Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Raja Ampat liveaboard trip

• kennyfinest

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2010
    Location Global Village

Hi,
    ive been looking at diving in indonesia for a few weeks as im trying to plan a big trip that ive been saving for a long time.
    I started looking at the cheaper liveaboard options around komodo but reading things online and a hunger for the better experience has led me to nearly booking a trip in raja ampat thats gonna cost over £2000!
    I know its an experience of a lifetime but im no rich man and its one hell of a chunk of my travelling funds, i really cant make my mind up what to do.
    Im going to be flying in jakarta the 14th of december and leave for nz early january. Can anyone recommend any cheaper liveaboard trips in indonesia that will still be good this time of year and hopefully not as expensive (i think the visibility in the raja ampat region is still really good this time of year)?

#1 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 03:37

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I can't help you out with specifics, but only want to say that, where ever you end up, you might want to check out the reputation of the boat/company carefully! It might be a case of 'you get what you pay for'.

I picked up this article on an RSS feed today: Tourist boat capsizes near Komodo Island.

Using google, I couldn't find any other references to the story though. However, there is another TF poster that was on a boat that sunk in the Komodo area.

#2 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 05:05

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi have a look at http://divehappy.com/ this is a pretty comprehensive site for s.e. asia. Plenty of info on liveaboards and trip reports. This should be able to answer a lot of your questions.
    cheers

#3 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 06:10

• divejunkie

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Hi,

I love both Komodo and Raja Ampat. Komodo is easier to reach and much cheaper compare to Raja Ampat. I always dive with Grand Komodo, http://www.komodoalordive.com/aboutus.htm
    Local boat operator, but very good one, much cheaper compare to other LOBs. They based in Bali. Just email them, maybe they have special price. In Raja Ampat, if you can't do LOB, they have a decent resort. I wish I can join you!

Happy diving!
    Adri

p.s. Don't forget to bring your underwater camera!

#4 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 23:20

• selenacobrin

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2014

Hi all

Last time i had visited indonesia with my friends, really that is very nice place, thank you for wonderful trip provide by http://www.diveadventuresasia.com/

#5 Posted: 18/9/2014 - 04:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Raja Ampat - Piaynemo Island Trip ... By alaBackpackerR4 on 3 Oct 2014 0 195 3 Oct 2014
Raja Ampat on a budget? ... By Tokaymas on 21 Dec 2012 2 2031 30 Jul 2014
Similan Islands Liveaboard Trip Report ... By swag on 19 Nov 2009 9 4172 17 Jan 2010