Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

East Timor into Indonesia overland, then boat between islands, 2months

Posted by hmeyer on 11/11/2010 at 09:19

Hi all,
This is my first time on Travelfish. I'm a solo female traveller, looking for some advice on the best way of travelling from East Timor into Indonesia. I'd like to cross overland into West Timor and then travel by boat via some of the smaller islands in the archipelago, then Java, Sumatra, and into Malaysia. I have 2 months in Indonesia as part of a 12month trip around Asia.

My questions are:
- is it possible (and safe) to cross from east to west timor
- how do I go about travelling via ocean between the islands of Indonesia

Any advice would be appreciated, I look forward to hearing from you!
Han

#1 hmeyer has been a member since 11/11/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by mooball on 22/11/2010 at 19:47 TF writer

Of course the exact route by ocean is going to determine which boats you catch, but ferries go to all the islands, but they are infrequent and incredibly slow -- and they often sink. Although there are some resources online and in guidebooks on Pelni schedules, I think it would be incredibly difficult to create a plan in advance. Might be best to roll up into Kupang and figure it out as you go I think.

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 429
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by queefmeister on 9/12/2010 at 16:21

Hi Hmeyer,

I'm planning on doing the same trip, but in reverse in June.

I found this map of the shipping routes, it seems pretty useful (but is 4 years out of date) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pelni_Schifffahrtsnetz_2006.png

The official pelni (the national shipping company) website http://www.pelni.co.id is useful (when it works) also try http://www.pelni.com/ pelni is the most reliable operator, there are several other companies that also run ships and ferries, so you are not tied to the pelni schedule only...just check in the local harbour or with a local travel agent, they will know about the various shipping lines

#3 queefmeister has been a member since 9/12/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by hmeyer on 9/12/2010 at 16:28

Thankyou for your reply mooball and queefmeister, much appreciated!

#4 hmeyer has been a member since 11/11/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by Chamone27 on 10/12/2010 at 18:24

HMEYER. I would be incredibly greatful if you could keep me posted on your trip. The reason I ask is that I have an idea to buy a small boat in North Viet-Nam, and sail it, through the route you have suggested, and on to New Zealand. I will be heading out to Indonesia in Feb, just for a quick month, to get some info, and see how the waters are. Hope you have fun! My email's whatsthebeefmate@hotmail.co.uk Have a good weekend, wherever you may be!! As mooball suggests, plan your route, do the research, rock up, and play it by ear (And weather!) You can never, really, guarentee the day-to-day sheduling of a trip like that, and the more so, the better! May seem obvious, but pack all our things in canoe bags. Countless time have I witnesed people ringing out their passports, phones, and MP3's. Brilliant! You never know if/when your boat's gonna become a submarine!

#5 Chamone27 has been a member since 10/12/2010. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.