Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Any info on Pulau Weh Island aka Sabang, Indonesia??

• katbone

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2010

My husband and I are travelling to SE Asia next March. Originally we were going to explore the Thai Islands but after reading about how most of them are quite touristy and overcrowded we are thinking about opting for Sabang also known as Weh Island which is just off Banda Aceh, Indonesia.

We have heard this is much less developed and has deserted beaches, and more like how the Thai islands were 20 years ago. Sounds much more what we had in mind. However we can't find any up to date info on it and don't want to make a special trip there if this isnt the case.

Has anyone been recently? ideally we are looking for somewhere just to spend a week chilling and snorkeling in a beachfront hut, without a load of other tourists.
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 23:57

• Advertisement

• divejunkie

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Hi,

I went there for diving with Lumba-lumbah, but that was 3 years ago :-) Stayed in Gapang beach. Beach was beautiful, but the homestay was really bad. But now Lumba lumbah has their own accommodation and look nice. Alternatively you can go to the Iboih beach. Don't stay in Sabang. You can check the link below to find some info, hope it helps.

http://www.lumbalumba.com/

http://rubiahdivers.com/accommodation/iboih-beach

Cheers,

#2 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 18:03

• katbone

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2010

Thanks for the info,
    Have you been to any of the Thai Islands? If so how does it compare? We dont have much time (only about a week) so need to choose between Pulau Weh and one of the Thai Islands, maybe Ko Ngai or Ko Kradan which I have heard aren't as crammed with people.

Obviously the Thai Islands are busy for a reason and as much as we would like to go somewhere less developed we don't want to miss out on seeing the more spectacular islands just because we want to get away from all the tourists!

Hope this makes sense, any tips or info anyone has would be great.
    Thanks

#3 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 18:36

• divejunkie

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Hi, I never been to Thai islands, not yet ^^
    Have you been to Gili Trawangan in Lombok? Well, Pulau We is less less crowded compare to Gili Trawangan. I wanna back to Pulau We!

#4 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 18:30

• katbone

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2010

Yes we were considering the Gili's but they do look crowded, did you visit Pulau We recently?

#5 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 18:49

• divejunkie

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

nope

#6 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 19:02

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

There's the rub: everyone wants their own slice of paradise but resents everyone else having it as well!

I went to Weh two years ago and really liked it. The beaches were nice (not as "spectacular" as Southern Thailand, but nice. I spent most of the time in my hammock, thereby worrying the bungalow management as to whether I was OK or not! I stayed on Iboih, but it was quite rocky and sea-urchiny so not that great for swimming. The longtail mafia would take you to an island five minutes away for a ridiculous price. That had a lovely beach. It was about an hour's walk to the other popular beach and 13km to a look out point (the local told me 3! - Fortunately I manged to cadge a lift back). I spent one night in the cute main town which is nice for an hour or so wandering around and about 45 minutes to a very long local beach which is lovely in parts.

I'm not a diver, but all of the experienced divers I met were complaining that they had been misled and it was nothing special. Those that just had a few dives under their belt were more than satified.

The people on Weh were pretty nice and resored my faith in humanity after what I experienced in the rest of Sumatra (woman on own for a month).

I thought my toilet-less hut was over-priced, but that seemed to do with the post-tsunami NGO people and their expense account. I met a Malaysian girl excitedly promoting some development so my guess is it will eventually become a playground for rich Malays.

You can still find plenty of quiet places in Thailand, but, of course, the most attractive places attract people. You could always base yourself somewhere quiet and plan day trips to the sights.

#7 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 21:10

• molleydean

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2011

Hi...
    if u have plan to visit weh island,, you guys shouldnt postpone it.. Sabang is beautiful island..
    the beaches rae gorgeous.. I visited Sabang in new year.. it was awesome...
    if you guys really wanna go there,, Id love to be ur guide..
    just contact me at didyn_86@yahoo.com

#8 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 21:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
i want to go see about this island called Pulau Nila ... By worldcitizen999 on 25 Feb 2011 0 2401 25 Feb 2011