Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Indonesia in 4 weeks

• travelback2-
    basics

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2010

hi there

We've got only 4 weeks in Indonesia left and try to figure out where we want to go.

We will come from Penang (Malaysia) and will cross the border to Medan (Sumatra). We are really keen to go snorkeling in the north of Sumatra (Pulau Weh). After that we love to see active vulcanoes and would love to catch a surf somewhere, where it's not too crowded and where it's not too difficult for beginners.

So for now, we are thinking of going for a surf to the Nia Island (Sumatra) and after that from Panang to Yogyakarta to have an cultural intermezzo and then to Bali, maybe even to Lombok.

Do you guys know other places, we should not miss?

Our flight out of Indo will be in Bali....

Have you heard about Nusa Lembongan? It's apperently not so crowded like Bali and would be also a nice place to stay too....oooh and what about flores, is this nice tooo?

it's sooooo hard to decide!!!!!
    Thanks for your help!

#1 Posted: 18/9/2010 - 10:01

• Advertisement

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Indonesia is vast and diverse--I would highly recommend sticking to two neighboring islands, three at the absolute most, and, of course, you will have to fly, island to island. My family and experience are in Western Indonesia, so I usually recommend Sumatra (Lake Toba, orangutan preserve), Middle Java (Yogyakarta, Surakarta, Borobudur and Prambanan, etc.), and Ubud, Bali, but your tastes sound more active than my own. Hopefully others will chime in.

#2 Posted: 18/9/2010 - 10:20

• travelback2-
    basics

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2010

hey glomer
    thanks for your reply.

Indonesia ist just too big. we still don't know, where we want to go....

Today I found out, that the flight to Sumatra are really cheap but travelling in Sumatra will be more difficult as I expected. Now we are thinking of taking a flight from KL to Jakarta and going from there down to middle Java and then to Bali and maybe Lombok.

The orang-utan center would be really nice to visit, but after a few hours in the net and after your message I realized, that I have to take more and more flights going down to Java, Lombok, Flores, etc. especially when I would start from the North of Sumatra....

Apparently the buses in Sumatra are not so comfy as in other SEA-countries.

Thanks anyway!

#3 Posted: 18/9/2010 - 14:22

• divejunkie

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Hi,

Take morning train from Jakarta to Jogjakarta. After Jogja, you can go to Dieng Plateau by bus, near Wonosobo. Stay in Dieng not Wonosobo, so you can catch the sunrise. Wonosobo is a city! Lots of homestay in Dieng, very basic but the one I stayed was clean compare to the famous Bu Jono. From Dieng you can continue to Bromo, near Probolinggo. Again, stay at Bromo, not Probolinggo. Lots of homestay in Cemara Lawang (Bromo), more beautiful view and convenient to catch the Sunrise in Pananjakan. Lots of tourist bus from Bromo to Kawah Ijen and Bali. I never go to Kawah Ijen (not yet). Last time, on our way from Bromo to Bali, we stop at Baluran National Park near Banyuwangi, so peaceful and beautiful! Stay at the villa in front of the beach. Enjoy the quiet moment before you arrive Bali. From Banyuwangi you can take ferry to Bali.

In Bali, if you wanna do snorkeling and not to many people, go to Menjangan Island or Amed. Tulamben is also nice, but lots of daytrip divers from Sanur.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

#4 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 23:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.