Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

do i need a return flight for indonesia?

• sallyissxc

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2011

hey guys,
    flying into bali soon just have a one way ticket, not sure how long i wanna stay just going with the flow realy, do i have to have a return flight to get a visa there and can i purchase a 90day visa at the air port? sorry new traveller, am travelling SE asia for about a year any help on visas or needing return flights for countrys in SE asia would be very appreciated?

sal:-)

#1 Posted: 15/2/2011 - 14:53

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I believe you can only get a 30-day visa when you arrive at the airport. If you want a 60-day visa, you have to apply ahead of time at an Indo embassy. (Not sure if they do 90 day visa's).

To apply for a 60-day, you need to send your passport along with money ($70NZD by memory) and proof of exit ticket.

If you plan on getting 30-day visa on arrival, it's up the airline as to whether or not they will allow you to board. You would probably be OK, but it's a risk. I would suggest that at minimum, you have a printed out itinerary that shows your intention to leave the country.

You may find info on this NZ-based Indo embassy site useful: http://www.indonesianembassy.org.nz/consular/consular.php

If it were me (and it WAS me, year before last!), I would pay the $, buy a cheap Air Asia ticket from Bali (or other Indonesian city) to Singapore, KL or Bkk for 59 days after you arrive. You should be able to do it for less than $40 easily. Then apply for the 2-month visa before you leave. (Having the visa ahead of time also means you get the shortest queue at the airport when you arrive!).

This gives you the most flexibility. Worst case, you throw away your cheap ticket because you have a change of plans. Best case, you've had an awesome 2 months in Indo, but you need to leave anyhow because your visa has expired.

I think you would have no problems filling up 2 months in Indo. (Or 3, if you can sort out a 90-day visa)

#2 Posted: 15/2/2011 - 16:32

• sallyissxc

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2011

thats great thanks love, hey just another question i leave saturday how do i apply for a 2 month visa and where do i if im in nsw australia? cant seem to find any info on what to do getting sressed?

sal :-)

#3 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 08:47

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I googled 'Indonesian embassy sydney' and came up with this:
    http://www.kjri-sydney.org.au/

Have a look on there - but honestly, you better get on your skates if you want an extended visa before Saturday. You might have to settle for a 30-day one, on arrival.

#4 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 10:26

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Don't know about the NSW consulate, but in Bangkok the embassy requires a proof of a return flight and the 60day visa takes about 3 days to process. You apply in the mornings (only) and get the visa in the afternoons (only) a couple of days later. I've seen people trying to get a visa faster than this there....and failing.

Sounds like you won't have time to get a 60 day visa and will have to get the 30 day visa on arrival....don't know if they need to see a flight out for that or not. Phone the consulate nearest you to ask. The VOA costs $25 US so bring some American dollars with you too!

#5 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 22:12

• cisdeluca

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2011

You can get a 30 day visa on arrival ($25 USD) and extend for another 30 days (another $25 USD) at immigration inside the country - it is not necessary to get the 60 day in advance.

After you are in the country for 60 days you must leave the country.

#6 Posted: 25/2/2011 - 15:00

• denzuke

Joined Travelfish
    27th February, 2011

Assuming you have the 30 Day Visa, and have to leave after 30 Days. You mentioned you're travelling for like a year in South East Asia.

Then best suggestion to contemplate and plan more is to book a flight out using AirAsia.com
    If you can project your travel plans for the next 6-12 months, you could book really budget fares. From Bali, there are so many choices. DPS-KUL (4 or more flights), DPS-BKK, DPS-HKT (Phuket), DPS-SIN.

Most SEA countries will allow 30 days. I think for Malaysia you get more because of Commonwealth Status!

Then roughly zoom into a location 30 days: Bangkok, Vientienne, Hanoi, your pick. Even go back to DPS if you love it!

The only catch is book early, plan early, and you'll get super fares that will leave you a lot more to spend on other things.

#7 Posted: 7/3/2011 - 23:27

• Reisender

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2011
    Location Germany

You actually dont need a return flight. A printout of an online flight reservation for a return flight is sufficient for getting a tourist visa.

#8 Posted: 2/4/2011 - 10:32

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

That may depend on which consulate you use Reisender. The first time I applied for a 2 month visa in Bangkok a travel agent friend printed out a spurious return flight booking for me ...and it didn't work!

Besides, if you're using a cheap airline company like Air Asia for your flights, they won't give you a flight reservation to print out unless you've actually paid for the flight.

AFAIK anyway!

#9 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 17:14

• foieslinger

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2009

We arrived in Bali a few days ago and immigration was quick and painless. They didn't ask to see proof of a flight leaving Indonesia. Get a 30 day visa at the airport then you can get a 30 day extension later on. The immigration official said there are offices in Denpensar and in Jakarta for the extension but there are also lots of companies who will do it for you.

#10 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 19:41

• Advertisement

• KhowNeow11

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2011
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 49

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey all, I know this is a fairly old thread, but I'm in a similar position and so am wondering if anyone has any more recent experience with the Indo VOA, particularly in reference to the onward travel requirement.
    Really would rather wait to book my onward travel, but im not trying to get stuck at immigration, so if i have to buy a ticket before i leave than so be it.
    flying HCMC to Jakarta, let me know if you know something i dont!

#11 Posted: 6/9/2012 - 23:41

• KhowNeow11

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2011
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 49

if anyone is still wondering...

i arrived in Jakarta at 23:30, and getting the VOA couldn't have be easier... walked up to the window, handed over my $25 USD, and got the visa reciept. Simple as that, no itinerary, no convo, just money handed over and deal done

maybe the guy at the window was just tired, or not terribly vigilant about procedure, but that was my experience anyway, for what it's worth

#12 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 10:27

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the report KhowNeow11 -- Thanks :)

#13 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 23:33

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

In my experience the return flight requirement is checked when checking in for your flight (sometimes) but never at immigration in Indonesia. I was stopped from boarding a flight because of it and had to book a $15 flight on my phone on the spot and show the confirmation to the check in person. Just search for flights from places such as Palembang, Banda Aceh and Medan to KL on airasia.com if you want to be 100% sure that you'll be able to board your flight to Indonesia.

#14 Posted: 21/9/2012 - 03:22

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

No matter where you are in Indonesia it'll take you 5 working days to extend it. And it shouldn't cost more than 250000IDR. The taxi's or scooter rental will :) I had to return to immigration a total of 3 times in Denpasar and twice in Surabaya . If you are in Surabaya you might want to bring a translator with you as the paperwork will not be in English. I have never been asked for a sponsor.

#15 Posted: 21/9/2012 - 09:49

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I flew from Singapore to Jakarta in July on a one-way ticket (I'm Canadian, but live in Singapore).. the immigration officer at the airport asked to see my return ticket. It took a lot of talking, but I managed to convince them that I had an AirAsia ticket but hadn't printed it out.

Other times they've never asked to see it! It really depends on who you get at the immigration counter.

#16 Posted: 21/9/2012 - 12:37

• undersky_on-
    thel

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2012

Take a look this link for Visa 90 days. http://indonesia.visahq.com/

No need to have return ticket.You can buy over there.

#17 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 21:40

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

In regards to @SBE post #9 - Does anyone have any recent experience getting their 60 day visas in Bangkok? Are they still as strict about the onward ticket issue as they were in SBE's case in 2011? I'll be heading there in June and would like to plan accordingly

#18 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 04:25

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

I have never used Bangkok, but all the others I have used specify this as a requirement. Most recently in Australia I was denied until I provided a return ticket. Prior to that in KL I didn't provide one although it is required and they approved it.

If you don't want hassles, just book a cheap $20 flight out of the country.

#19 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 07:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Do I need a return flight to enter Japan? ... By cybermutiny on 10 Dec 2013 0 630 10 Dec 2013
return flight london / kuala lumpur for 300 GBP for sale ... By vesperon on 15 Oct 2009 0 2895 15 Oct 2009
60 day Visa from Uk for Indonesia - Obligation to return from employer? ... By miller24 on 14 Aug 2013 0 627 14 Aug 2013