Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Diving in Indonesia

• bradmcfc81

Click here to learn more about bradmcfc81
    Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Can anybody recommend any quality places to dive in Indonesia? My girlfriend and i are heading there in October, on our trip round South-East Asia.

#1 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 21:31

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Depends a bit on your budget and how much time you have.

Manado is easy to get to and the diving around there is world class. The beaches aren't that great on Bunaken but the diving is excellent.

There's also muck diving in the Lambeh strait if that's your thing...lots of very strange critters apparently.

There's good diving in the Togians too ...not quite as good as Bunaken but the scenery above water is very beautiful.

The Bandas don't have many diving operators but you don't need to dive there anyway... you'll see plenty snorkelling, lots of big stuff ... even the parrot fish are huge there. Sharks zipping round your ankles when you wade in the rock pools at low tide. It's logistically harder to get here though and there's not much tourist infrastructure.... mostly homestays with the (muslim) locals.

Komodo is another great place for diving... manta rays and such like.

The holy grail would be Raja Ampat... but you need to be seriously rich to go there!

#2 Posted: 29/7/2010 - 01:55

• bradmcfc81

Click here to learn more about bradmcfc81
    Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for your input SBE, much appreciated! I've done my Open Water and Advanced Open water, but have never dived in SE Asia. We should be in Indonesia for a couple of months, so that will give me enough time to decide where to dive and our budget shouldn't restrict us too much with regards to what we can and can't do.

I'll definitely be looking into your suggestions more over the next couple of weeks.

#3 Posted: 29/7/2010 - 04:27

• divejunkie

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Hi,

Komodo is easier to reach and cheaper than Raja Ampat. If you go to Komodo, I suggest you to do liveaboard from Labuan Bajo. But if you have time and budget, it would be great if you can go to Raja Ampat, above and underwater are fantastic!

Happy diving!

Cheers,

#4 Posted: 28/8/2010 - 20:13

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

Gili Islands are a good option as well, easy to get to from Bali if your time is tight, nice diving, some currents, decent muck diving as well as some larger pelagics. It's nothing like the diving around Bunaken or Lembeh Strait from my understanding but we enjoyed it immensely.

#5 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 01:37

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We just returned from a three-day beak out at Pemuteran in West Bali. From there we did a snoreklling trip out to Menjangan Island. We snorkelled two spots, the "Dropoff" (a 40 metre, well, drop off) and the Coral Garden. The former was the best snorkelling I have ever seen -- far better than Fiji for example, and miles ahead of anything in Thailand. You can also dive there, which must be amazing. You can see some pics of the location here.

As far as diving further afield, from friends who run dive liveaboards here on Bali, Komodo is where it is at. Raja Ampat may be more exotic and sexy, but, according to these guys (who make far more dosh if you go to RA), Komodo is the business.

#6 Posted: 23/11/2010 - 12:07

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

I second the comments about Menjangan. Absolutely stunning. I'm so surprised it's not hyped up more in the guide books and spoken about more frequently among travellers.

#7 Posted: 23/11/2010 - 16:41

• john_f

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2010

I've dived in Ambon and Alor, both of which are good, although this was a long time ago so I don't know if they've changed. I think there's good diving in most parts of Indonesia.

#8 Posted: 23/11/2010 - 17:03

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Good stuff Somtam. I was keen to explore west Bali the next time I'm there (this time next year) so will add this to 'my list'. Sounds like it's Bali's best kept little secret - although not for long now, I guess!

#9 Posted: 24/11/2010 - 02:32

• divejunkie

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

I dived in Alor 2 years ago, sadly not many fishes there... dunno because of over fishing or we came at the wrong seasons. But I wanna back to Alor again, maybe after Ambon & Wakatobi.

#10 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 23:34

• Advertisement

• aquaticandy

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011
    Total reviews: 4

Diving around Nusa Penida off Bali is SUPERB!!! I saw a 4m mola mola fish at Blue Corner divesite yesterday!! Base yourself on Nusa Lembongan island rather than out of Bali -- soooooo much more relaxing, and the island has a chill vibe to it.

Blue Corner Dive is at the end of the main village on the beach looking out to Shipwrecks surf break. It's owned by marine biologists and they exceeded all expectations!!

#11 Posted: 19/9/2011 - 10:31

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

Nusa Penida/lembongan off the coast of Bali has some nice diving as well. Mantas, nice coral & if you are lucky like I was you can see a Mola Mola.

#12 Posted: 19/9/2011 - 13:28

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

God, should I go to Raja Ampat now or not. I've only booked flights as far as Makassar so far. RA is bloody expensive even if you're doing it on a budget. It costs $50/night to sleep on a mattress in a basic homestay but it's the $800 boat charters that are the real killers.

I don't suppose anyone knows what the snorkeling is like around Halmahera?

#13 Posted: 19/9/2011 - 18:29

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I stayed in Pemuteran for 9 days this past March (2011). The diving is excellent. It is slightly more expensive than the rest of Bali but worth the extra few bucks. You get to pay a boat "parking" fee on top of a few extras. You'll be in a national park and on a clear day you can see Java. The island itself isn't as picturesque as its' surroundings - lots of trash.
    The Drop and Coral Gardens were great. I also recommend a night dive as well - did this off the beach.
    And if you're on a budget there are a few homestays around and all of the more inexpensive places are across the street.

#14 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 10:24

• shing

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2011

wouldnt october be near the start of monsoon?

#15 Posted: 24/9/2011 - 16:54

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

No, weather is usually good in October. Monsoon doesn't really hit till late November, early December usually..

#16 Posted: 24/9/2011 - 17:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.