Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Bali for Xmas

• ashiecurlz01

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2010

Hi me and my boyfriend have booked Bali for Xmas time from 23rd to 28th December. Just wondering if anyone has experienced Bali for Xmas? What did you get up to? Do they celebrate it like England? Any recommended activites or places to go on the day? We are staying in Sanur so plan to get up to see the sunrise. Any suggestions please

#1 Posted: 18/8/2010 - 22:25

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I suspect our own Bali-based Somtam is the best person to answer this question. Even so, I imagine Christmas in Bali will be just like Christmas in the UK, except that Bali is Hindu and in the tropics.

I've spent lots of holidays like Christmas or Thanksgiving overseas. There are usually enough western folks in any given place that at least one restaurant or hotel puts on some kind of special bash for a given holiday. I'd be surprised if there aren't lots of such options in Bali.

If that doesn't work out, maybe Somtam will invite you over. He still owes me a beer and a T-shirt. Happy Christmas!

#2 Posted: 19/8/2010 - 03:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry missed this one.

Bali is predominately Hindu, so most celebrations for Xmas are aimed at catering to foreigners.

We've had two Christmas's in Sanur (where we live). On both occassion, we've got together with a few friends (who also have young kids) and we've headed to one of the bigger hotels for a Christmas buffet style deal. Cost is pretty reasonable (think Bali Hyatt was around 300,000 per head, though not sure) and you get a massive Xmas spread, plus use of the hotel facilities (gardens and pool - ideal for nutty young kids).

It that isn't your kettle of fish some of the beachside bars and restaurants will have similar stuff going on, most likely at a reduced cost.

Sanur goes to bed early, so come the evening they'll be fireworks, but that is about it.

Most everything will be open and as you're arriving a few days beforehand, check out what the hotels have going. Also grab a copy of the Bali Advertiser (the local classifieds rag) as it will have details on a lot of deals and packages.

Where in Sanur you staying?

@exacto -- I've got a Bintang and a tshirt here waiting for you to pick it up :)

#3 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 08:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.