Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

SE Asia in 8 months on budget?

• sallyissxc

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2011

hey all,
    just couriouse to weather i can travel SE asia in 8 or more months spending 1 month in each country roughly, i have about AU$15,000 do you think this will be enough if i live pretty cheaply? also if im only spending 1 to 2 months in each country site seeing and not working do i still need a visa for each country or is a visa just if you plan to work? might be a silly question just a new traveller and leave next month so needing some answers. any help or suggestions would be muchly appreciated? :-)

#1 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 09:59

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

If you're a new traveller, it might take a little while to discover what style of accommodation and transport suits your style. If you're able to handle cheaper accommodation, public transport and local food, $15000 could easily last 18 months in SE Asia. Splash out a little on activities like riding elephants and white water rafting, eat the occasional western meal and use tourist transport, $15000 will last the 8 months and probably no longer.

I spent $20 per day in Burma last year and approximately $40-50 per day in Bali recently. My Bali journey included a hire car for most of the time, usually one western meal per day, a range of activities like volcano treks, a bit of shopping and mobile internet throughout the island. I lived quite well.

$15k will be easily enough if you find a travel groove that is cheap.

Visas are required in many countries in Asia, but a visa when you enter the country is usually given by the immigration officials. That is, quite often you just book a ticket to a country, pay money to the immigration people when you land and you're on your way. It is best, though, to check out the requirements of the country you are visiting before departing as some countries will not allow you to enter without a pre-purchased visa. EG Burma.

Happy travels!

#2 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 11:53

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Posted from within Vietnam.

$15,000 sounds plenty to me. We travelled for 7 months (2 of us) and spent a lot less than that - and we're not budget travelers. It's a bit more expensive when you're traveling alone because of the cost of accommodation and lack of single beds but I don't see that you'll have a problem unless you like living the high life!

#3 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 17:35

• sallyissxc

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2011

thanks for the advice guys that was realy helpful, realy appreciate it, sorry took me ages to right back ive been on my dads farm for almost a week no reception or internet..lol any suggestions where i shoud stay when i arrive in depinsar bali? some where fairly cheap and some where where i can walk and catch transport and thats close to site seeing that wont cost anythink? sal:-)

#4 Posted: 28/1/2011 - 13:57

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

My advice would be to look at the travelfish accommodation guide for Kuta here.

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/indonesia/bali/bali/kuta/all

If you're still stuck, Taman Ayu II and Waringin are my picks!

#5 Posted: 28/1/2011 - 15:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Sally,
    The big budget eaters here are women and booze. I would assume the first is not an issue for you ("romance" for you will almost definitely be free), so unless you're a serious drinker, I would think 15,000 Australian should be fine. The visa issue should be clear now... have a great trip.

#6 Posted: 28/1/2011 - 15:42

• sallyissxc

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2011

wow awsome as thanks everyone, i am getting very excited now its cuming up close, any suggestions where i should go in idonesia good places to see and do, cheap oviously but apart from bali where else is good? i wanna go hiking and snorkle and visit places off the beaten track abit, i want a real adventure? any suggestions? :-)

#7 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 11:33

• robk

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2009

Hello, sounds like you have plenty of spends for your trip depending on what your actually going for... If your a budget traveller then you will have far to much but if you want to go and live the dream and are prepared to spend the lot you could have the time of your life .... Regarding kuta ve not been there for two years but I stayed on poppies lane 2 at BENEYASA BEACH INN it was clean,basic n central to nightlife n close to the beach it has a small clean pool n was approx. £7 a night with breakfast .... Hope thts some. Help ..., we spent 3 weeks on Bali n travelled around it including a visit to the gili islands lots of suffers there it's worth spending 3 weeks there.

#8 Posted: 3/2/2011 - 18:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
(Another!) China + SE Asia budget (3 1/2 months) ... By jonnyrtw on 7 Apr 2009 0 4957 7 Apr 2009
7 months in asia and a £9000 budget ... By Mazusara on 2 Jan 2013 5 1794 3 Jan 2013
6 months in south east asia. Budget question. ... By moss_11 on 8 Aug 2013 9 3367 13 Aug 2013