Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

East Timor into Indonesia overland, then boat between islands, 2months

• hmeyer

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2010

Hi all,
    This is my first time on Travelfish. I'm a solo female traveller, looking for some advice on the best way of travelling from East Timor into Indonesia. I'd like to cross overland into West Timor and then travel by boat via some of the smaller islands in the archipelago, then Java, Sumatra, and into Malaysia. I have 2 months in Indonesia as part of a 12month trip around Asia.

My questions are:
    - is it possible (and safe) to cross from east to west timor
    - how do I go about travelling via ocean between the islands of Indonesia

Any advice would be appreciated, I look forward to hearing from you!
    Han

#1 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 09:19

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

Of course the exact route by ocean is going to determine which boats you catch, but ferries go to all the islands, but they are infrequent and incredibly slow -- and they often sink. Although there are some resources online and in guidebooks on Pelni schedules, I think it would be incredibly difficult to create a plan in advance. Might be best to roll up into Kupang and figure it out as you go I think.

#2 Posted: 22/11/2010 - 19:47

• queefmeister

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2010

Hi Hmeyer,

I'm planning on doing the same trip, but in reverse in June.

I found this map of the shipping routes, it seems pretty useful (but is 4 years out of date) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pelni_Schifffahrtsnetz_2006.png

The official pelni (the national shipping company) website http://www.pelni.co.id is useful (when it works) also try http://www.pelni.com/ pelni is the most reliable operator, there are several other companies that also run ships and ferries, so you are not tied to the pelni schedule only...just check in the local harbour or with a local travel agent, they will know about the various shipping lines

#3 Posted: 9/12/2010 - 16:21

• hmeyer

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2010

Thankyou for your reply mooball and queefmeister, much appreciated!

#4 Posted: 9/12/2010 - 16:28

• Chamone27

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2010

HMEYER. I would be incredibly greatful if you could keep me posted on your trip. The reason I ask is that I have an idea to buy a small boat in North Viet-Nam, and sail it, through the route you have suggested, and on to New Zealand. I will be heading out to Indonesia in Feb, just for a quick month, to get some info, and see how the waters are. Hope you have fun! My email's whatsthebeefmate@hotmail.co.uk Have a good weekend, wherever you may be!! As mooball suggests, plan your route, do the research, rock up, and play it by ear (And weather!) You can never, really, guarentee the day-to-day sheduling of a trip like that, and the more so, the better! May seem obvious, but pack all our things in canoe bags. Countless time have I witnesed people ringing out their passports, phones, and MP3's. Brilliant! You never know if/when your boat's gonna become a submarine!

#5 Posted: 10/12/2010 - 18:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Indonesia to Timor Leste overland ... By somtam2000 on 19 Jun 2011 2 2086 25 Jul 2011