with suggestions on how to get from Hanoi to Bali - I don't mind staying a few days in Singapore, Thailand, or anywhere ... if it is on the way

Thank you very much!
Alekk

#1 alekk has been a member since 15/6/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 15/6/2010 at 08:04

I did the reverse cheaply at the end of last year by doing the following:

- Flew from Bali to Singapore on a cheap Air Asia flight.
- Bussed from Singapore to KL. (I actually detoured via bus to Melaka and stayed there for a few days, and then bussed to KL, but you could bus direct from Singapore to KL - maybe 4-6 hours?
- Flew from KL to Hanoi on another cheap Air Asia flight.

This suited me as I was happy to do some sight-seeing in Malaysia on my way through, and I wasn't in a hurry.

Sorry, I can't remember how much I spent on the Air Asia flights but I got them when the cheapie deals were being promoted. I think the Singapore to Melaka bus was SGD$25 and it would be similar from Singapore to KL.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by alekk on 16/6/2010 at 05:53

thanks - sounds great!
Is Hanoi -> KL much cheaper than Hanoi->Singapore ? I am quite surprised actually?

#3 alekk has been a member since 15/6/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 16/6/2010 at 07:24

Air Asia don't (or didn't at the time) fly from Singapore to Hanoi, hence the decision to fly out of KL.

I think I looked at flights out of Singapore, but AA were discounting the KL-Hanoi ones at the time. So I saw it as a low-stress, low-cost opportunity to revisit the southern end of Malaysia at the same time.

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by 40PlusTraveler on 3/10/2010 at 21:14

Tiger airlines fly from Singapore to Hanoi. Should be able to pick those flights up for $20 - $50 each

#5 40PlusTraveler has been a member since 29/9/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 8
 Website 

Posted by 40PlusTraveler on 3/10/2010 at 21:15

Actually, so does Jetstar (vietnam). bit more expensive upfront, but some luggage included

#6 40PlusTraveler has been a member since 29/9/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 8
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.