Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

4 weeks in Indonesia: your ideal itinerary!

• champp

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2011

Hey guys, I will be spending 4 weeks in Indonesia in June. I know it's not a lot of time for the hundreds of awesome places in Indonesia, but I was just wondering where would you go with that time? I was thinking of spending about 1 week in Bali, 4-5 days in the Gilis, and take 2-3 days to climb up Mt Bromo. But that aside I'm all ears for your suggestions!

Cheers

#1 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 10:30

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Ok, if you've got 4 weeks, I'd suggest mix-and-matching from any of the following:
    - 3-4 days in Legian/Kuta/Sanur to just get a bit acclimatis to the craziness of touristy Bali. Spend some time at Beach, etc
    - 4-5 days in Ubud, with various day trips from there - lovely walks through rice paddies, Kintamani volcano (be sure to go down into volcano area)
    - 1-2 days in West Java (there was a recent article on here about some great snorkelling - check out the Blogs section or there might be a link on the Indonesia page)
    - 4-5 days in Java (Mt Bromo, Yogyakarta to see Borobudor)
    - 2-3 days in Amed area (snorkelling over a shipwreck, a lovely area not quite so touristy)
    - 2-3 days on Lembongan (a small island off to SW of Bali; get a boat from Sanur, about 1 hr. A lovely island where there are virtually no cars, very friendly people and a fantastic place to explore by scooter, especially if you haven't ridden before)
    - 4-5 days in Gili Islands (maybe check out Trawangan and Air or Meno)
    - As an alternative to some of the above, spend 7-8 days in Lombok. Hire a car/bike and circumnavigate the island. It's an interesting island, and much lower key than Bali. If you are into climbing, etc, go to the top of Rinjani.

Not sure what that adds up to but you read up on them and pick and choose as you want. Also - don't overplan. Have an idea of your itinerary, but just see how you go. There is so much to do in Bali alone that you could end up changing your plans once you are there.

#2 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 12:45

• champp

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2011

What about the boat trip that leaves from Bali and goes to a couple of islands including Komodo. Is that worth it? If yes, any companies to recommend?

Thanks again!

#3 Posted: 22/2/2011 - 21:31

• missrizqi

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2011
    Location Indonesia

Dear Champp,

I don't think 4 weeks is enough to explore all the highlight of Indonesia, it is better if u decide what do u want to do in here. Lets just say u're into nature and sport then u could dive at Komodo Island, Gili island (Lombok), Bunaken (Manado) or even Raja Ampat (west papua, the best dive spot ever). Or if u're a lot more into culture and art or even architecture, then u should visit Jakarta old Town, Indonesian Miniature Park (Jakarta) , Yogyakarta , Bali, Sulawesi (Tana Toraja, Manado), Sumatera (Padang), and a lot more since Indonesia had various architectural philosophy in each city or region.

But if i may suggest ur Itennary for 4 weeks it would be like this :
    1. Spend 1-2 night at Jakarta --> Indonesian Miniature park (recommended for 1st timer)
    2. Go to Yogyakarta (Central Java) --> spend 2 -3 night check Kraton, Borobudur & Prambanan Temple
    3. Go to Mt. bromo (eastern Java) --> Spend 1-2 Night
    4. Go to Bali --> Spend 2-3 night at Kuta, Spend 2-3 Day at ubud
    5. Go to Lombok --> Spend 2-3 Day at Gili
    6. Go to komodo Island --> There is a plane or a boat from Bali/Lombok to get here, it is worthed to come here, way more relaxing than Bali spend 3-4 Day here
    7. Back to Bali, go to Tana Toraja by plane, its an hour flight from Bali to Makassar, and it took 7-8 hour driving to get to Tana Toraja, just enjoy the view :) Spend 2-3 day
    8. Back to Makassar, Go to Manado and dive at Bunaken Island spend 2-3 day here
    9. From Manado go to Sorong by plane --> Spend at least 7 day here

Hope this helps, and obviously 4 weeks isn't enough :)

#4 Posted: 23/2/2011 - 02:43

• blye18

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2011

Champp,

I am travelling throughout Indonesia in June for 4 weeks and was also looking for a rough itinerary, so thanks for beating me to it! I have heard that hiking Mt. Rinjani is amazing; Senaru is the main access point to this park, and looks like it is home to some amazing waterfalls as well. Also, Bukit Lawang, Sumatra looks great too, although this seems like quite a distance from Bali and Lombok. Travelling solo for those 4 weeks?

#5 Posted: 10/4/2011 - 13:25

• ecbaker

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2011

Hey! I spent about 4 weeks in indo this past fall. This is what I wrote to someone else with itinerary idea (note, this person and I were on a budget of about 30$ a day/person, I traveled this with my boyfriend):

Flew into Jakarta. Spent 2 nights (1 full day really) here. It is an okay city, but not really much to do/see and with so much other stuff in Indo, why waste your time?!

Train to Yogakarta. Note: this train is early! so when we arrived late at night the first night, there was just no way to make the next morning train unless you get up early and get to the train station, plan on staying another night in Jakarta. We stayed in the backpacker area (its small, but there...) and that was super close to the train station. You can take a shuttle bus from the airport to the train station, then taxi for a few bucks to the hostel area...

In Yoga there is lots to see and do. It is touristy, but touristy as in filled with Indonesians more than foreigners...Its a great place to check out Indonesia art and of course as mentioned above: Borobudur. There are tons of tours for this, but we decided to find it on our own (on moto). That was an interesting choice. Issues we had: we got lost....a lot! There are not a lot of signs. Other issue: we left to late in the morning...arriving an hour before it closed. This was a bummer as we just didn't have a lot of time at the temple. Also, in the summer it rains a lot...and yes, it rained for at least 1/2 of our trip! haha sounds horrible, but it was defiantly fun at times and part of the adventure. Also, a $5 scooter is much cheaper than a tour...something to think about if you feel up to it! P.S. BRING A STUDENT ID!!!! If you have one (even if its a bit old) its WAY cheaper to get into Borobudur...like at least 1/2 price....which is a lot when Boro is $15 a person

After Yoga we went to Bromo. For Bromo we paid for a ticket all the way through. What we did not realize was that part of the expensive ticket price was a VERY overprices hotel room for the nice. The room was nothing special but something crazy like $45 a night. Also, this is a long trip (takes 10-12 hours). So, we arrived late at night, and they wanted us to get up at 4:00 Am to see the sunrise, then get on a bus at 9:00 am on to Bali. Gross! So, we decided to stay an extra day and simply found our own accommodations- look for home-stays if you are trying for cheap! For some reason Bromo was simply a very expensive place to stay (plan on a mediocre room at best-shared bathroom for 10$) . Not sure why?! Anyways, the first day we woke up when we felt like it, and found a new place to stay once we found out the price to stay an extra day. Then we walked to the volcano crater. There is stairs leading to the top. From the top we hiked all the way around the crater- this was awesome! Bring snacks/water. This is a lot longer hike than it looks. After that we just bummed around the town, ate etc. Went to bed early and got up about an hour-hour and 1/2 before the sunrise (ask around to find out what time it is....i cant remember). We found other people interested in hiking to a lookout for the sunrise. This was MUCH better than taking the jeep tours offered. I guess the jeep tours (a friend of mine did this...) bring you to a different lookout, but you will be sharing your view with TONS of other people. I shared mine with the woods and 5 friends smile.gif The hiking lookout is well-known. Just ask around and someone will give you directions. After the hike, we ate breakfast and caught the next bus on to Bali. Really there is not much more to do here. Just tell the people you are staying another night, they really don't care what day you take the bus on to Bali, just make sure you know the time and pickup place! P.S. Bromo is FREEZING! I mean really cold...especially in the summer..surprising i know! So just be prepared for at least a few long sleeves and a sweatshirt or a light jacket and pants, shoes, socks etc. Oh, and don't plan on having a hot shower unless you want to pay $$ for it. What i suggest is to shower before you leave and plan on simply not showering for the 2 days you are there.

On to Bali. We didn't spend a lot of time here, and actually went straight through to Lombok, returning at the end of our trip as this is where we were flying out from. I do however regret not spending more time here. On Bali we did Ubud and actually chose to stay in Padang Bai for a few nights as well (this is where the fast ferry takes you to the Gili islands. Padang Bai is actaully a pleasant area, but I probably wouldn't have spent this much time there if it wasn't the end of our trip and we simply didn't feel like moving! What we did instead was take day trips from there to other places (rented moto- $5).

The Gilis (T and Air) are pretty awesome, especially if you want to snorkel right off the beach. There is TONS of beautiful Coral that surround these islands. As for the feel of them: Gili T is more Ausie's on spring break feeling. Lots more going on here than on Air, but depends on what you are going for. I spent 2 nights on T, and almost a week on Air (got a little carried away). Air has a more laid back feel to it...defiantly sees a lot less traffic. T has a million horses to shuttle people around. Air probably has 3. Air also like I said has amazing snorkeling...maybe even better than T (I can't really remember T's snorkeling in comparison to Air). I never went to Meno, but that is even more secluded and less going on. They call it the honeymoon island so it really depends on what you are looking for. There is a public boat in the morning (find out the time, get there early so you get a spot!) that goes between the Gilis for cheap. This boat can also take you to Lombok for the same cheap price. And this is what we did after the Gilis. Once again, I wish we could have spent more time on Lombok! But we simply got stuck on Air because we liked it so much. As for things to do/see in Lombok, well what we did was stayed a night in Sengiggi. This was a fine place to stay when in transit, and a great place to rent a moto. What we did (and i highly suggest doing!!) is rented a bike for a few days. We asked the place we stayed to hold our bags and they did so happily. You can also try to ask the bike people, just be aware of who you are leaving it with what makes most sense to you! We then packed our day backpacks with what we needed and headed towards Kuta . FYI- Kuta Lombok is amazing, not to be confused with Kuta Bali...totally different. In Kuta Lombok you will find miles and miles of beautiful beaches...with little to no one there! it was really awesome. Great vibe-just an awesome place. Another FYI- there are NO atms here, and people don't take card often, so I suggest you make sure you have enough $$. We had to leave a day early because the $$ ran dry! The closest ATM is about 45 min drive away. After Kuta we actually headed back to Sengiggi because of time constraints, but our friends who did this before us told us this was the roadtrip they did and loved it:

"Sengiggi to Kuta to Tetebatu to Senaru, back toSengiggi. amazing. non-touristy off the beaten track for sure. we made insurance deals with the guys first. like the max we could have to payfor the bike was $200 or something. Sengiggi is a good place to rent the bikes."

They traveled SE Asia for 6 months, and this is one, if not their favorite thing they did! Really you can't go wrong! From Lombok you can take a fast ferry (much more $$) or a slow ferry (cheaper-takes longer...) back to Bali. I would highly suggest flying out of Bali and not backtracking to Jakarta. If you just have to do it this way, I would then suggest looking into airlines. I am not sure if Air asia does this trip, but there are tons of little airlines in Indo as travel is long and difficult.

Well I hope this helps, and if you have anymore Q's just ask!

#6 Posted: 11/4/2011 - 02:05

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

I think spending 2 weeks on 2 islands might be a good idea. And for me, that would have to be 2 weeks Java and 2 weeks Bali. When you're on those islands, there's plenty to see and do and you won't get bored. It also won't be too fast. You could fly into Jakarta and out of Denpasar and do the rest of the trip overland. It'll give you a good mix of touristy stuff, beaches, eating, culture and some off the beaten track areas.

#7 Posted: 28/4/2011 - 13:34

• ezytrav

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2011

go to pulau 1000 / island seribu its a nice in north jakarta

#8 Posted: 4/5/2011 - 16:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Indonesia: 5 weeks ideal intinerary ... By atramiz on 22 Jan 2012 5 3005 25 Jan 2012
a month in Indonesia - ideal itinerary? ... By travelinchen on 19 Mar 2011 41 28454 12 Jul 2011
Two Weeks in Indonesia - itinerary help ... By RJB2288 on 13 Feb 2013 6 12252 22 Mar 2013
Itinerary - Indonesia - 6 weeks (First time backpacker) ... By firsttimeindo on 10 Aug 2014 6 325 10 Aug 2014
6 weeks itinerary Vietnam & Indonesia - is this vaguely realistic? ... By Lettie2012 on 3 Jan 2013 37 4574 16 Jan 2013
3 Weeks Indonesia August / September, help with itinerary / travel suggestions... ... By nochnbier on 19 Apr 2013 4 3578 28 Jun 2013
your ideal itinerary ... By walkingtrees on 15 Jul 2010 4 2398 21 Jul 2010