Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Day trips to Gili Air-Lombok, Kuta-Ubud?

• Nicol

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hi

Please could anyone advise if it is feasible for me to do day trips from Gili Air island to Lombok. As I am staying on Gili air for 3 weeks I thought I could do day trips to Lombok rather than having to relocate to other accomodation on Lombok?

Also for my last few days I wanted to explore Ubud . Is it an option for me to stay on Kuta Beach and go to Ubud for day trips or should I base myself in Ubud for the last few days? I know its 75 min drive from Kuta beach, would this be expensive in a taxi?

Many thanks

Nicol

#1 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 04:55

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Nicol,
    It would depend on where in Lombok you were looking at doing daytrips to. You could go to somewhere like Senggigi easily enough, but points further afield would involve a bit of legwork. Three weeks on the Gilis is a lot of Gilitime!

I'd base myself in Ubud and do a day trip to Kuta rather than the other way around! The drive is closer to an hour (depending on traffic) and a cab should cost 100-150,000 rp - there are also buses that do the run, but they take longer.

#2 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 08:16

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I agree with Somtam - I think you will find 3 weeks on Gili Air quite a long time. The Gili's really are quite small, and won't offer you much variety after 3-4 days!

It depends on what you are looking for, but I would suggest you consider shortening your time in the Gili's to a week or so, then spending a week on Lombok (Sengiggi on West Coast and/or Kuta in the South) just for the variety. And you will probably find that you will want to spend much more time in Bali. Of course, if you don't book your accom in advance, you can change your plans as you go.

To answer your original question, to do a day-trip to Lombok from Gili probably wouldn't be worth it in my opinion - but this depends on what you expect to do/see in your relatively brief time there. You catch the boat over to the mainland (Lombok), then have 45-60min bus ride down to Sengiggi, and another 30min or so to Mataram. This might be OK if you had a specific destination/purpose, but if it's general sight-seeing.....I'm not sure what you would achieve in a couple of hours.

Also - I seem to remember that the boat departure times back to Gili are limited to only 1-2 times per day - you would need to check into this. There was a fair bit of waiting around time when catching the boat from Lombok to the Gili's - waiting for the bus to pick you up, waiting at the other end for the walk from the bus depot to the boat depatrure point, then waiting around to board the boat. None of this is going to be good if you are only there on a day trip.

#3 Posted: 6/2/2011 - 06:09

• laurenladky

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2011

It would be possible to do a day trip to Lombok from Gili Air. You can take a fast boat to Sengiggi. If you can drive a motorbike or don't mind hiring a local to take you around, take some time to explore the beaches between Sengiggi and Bansal Pier. They were remotely empty when I drove past and hugged by local fishing villages. Very very nice. 

I am a bit bias and am more for Lombok rather than Bali. If you want to see what Ubud looked like before tourism boomed, head to Tetebatu, Lombok. 

#4 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 14:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bus from Kuta (Airport) to Ubud ... By chopin on 9 May 2014 8 1739 27 May 2014
Some information about Kuta Lombok ... By tezza on 16 Nov 2011 0 4082 16 Nov 2011
Kuta, Lombok - Hideaway no more . . . what else ... By caseyprich on 18 Mar 2012 7 4251 9 Jul 2014
Lodging Review-The Spot, Kuta Beach, Lombok ... By Wandering_man on 22 Nov 2010 4 4345 6 Jul 2012
Best airport from Gili: Lombok or Bali? ... By stephanMc on 3 Sep 2014 3 535 4 Sep 2014
All Lombok or Gili Air (and general Indonesia advice) ... By caseyprich on 23 Feb 2012 6 2840 6 Mar 2012