Indonesia forum

Timor-Leste, advice needed

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've visited here but now I finally have a trip back to SE Asia "planned".
    I say planned, but it's not much of a plan so far! In truth there really isn't much I can plan for at the moment as my schedule will be dictated by others, brief explanation to follow!

Basically I hope this thread will grow arms and legs but hoped that someone out there could help me with information on Timor-Leste, or East Timor as it's commonly known.

So, I will be visiting the country for a very short stay, only perhaps 5 or 6 days in the middle of next year. I will be visiting mainly Ainaro and Manhufahi districts in tthe company of a well known charity.

To cut a long story short I'm trying to get a head start here. So what can I expect when I'm there. Are there any websites that could be helpful? Does anyone have any tales of their travels over there? How does it compare to Cambodia/Thailand etc.

Your help would be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 06:38

• Advertisement

• sammib

Joined Travelfish
    9th February, 2004

Hmm, I was there going back four years, so likely of course things have changed, but I found East Timor to be quite different in feel to the rest of Southeast Asia. It really has a Pacific island atmosphere to it, rather than the hustle and bustle you get further west in Asia.

I only travelled to Ermera from Dili to look at some coffee plantations. Roads were rough but reasonable (compared to Southeast Asia) and in general, the poverty pretty serious. Crime wise, I probably didn't feel as safe as I do in places like Bangkok but maybe similar to Phnom Penh in that there are lots of small arms/machetes etc around. I would prepare just as if you were going to the hinterlands of Cambodia or Laos in terms of first aid kits, etc, and expect to enjoy it just as much too (that is, a LOT -- it's beautiful.)

#2 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 19:19

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Tony from It's Good Overseas has some blog posts up of his recent adventure in Timor Leste. Sounds like a great place! http://itsgoodos.com/

#3 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 20:50

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Thanks very much for your help. I'll make sure I take a look at that blog once I get my internet connection back.

#4 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 19:00

• peter27

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

Quiteinformative blog shared by 'mooball' if one is visiting East Timor.

#5 Posted: 17/1/2011 - 19:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Indonesia to Timor Leste overland ... By somtam2000 on 19 Jun 2011 2 2224 25 Jul 2011