Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

good place to stay for 2_3 months

• bobytwo

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2010

I'm searching for a place where i can spend 2-3 months (December - February) that has charming & atmospheric architecture is surrounded by beautiful nature; offers delicious, affordable cuisine; and just an overall pleasant and enjoyable atmosphere and weather.(not looking for diving_surfing etc)
    is Indonesia budget friendly?i don't care which country as long as is cheap and could stay 2_3 months and just be relax.
    any advice about Indonesia or any other country would be great.

#1 Posted: 1/12/2010 - 09:38

• Advertisement

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

In spite of the recent ridiculousness in connection with Eat Pray Love (Gag), I would still say Ubud, Bali is a strong candidate, particularly if you rent a house outside of town.

#2 Posted: 1/12/2010 - 10:56

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Ubud has my vote as well

Luang Prabang (Laos) would make a good candidate as well if you can find a house on the outskirts. In town, houses (I don't know any but just assume) and food are a bit on the expensive side but still ok and probably on par with Ubud.

also depends on what type of architecture you're interested in.

#3 Posted: 1/12/2010 - 12:15

• bobytwo

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2010

Thanks for replying. I really appreciate your responses.

#4 Posted: 2/12/2010 - 05:26

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

My immediate thought before seeing the other two replies was also Ubud because it really does have a good mix of culture, quiet & relaxed atmosphere and still plenty of western facilities. Sure, the centre of town with its traffic can be a drag, but it's easy to get into a good routine there. You don't even have to stay outside of town to feel as if you're part of a small village...

#5 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 20:27

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Yeah, and the added bonus is that there's also plenty of things to do on the island for daytrips if you want a little change of scenery during those months. That's a bit harder in Luang Prabang.

distant 3rd and 4th would be Kampot (Cambodia) and Dalat (Vietnam)
    Both have beautiful nature scenery around them and are pleasant little towns. Also less expensive as the first two since they are not prime tourist destinations but it also limits the food options while still excellent.
    Architecture and "wandering around" quality is however far less and no comparison to first two.

Cambodia does have some interesting architecture from Molyvann, the greatest Khmer architect with some very interesting Khmer modernist buildings from the '60s. Not architecture that appeals to the (modern) masses but for professional architects very interesting and at the moment there is a project by american architects to document his buildings and rewriting blue-prints that got lost during KR era.

#6 Posted: 4/12/2010 - 10:48

• molleydean

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2011

Sabang (weh island) is a beautiful island... :)

#7 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 22:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Suggestions for a place to stay for 2 or 3 months? ... By rawjer on 15 May 2010 3 1862 16 May 2010
Good place to stay in Dalat ... By madkaw on 13 Dec 2006 2 2321 28 Dec 2006
Friendship Beach, Phuket (Vijitt Resort) - good place to stay? ... By marmo on 30 Jun 2008 0 2699 30 Jun 2008