Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Amed, Bedugul and Tanah Lot

• MiaBritton

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2009
    Location New Zealand

Hi,
    My fiance and I are heading to Bali in January for 9 days. I've been to Bali many times as a kid so I have an idea of where to go and what to do, but would love any suggestions.
    Can anyone suggest places to stay in Amed, around Bedugul and Tanah Lot? Under $20, not worried about a/c or pools! Preferably near to or on the beach in Amed.
    Is it worth staying a night around Bedugul, or just stopping on the way to or from Amed?

Also- have a reservation at Bakung Sari in Kuta (Jl. Singosari)- has anyone stayed here? It has very mixed reviews!
    Thank you!

#1 Posted: 24/11/2010 - 22:09

• Advertisement

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

I really like Bedugul (beautiful botanical gardens as well as the lake/temple, and an interesting market in Candikuning), but have always done it as a daytrip. If you find a nice guesthouse in the area, please post.

#2 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 01:57

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I agree with glomer - it's definitely worth a night in Bedugul. The botanical gardens were such an unexpected surprise. They are beautifully landscaped, have stunning sculptures and are a wonderful, peaceful escape from the busy-ness of Bali. Take a picnic lunch and spend the day there.

We stayed at Lila Graha Bungalows, which was a nice little place high up on the hill, giving awesome views over the lake. We had one of the cheaper rooms - very basic fan room. In mid-Oct 2009, we just walked in (rather than booking) and paid 100,000rupiah/night, including a basic breakfast.

Having a car, we enjoyed exploring the surrounding area. Head to Munduk if you can - it's a beautiful drive, and as it's an area that grows coffee, you can stop at one of the coffee 'cafes' and enjoy a good cup of local coffee while enjoying the awesome views.

Amed was also a favourite place in Bali. We actually scored a really good deal at one of the more luxurious new resort-style places called Arya Amed Bungalows. We stopped in because of the free Wifi (which was useless!), and they offered us a 'cheap room'. We sadly had to tell them that it was way over our budget and as we were leaving, they offered us their smallest and cheapest room which was furthest away from the pool. This cheap room was pure luxury and it only cost us 250,000rp/night (normally priced $70USD/night) including a really nice breakfast. We were the only ones at the hotel (off season) for the first 3 days so that the pool, etc to ourselves. I guess they were so desparate for guests that they gave it to us at a incredily low price. If you're travelling off-peak, it definitely pays to ask around! This was by far the biggest treat we had on our trip.

The local restaurants in Amed were excellent, and the locals were very friendly and welcoming. You can go snorkelling over an old wreck off the beach a bit further up - an old US troop carrier that I believe was blown up by the Japanese in WWII. I think it's called the Liberty....

A few kms out of Amed (maybe 10kms?), you can walk up up to the Pura Lempuyang
    (temple). It's about a 3km walk up a big hill, and you pass about 4-5 temples or smaller shrines along the way up. I confess to not making it all the way to the top because it was too bloody hot, and there are apparently 2500 steps up along the way! The views are great on the way up, and I have been told they are fantastic at the top.

#3 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 02:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Some great tips there.If you haven't already, take a look at the Amed section on Travelfish as there are some reasonable budget places listed there as well.

Re the wreck diving busylizzy mentioned, that is the USAT Liberty at Tulamben - you can stay there, but Amed does have a better selection of places to stay.

Regarding Tanah Lot, there isn't much in the way of budget digs in the immediate area, but at Yeh Gangga (around 9km west of there), check out Bali Wisata Bungalows ( http://www.baliwisatabungalows.com ) they start at around 200,000 rp.

I've got more info for Tanah Lot and Yeh Gangga to add to Travelfish, but I'm off to cycle from Kintamani to Sanur shortly, so you'll have to wait till tomorrow!

#4 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 05:39

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"I'm off to cycle from Kintamani to Sanur shortly"
    You're keen!! And there I was thinking that you just laid around in the hammock all day..

#5 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 06:19

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

In low season, $20 is a good price to be aiming for. In higher seasons, $20 is going to be towards the cheapest available in most places. As somtam said, Tanah Lot itself isn't really a great place to stay. Travel further along the coast and things get a lot more interesting -- Yeh Gangga, Balian, Medewi. These are great places with plenty of budget accommodation, but you do need your own transport to get around. I'd recommend that for Amed as well.

I've stayed in Bakungsari before and it's OK. It's definitely one of the older style of hotels around and it is at the budget end of the travel agent type hotels. Still it's OK. From memory it had air-con, hot water and a pool.

#6 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 19:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.