Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

11 days in sumatra

• mefcom

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010

i am flying into medan solo on 06/04/2011 and leaving medan on 17/04/2011 for hong kong.
    i intend to get a bus from medan to bukit lawang and spend 2 days there and then get s bus and then ferry to danau toba lake but that will leave me with about 5-6 days without any plans I dont swim so any activity that revolves around water won't interest me

#1 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 07:26

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Bukit Lawang is a nice place to hang out as is Lake Toba. You could always extend those dates... And also climb one or both of the volcanoes near Berastagi. Gunungs Sinabung and Sibayak. Sibayak is easy to do without a guide -- apparently the other isn't. Apparently there's a few traditional villages around Berastagi that are worth looking at with long houses etc.

#2 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 20:38

• oasis12wyatt

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2010

hello mefcom, i hope all your travels go well...

I've done a lot of traveling in different parts of the world and sumatra is easily one of the most exhausting places to move through. bus rides are long, on one lane roads through mountainous jungle. meanwhile they play their local pop music at full volume and turn the air conditioning all the way up. have a warm shirt and earplugs ready.

The reason i mention this, i don't think you'll have 5 or 6 spare days with the schedule you shared. Any day you have to move is a day you won't do much of anything else. moving from your room in bukit lawang to a room in toba will take a good 10 hours. so, you can't really count that as a day in toba.

Take a look at a map of sumatra. From Parapat (toba) to Bukittingi is an 18 hour bus ride. with only a few spare days, you may want to plan on staying up in the area of toba-medan. look into things right around that area and don't be too aggressive in sumatra.

good luck!!!

#3 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 01:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.